Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kgsws

ACE Engine v2 - DOS Doom II [vanilla++?]

1 hour ago, kgsws said:

Yes. I will make a post here and also update the first post. Version 2 is so much more advanced than version 1 or old proof-of-concept demos documented on Doom Wiki.

When you get to updating Doom Wiki just note that ACE Engine is different thing than ACE Engine demo WAD. Yes, demo wad uses ACE Engine but it also includes a ton of replacement content (weapons, enemies, textures, episodes). This content is not ACE Engine itself, it just runs in ACE Engine and (G)ZDoom.

For example, if one would delete ACE Engine lumps from demo WAD, it would become plain (G)ZDoom mod.

ACE Engine V2 will be available as a WAD file in releases on my GIThub.

As most doom mods, demo WAD contains a resources from other sources (doom, hexen, heretic ...) and so i don't want to host it on GIThub.

I hope i can put my demo WAD to /idgames. Many WADs there seem to contain such resources without issues.

-= UPDATE =-

end30.gif.a26fe225c3dbb938e88d502a53c04ac0.gif

acetmap.gif.a6a2b2243072fa35bf95b4f610f9e624.gif

Anyway. Demo WAD is finished!

Now i just have to make documentation ... and release video, of course.

Very exciting!!! Can't wait to see it!

Now I really can't wait to see this come out, like damn the difference between V1 and V2 is like night and day!

On 6/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, Noiser said:

I'm seriously thinking of making something special for this. The engine looks incredilble!

How's your Dehacked thing going?

This is really, really impresve, I don't even know how to express in English how cool I think it is. So I'll just congratulate you for the achievement and the rest of the community for what's to come.

Edited by RataUnderground

Demo released? OH BOY I GOTTA GET TO DOSBOX RIGHT NOW SHIT ITS HAPPENING WOOOHOOOOOOO

Yeah, please don't make videos yet. I am gonna make one properly showing all the features of my demo WAD.

Recorded from real hardware.

Just yesterday I was able to finish my custom build with Celeron 2.4GHz/FX5500/512MB RAM running both Win98SE and WinXP, I think I'll get back to it just to see how it performs.

5 hours ago, kgsws said:

Well, video and documentation will take a few more days so ...
itisout.gif.42ddc6661e1b75c3bb8446231bee65b2.gif

https://doomshack.org/uploads/ademo0.zip
DOS Doom2 v1.9 only! (or ZDoom)
doom2 -file ademo0.wad

Yeah, it's a pure, WAD only exploit!

Now you can try it while i work on video and documentation.

I have tested it on 100MHz 486 DX4 and some locations are quite overkill ...

There are probably bugs and stuff ... but yeah. It is out.

I will update first post later.

(when playing, don't forget, there's jumping and weapon alt attack now)

EDIT please don't make videos yet. I am gonna make one properly showing all the features of my demo WAD.

This... is the most impressive thing I've ever seen someone do with vanilla Doom. Like...

Fuck.

Very rad. I liked the colored lights blending, and I liked chicken fightin.

Just tested it on DOS. This is unbelievable! John Carmack must be proud of you.

P.S.: I've noticed that "weird staff" instead of chainsaw doesn't make any noise while attacking...

9 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

Congrats on the demo! can't wait for the full release

I do gotta ask if it's normal to be getting 1 fps on Dosbox?

That's weird , are you using dosbox 0.74 or the fork DosBox-x ? 

Oh be sure to crank up the cycles until it shows 100% 

Hey uh real quick, i wanted to say that i've tried using the demo with zdoom and it says "Invalid state parameter a_playsound" so you might want to correct that to be gzdoom or fix that, either one should help.

1 hour ago, LuciferSam86 said:

That's weird , are you using dosbox 0.74 or the fork DosBox-x ? 

Oh be sure to crank up the cycles until it shows 100% 

I'm on dosbox 0.74-3-3 for OSX on my macbook air m1 and i do have the cycles up to 100%

That's relieving to know that it seems to be just an issue with my machine, It could just be the translation between intel and apple metal screwing up

16 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

I'm on dosbox 0.74-3-3 for OSX on my macbook air m1 and i do have the cycles up to 100%

That's relieving to know that it seems to be just an issue with my machine, It could just be the translation between intel and apple metal screwing up

Yeah it's the reason .

DosBox-x seems have arm builds for mac. You could try those. 

16 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

dosbox 0.74 or the mac?

34 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

I mean dosbox since it's for x86 and not arm

11 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

I do gotta ask if it's normal to be getting 1 fps on Dosbox?

I guess not. It works well in DosBox for me.

2 hours ago, Redead-ITA said:

Hey uh real quick, i wanted to say that i've tried using the demo with zdoom and it says "Invalid state parameter a_playsound" so you might want to correct that to be gzdoom or fix that, either one should help.

That seems like outdated version of ZDoom or something. It works for me in latest GZDoom.

3 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

P.S.: I've noticed that "weird staff" instead of chainsaw doesn't make any noise while attacking...

Yeah, that staff is super silent. It won't alert enemies at all. It won't make enemies enter pain state because that would alert other enemies too.

I am gonna have to update demo wad a bit. I guess you are all playing with very low sound channels which downgrades the experience.
It can be changed in ace.cfg (generated once you run the game) and it's this line sound.channels 16 .

Any other bugs experienced so far?

37 minutes ago, kgsws said:

Yesterday during my test one of the elevators in the shower area of the cyberdemon got glitched when I loaded the game I had saved there. Unfortunately I have no video and by the time it happened it was late, so I just turned it off and went to sleep.
The effect was as if the doors were opening and closing several times per second letting you see a HOM between them, quite strange. 
If I manage to replicate it I will post it.

17 minutes ago, RataUnderground said:

Yesterday during my test one of the elevators in the shower area of the cyberdemon got glitched when I loaded the game I had saved there. Unfortunately I have no video and by the time it happened it was late, so I just turned it off and went to sleep.
The effect was as if the doors were opening and closing several times per second letting you see a HOM between them, quite strange. 
If I manage to replicate it I will post it.

You can send save game files. Those pretend to be bitmaps in directory ace_save. I wonder if doomworld would strip level data ....

58 minutes ago, kgsws said:

That seems like outdated version of ZDoom or something. It works for me in latest GZDoom.

The version i have used was the latest version of zdoom which is 2.8.1 which was the final release prior to its discontinuation

i'd recon that prehaps you should have tested it before stating it, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, LuciferSam86 said:

I mean dosbox since it's for x86 and not arm

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I was too busy playing the Ace demo after getting my setup figured out! (it runs flawlessly, btw. thanks!!!)

1 hour ago, kgsws said:

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but for some reason there is no sound at all and there doesn't seem to be any music present in ACE demos. I've tried both Dosbox-X and Dosbox Staging.

24 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

The version i have used was the latest version of zdoom which is 2.8.1 which was the final release prior to its discontinuation

i'd recon that prehaps you should have tested it before stating it, but that's just me.

OK, that version is outdated :D It does not have A_StartSound at all.

I guess i should have stated GZdoom compatibility instead. I did not realize how old last ZDoom release is.

8 minutes ago, DGrey said:

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but for some reason there is no sound at all and there doesn't seem to be any music present in ACE demos. I've tried both Dosbox-X and Dosbox Staging.

There is no music in ACE Demo levels. However sound should work. You have to setup sound in classic doom first.

ACE Engine will copy configuration from Doom on a first start.

Delete ace.cfg, setup sound in Doom2 and then try to run ACE Demo WAD.