Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soulless

Atolladero - Single map (GZDoom)

I tested it in UV (I had to cut in half my playtrhough in 2 days cause I didn't expect it to be so long x) ).

I have to say this is a great piece of work!

Despite it being huge, the map is very well made and very detailed both in architecture and texturing.

Maybe it's a bit too bright and colorful for what I'd expect to be a Doom carnage map, but it's definitely not an issue (if one day you want to bring this map in other formats, I think it would be great to add different light colors throughout the map, to give the perfect ambiance for the "orangish" sky).

Really impressive the use of middle texture and ceilings to create some amazing details, almost giving the impression of 3d floors.

I never felt bored navigating the map.

The same goes for the entire layout: it's really amazing how you managed to put this all together.

The only tiny complaint that I have is about switches: I couldn't find a reason to why some of them use the "green/activated" texture when they're not yet activated, so, especially in the latest game, I couldn't really tell what I pressed and what I didn't.

Despite that and the map to be almost an open world, I have to say that I never really felt lost; maybe kinda overwhelmed by the huge amount of possible choices at times, but I managed to complete it despite my default hate for this kind of maps x), so I think that you can get all the merits.

Monster/items placement and traps were perfectly balanced, nothing impossibly dickish (except for the 3 archviles trap on the outside, that's quite always insta death without knowing it in advance, but you're allowed to have 1 of these traps in a gigantic map like this x) ) and nothing cheesy.

The great thing is that you give the player tons of choices, yes, but you give him the proper amount of gear in every path a player might choose and that's what I'm generally looking for in non-linear maps, not the "you need to follow the right path or you just die trying" thing.

I haven't found any type of bug or glitch (a couple of secrets though opened up for unknown reasons and didn't feel like secrets).

I couldn't find the yellow skull unfortunately :(

Fantastic job!

Thanks a lot @Kan3, that reading made my day!

Not sure about the secrets you mentioned, maybe a shootable wall that got hit by a hitscanner?

I will take a look and re-check some of the triggers, just in case.

Anyway, happy to hear you didnt encounter any technical issues.

Anxious to watch your footage @Biodegradable, always a pleasure to watch!

Hope it wasnt too rough this time around, I think I made a little mess with the last one haha.

I played this today and got to say: awesome stuff! Neat visuals and combat encounters. Nothing too challenging.

I did get stuck twice however. The second time I had to open Doombuilder to find how to progress to the blue key.

That teleporter does not look like a teleporter and is in a weird place. 

I also had some sound issues (my own fault) so I'll do a second playthrough and record that instead. 

1 hour ago, Soulless said:

Thanks a lot @Kan3, that reading made my day!

Not sure about the secrets you mentioned, maybe a shootable wall that got hit by a hitscanner?

I will take a look and re-check some of the triggers, just in case.

Anyway, happy to hear you didnt encounter any technical issues.

Np! This deserves more spotlights :D

I was referring to the red skull key and you're right about random projectile hit (I checked in UDB cause I was curious to find the yellow skull)

Sorry for the confusion @Pistoolkip, I was feeling too creative the day I made that teleport heh

I tend to experiment with this kind of stuff and give it a "mechanical vibe", if that makes any sense.

Thanks for giving the map a try sir.

@Biodegradable, I enjoyed that video ALOT, everything went pretty well.

I saw a little ceiling detail that I left unfinished, noted it for the final version.

Thanks for your time as always!

Here's the video!
This is my second playthrough so I avoided wandering around like a headless chicken, but it's still a big map so settle in. 

@Biodegradable joined me and I'm glad he did cause my head is so unscrewed I didn't even notice I picked up the rocket launcher. Get ready to yell at the screen lol. Ps wish I was up to snuff to find your secrets. You hid then too good for me lol - elaborate stuff. I hope more ppl get on this and discover em! Fights were fun as always you own otex. Just great stuff man

Thanks a lot for the (second!) playthrough @Pistoolkip, loved the step by step review while you were making progress,

as I mentioned before, I took some liberties for that brand new UAC teleport model, I will make sure nobody has to look into the editor

by making that thing a bit more intuitive.

These two outlaws, @Clippy and @Biodegradable sure have some kind of chemistry together, and that video made me laugh

so much it was almost therapeutic. - Is that a rocket in your pocket?  Seriously bud, tell me where do you want a rocket launcher, you deserve it!

You did somehow skipped a trigger at the top of the waterfall where the 1st plasma rifle is located, that will be fixed for the final version.

Good times for sure!

New link added for version 1.3

Fixed a line skip, and also added a little sign for more intuitive progression:

Spoiler

6WqXESs.png

Really fun map!  I feel like I say it every time but you've gotten very good at using OTEX.  There's a solid overall theme, nice detailing, and fun use of Doomcute--I loved the little monitor room.  While I did get turned around a few times, I never really got lost.  All of the different areas, inside and outside, have a distinctive look prominent landmarks.  I had a good time exploring and figuring out how all the teleporters and connections worked.  Balance overall felt good to me.  Maybe a bit easier that your last mapset but with a big, exploration-focused map like this I think it's better to have more supplies than less.

Other stuff:

• In the fight near sector 1614 (the area near the center where you can get the RL and PG), two of the cacos and one of the PEs that release in the previous hall got stuck on the wall there and never made it to the arena.  I'm not sure if that's intended or not.
  • Minor complaint, but I thought the grade on the stairs by the green door in the south of the map (sector 561) was slightly too steep and made the combat there awkward.
  • The BFG fight with the cyberdemon and all the archviles/imps in the ring around the bottom was really fun.
  • I thought the final fight was a bit easy but I also waited until most of the barons were dead to grab the soulsphere, so the caco swarm didn't have any help from other monsters.

I was not so good at finding the secrets on this one.  I've only got 3/8 so far, but I have a save at the end so I'm going to look again.  I'm always intrigued by secret keys!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Salmon. Yeah, I think people who played noticed the map is definitely easier than previous ones,

but I think it was a good choice for a more enjoyable adventure.

About the other stuff you mentioned, those stuck monsters are intended to stay on the hall for your return,

but sometimes they also make an entrance through the door.

Ill take a look about the stairs, noticed this on the videos posted.

The final fight is another spot that might get a change, really useful to know how it escalated for you.

Best of luck with the secret hunt if you go for it, let me know if you need a tip on those skull keys!

time to play! Will post a video later :)

EDIT: just finished the map, it was awesome!

I will try to upload today, it's a big file (1 hour video), and then i will leave it here.

Great great stuff

Edited by Zolgia108

Welcome back @Zolgia108, hope you find the time and the right mood for mapping again, "Happy" is one of those megawads

that brings me very fond memories, and thanks for passing by and give Atolladero a shot, by the way, Atolladero means big problem,

inspired by the comic book called "Texas Atolladero", bizarre material to say the least. The comic also had a movie adaptation

starring the legendary Iggy pop.

About the video, thanks for the kind words buddy, glad you enjoyed the map.

I agree with you, red key area feels unbalanced, gotta give it a final thought,

switching some monsters could be an option, thanks for pointing this out.

New update, plus files merged, added link in the description.

Some changes made for the red key area, and other minor stuff, hope theres nothing else that need a fix.

Thanks everyone who played for the highly valuable feedback!

Edited by Soulless

Very cool map unbelievable work you got here. The only "problem" I had was with the lift (you will see what I mean in the video).

Here is the way to long video:

On 1/17/2022 at 11:07 PM, Soulless said:

Welcome back @Zolgia108, hope you find the time and the right mood for mapping again, "Happy" is one of those megawads

that brings me very fond memories, and thanks for passing by and give Atolladero a shot, by the way, Atolladero means big problem,

inspired by the comic book called "Texas Atolladero", bizarre material to say the least. The comic also had a movie adaptation

starring the legendary Iggy pop.

About the video, thanks for the kind words buddy, glad you enjoyed the map.

I agree with you, red key area feels unbalanced, gotta give it a final thought,

switching some monsters could be an option, thanks for pointing this out.

Thanks a lot mate, i enjoyed the map quite a lot, what i pointed out wasn't really a mistake but just a minor thing that maybe could change it and make it even better :)

I am always glad when i see your maps, count on me if you need any playtesting ;)

I will try to map again in the future of course, an thanks for the kind words

Thanks for playing @azerty, just in time to test RC1.

I understand what you mean with the lift mentioned, is a little shortcut (optional access) and I wanted to

put a fancy metallic texture, that one made the cut because of the size.

Red key area isnt still what I had in mind, but still packs a (little) punch.

Hey!  I just finished playing this and wanted to post to say that I really enjoyed it.  Great visuals and, for me at least, just the right difficulty on UV.  Hope you make some more maps like this one!