Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ContrastSaturation

[RELEASED!] The Bikini Bottom Massacre

On 3/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, ContrastSaturation said:

Thanks a lot for the playthrough and criticism, it's very useful to me! I've tried to make some changes based on it already, but I'll continue to make adjustments as necessary. I definitely agree that the Squidward boss fight was too much, although maybe the final boss should be harder?

I think the final boss map is fine as is. I did sortta rush through it rather than kill everything. I could see changing it so that you have to kill the mobs before the next section opens up but if you do that I'd think you would at least need more ammo pickups in each section. And probably a little more health and armor pickups? 

3 hours ago, DeathwingDuck said:

I think the final boss map is fine as is. I did sortta rush through it rather than kill everything. I could see changing it so that you have to kill the mobs before the next section opens up but if you do that I'd think you would at least need more ammo pickups in each section. And probably a little more health and armor pickups? 

The final boss had more than enough ammo to kill everything though. I had some trouble at first but once I knew what to do and some good camping spots, it was easy.

The MAP09 fight, was harder but I think ammo was okay.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:15 AM, Zulk RS said:

The final boss had more than enough ammo to kill everything though. I had some trouble at first but once I knew what to do and some good camping spots, it was easy.

The MAP09 fight, was harder but I think ammo was okay.

You might be right. I'm just guessing since I went for only killing things in my way as opposed to going out of my way to kill them all, so I only got a glance of the ammo pickups. 

Well, it happened. Viacom DMCA'd the wad. Out of every Doom wad based on a licensed product, I don't see how mine overstepped the line, especially considering the existence of another SpongeBob Doom wad.

Still, this was a good learning experience and I plan to make more wads in the future.

RIP Squidward

Just now, ContrastSaturation said:

Well, it happened. Viacom DMCA'd the wad. Out of every Doom wad based on a licensed product, I don't see how mine overstepped the line, especially considering the existence of another SpongeBob Doom wad.

Still, this was a good learning experience and I plan to make more wads in the future.

RIP Squidward

Damn dude. That sucks.

I guess the popularity on YT got their attention? With the IGN video and all?

6 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

Damn dude. That sucks.

I guess. Never really heard of this happening to a doom mod before. Maybe it's a testament to the quality? Even so, I don't see how that would really be an issue, who tf thinks "fuck battle for bikini bottom, I'll play this doom mod instead!"

1 hour ago, Pistoolkip said:

Damn dude. That sucks.

I second this. I think the other Spongebob Doom wads are nowhere near as popular as yours, which really says more about the quality of yours than anything. Also probably the fact that you play as Squidward committing mass-murder has something to do with it. I'm not trying to justify Viacom. It's not really justified I don't think. But I'm just trying to see the reasoning behind the take-down.

Given the exposure the mod got it was bound to happen someday.

8 hours ago, ContrastSaturation said:

I don't see how that would really be an issue, who tf thinks "fuck battle for bikini bottom, I'll play this doom mod instead!"

Maybe Viacom, is obligated to protect their intellectual property whenever someone "threatens it" otherwise they risk losing their claim to it whenever someone else does the same. IDK about american copyright laws, but maybe it works like that.

The corporate reason this got struck down:

Dark theme

Popular

Can be monetized, despite doom community not monetizing it's creations and mods.

Ad revenue.

That's the combination of reasons that took it down. If anything, it is a testament to the popularity, and thus the quality of the modification.

There's plenty of SpongeBob fangames that got more attention that this one (even ones with a dark theme)... Maybe it was the music? I guess there's little point speculating now. Thank you to everyone for playing

the download still available, good for me XD

still though, kinda sucks that some multi million dollar company DMCA some free mod for 27 years old game

2 hours ago, ContrastSaturation said:

There's plenty of SpongeBob fangames that got more attention that this one (even ones with a dark theme)... Maybe it was the music? I guess there's little point speculating now. Thank you to everyone for playing

It's the growth that matters. A map or a modification getting hundreds of interactions days within it's release is going to raise eyebrows and most companies will find a reason to strike those things down.
A map or modification or even a game that has slow growth is not deemed a threat to income usually. 

6 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

the download still available, good for me XD

still though, kinda sucks that some multi million dollar company DMCA some free mod for 27 years old game

When the message came out, I decided to go ahead and download the latest v 1.3 while it was still up. I hope to replay it again some day.

Hey man, the Bikini Bottom Masscare is FANTASTIC!!!

I really enjoyed this wad, so you can make a "Weapons Only" mod to play this masterpiece with any megawads???? :)

If you do that i really really appreciate the help dude!!

Yesterday I saw this Wad go a little viral and even pop up in places like IGN's YouTube and decided to give it a try. And here is my review!

Just as a heads up, I haven't played much of the older Dooms in a hot minute, so take my review with a grain of salt.

Story 8/10

The story felt pretty solid, better then a good chunk I've seen, it helped further expand upon the

Spoiler

creepypasta of Suicide Squidward

and I quite liked it, I'd explain more but my brain is cloudy. Not bad :)

Gameplay 4/10

As the maps got gradually harder, as expected, it became more tedious/niche with the amount of enemies there were, and the maps started getting extremely bloated where you had to constantly rinse and repeat gorilla tactics to advance through the maps, and with the scarcity of health and sometimes ammunition, and an absolute ABBUNDANCE of rockets, it doubled down on the difficulty. I found it quite boring at the second half, and it made the game itself extremely difficult and less enjoyable. I wasn't able to beat the campaign without cheating. Call me a noob if you must.

Again, I'm not a consistent Doom wad player like I used to, so I feel that many people can disagree with me here, and that is completely fair, this is more my opinion then anything.

Visuals 10/10

I felt that the author was able to quite effectively encapsulate the Spongebob Style! I quite enjoyed the way everything was presented and the creativity the author put into making the weapons and enemies feel different and expressive, although they're mostly just reskins. Your quality helped the mod stick out far better then other Spongebob wads.

Maps 9/10

Again, take this with a grain of salt if you will!

I loved the maps visuals, the author expanded upon the city of Bikini Bottom making it feel quite immersive and enjoyable, while still keeping the maps at a Doom level, I thought they were absolutely great! My only criticism is it was easy to get lost at the second half of levels and a lot of the time you would be backtracking through the horde of enemies.

Final Review

(7/10)

To people that want to play the game casually, I find it quite difficult due to the bullet-hell that is the gameplay. To the more experienced players, I think they'll have a relatively great time with it. The visuals are great and the maps are brilliant, it's just a bit difficult with the mass amount of enemies were you would just get sandwiched and killed within seconds,

Spoiler

especially with the bubble blowing machines that were invincible, that really added onto the bullet-hell experience.

It took me about 3-4 hours to beat this WAD, and I'd say that's probably how long it'll take you.

Bummed hearing it got taken down from ModDB, prob cuz of the music. Sorry that happened. I know you put a lot of effort into this mod and I wanted to say that I'm quite impressed with it, bravo!

If you do continue working on it, make a sequel, etc etc, I'd love to play. Spongebob was a huge chunk that helped me in my childhood, and the ending with

Spoiler

Hillenburg put a tear in my eye.

Thank you for everything!

- Celery

Edited by Celery

This was one of the best WADs I had played in a while, due to its creativity and its great execution. The environments and characters were very faithful to the original art style, it really felt like it was straight out of the cartoons.

Very sad to see Viacom thought this was worthy of a DMCA takedown. I'll look forward to what projects you have in the future.

So just passing through with a question:
How do these forums treat links to files that have had a takedown?

I ask because ModDB's download start page and archive for this WAD is still available on their servers, which makes the continued distribution their issue legally. Technically it can still be downloaded if you have the correct link, but obviously I don't want to post it if it'll cause trouble here.

Edited by FelesNoctis

On 3/18/2022 at 4:45 AM, Losvaize said:

Can anyone share this via anonfiles? I want to play it lol.

Same. Was hoping someone would come in clutch with a backup link.

Fuck Viacom. Greedy fucks, leave that shit to Nintendo. It's so wonderful when you spend months/years on end creating a tribute to something only for it to be taken down. Companies like IGN know that giving exposure to a mod like this (and it earns that exposure in terms of quality) can likely result in a takedown, but they do it anyway. Glad I downloaded it so I can totally not distribute it to anyone I want.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:08 AM, Mad Butcher said:

It's still up on Mod DB: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/start/229311

Grab it while you can, the link won't last long.

Thank you very much! I was thinking about playing this since it came out and today had a few spare hours. Saw that it was down and hoped that I could still 'source' this from somewhere.