Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MowEmDown

Why was there nothing new in doom 2?

9 hours ago, BigBoy91 said:

Whatchu talkin about bruh? Doom 2 was full of new stuff. You contradicted yourself right off the bat.

Like Frost-Core said, it felt kinda more like a doom 1 expansion, I wouldn't call it "full" of new stuff and I'm not seeing this as a very bad thing too, I was just wondering why. I got my answers though, never actually knew it was made only in 10 months!! Im dumb when it comes to doom stuff because I only really just play it and forget stuff about it too so there's that.

Edited by MowEmDown

The original plan with Doom was to have a shareware release, then the two extra registered version episodes with more content and a commerical release of the game with more content and a nice big box. That commercial version ended up becoming Doom 2. The registered version was also put in stores in the form of The Ultimate Doom, and they added a new episode to it to make it a bit more interesting and fresh. That fourth episode has a lot of quality content and some meh stuff. Given that it was free, it's great stuff though.

I think here in Europe the first game was available as a boxed edition quite early. Calling an overseas toll number in the US and then paying for international shipping for one single game would have made it a costly affair. The mail model worked well for the US, but not in overseas territories. You'd also have problems with language barriers and the like if you wanted some sort of call/mail release of the game.

Personally, I thought Doom 2 was a nice updated from Doom. I agree that they did not go over the top with adding loads of new mechanics or engine updates but it was a nice balanced release with the SSG and a load of new monsters, all in a set of new maps and music. Doom is a nice formula and they did not over-tweak it and I am glad they didn't. 

30 minutes ago, zokum said:

I think here in Europe the first game was available as a boxed edition quite early.

Australia was the only country where Doom received a retail release. Every where else had to call the number and order the game to be delivered by mail

16 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Australia was the only country where Doom received a retail release. Every where else had to call the number and order the game to be delivered by mail

I seriously doubt that is true. How the hell do you expect someone in France to call an American number. Who at id software spoke french or polish or spanish etc. Why only Australia? They at least speak english. An overseas call or snail mail would add a substantial cost to the game.

I think importers simply bought copies in bulk and had the resold at a minor profit in various countries. It might not be considered a retail release by some, but was sold in retail stores. My cousin bought Doom that way, I think it was version 1.2. Id most likely knew about it and didn't care, they were legit copies which they got paid for and they had none of the hassle of setting up distribution.

A lot of retail stuff is sold in that manner. Shops buy product in bulk from the producer and sell them in their store(s).

From the Official FAQ:

"Here is accurate information regarding DOOM's legality.

(1) DOOM purchased directly from (800)-ID-GAMES is NOT illegal.
        (2) The registered version of DOOM purchased in ANY retail stores
within the United States is illegal.
        (3) The registered version of DOOM purchased on CD-ROM ANYWHERE
is illegal.
        (4) The registered version of DOOM purchased in retail stores
OUTSIDE of the countries listed below is illegal.

Australia
                New Zealand
                Hong Kong
                Taiwan
                Singapore
                Netherlands
                UK

(5) The registered version of DOOM purchased in retail stores in
Canada is illegal.
        (6) The shareware version of DOOM purchased anywhere (on CD-ROM
or otherwise) is LEGAL."

There is your answer.

Well, not really. That document is only up to date as of December 10th, 1994, just a short few months after Doom II came out.

From 1995 onward distribution was absolutely more widespread, the number of ever-so-slightly different boxes registered Doom and Doom 2 came in is frankly mind-blowing, and that's only what's known by the 10 Doomers out there who actually collect/document any of this stuff. Doom didn't become a multi-million seller hit by being hard to come by, heh.

21 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Yeah that’s nonsense.  Got mine in the UK via retail stores.  Back then, importing via the US would have cost about 3x the games price in taxes alone.

21 hours ago, zokum said:

How the hell do you expect someone in France to call an American number.

Here: https://www.abandonware-magazines.org/affiche_mag.php?mag=30&num=608&album=oui

Scroll down to page 92 in the Heretic test article and there's a whole box dedicated to explaining that this game will be available in France, contrarily to Doom that you had to pirate... And that the shareware episode was only sent to retail chains along Doom II. (So you could buy Doom shareware or buy Doom II full. Decisions, decisions.)

Likewise, the shops that published their ads in gaming magazines generally didn't list Doom until Ultimate Doom happened. They did list Doom II. When they did list Doom, it was usually with an "NC" mention instead of a price (meaning "nous contacter", "contact us", because I suppose what they did was that they offered to order it for you instead of shipping it).

That aligns better with what I remember, a retail release in other countries than Australia. As for id's idea about the legality of the software bought elsewhere, I don't think it would hold up in court at all. At the time id had some strange ideas about licenses, like the Data Utility License: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Data_Utility_License

On 5/24/2022 at 5:03 PM, Azuris said:

Have to agree here, the clearer episodic Format was more Fun for me.

As some mentioned, i also like the used Textures and Color Palletes in Doom 1, Doom 2 just feels soo brownish.

Also, don't forget the Intermission Screens that show where you are.

I think this and the episodic Format gives a better Feel of Progress.

Would have been cool to see how you battle through Earth.

But i like both Games ;)

I too prefer the episodic format, and I can be a stubborn pistol starter/restarter myself, but I also like the continuity that can occur without it. It’ll be difficult for someone to accept that Doomguy basically throws away his best weapons inbetween episodes like how Jamie Lee Curtis tosses her knife in Halloween.

….sure do miss those intermission screens, though. They help give an idea of where you’re going through the levels and what they were trying to do with them.

5 hours ago, zokum said:

That aligns better with what I remember, a retail release in other countries than Australia. As for id's idea about the legality of the software bought elsewhere, I don't think it would hold up in court at all. At the time id had some strange ideas about licenses, like the Data Utility License: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Data_Utility_License

They were explaining that if you found such a copy (something purporting to be an officially licensed registered Doom), then it was unlicensed, as id didn't have any retail contracts for Doom in the US or Canada - they only offered the game by mail order or phone registration. Back in the day a lot of smaller software stores had their own home-grown piracy scenes. Slap some stuff onto floppies, put it in a jank-ass-looking box, and sell it for less than the MSRP so you're competitive. Probably wasn't unusual to walk into those and find registered Doom for sale.

If you somehow found the Australian version in the US, then it would have been licensed. Whether or not selling it in the US was legal or not is a rabbit hole I'm not prepared to go down though.