Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technicolor

Why is there invisible officers in the secret level of Wolf 3D's Episode 4?

If I knew about invisible officers, I wouldn't go for the secret exist. I am playing it in Skill 3. That is where the game ends.

Did ID Software make it deliberately to be remotely unfair (How am I supposed to shoot them if I can't see them?), or is it a game error?

Edited by Technicolor

It's actually a limitation of the game engine which causes this.  It's an issue with the sprite rendering due to too many active sprites at once causing them to appear to teleport and be invisible.  It might have been a known limitation and they abused it just for the sake of making that level a ton harder than it needed to be.

Apparently this is the intended path through the level to avoid being overwhelmed.

image.png

Also, you don't have to memorize the map above. Just follow the path that has the blood smeared on the walls, and it will take you in that direction.

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

Apparently this is the intended path through the level to avoid being overwhelmed.

image.png

Tab button doesn't open map. Is there actually map in original wolf 3d?

Such a thing doesn't exist in keyboard option either.

mry0egv.jpg

Edited by Technicolor

17 minutes ago, Technicolor said:

Is there actually map in original wolf 3d?

No.

Wolf 3D has no maps. The maps that you find online are generally screenshots taken from the level editor.

Like I said, the designer of this level put blood on the walls to help you find the exit.

If you want access to a map while playing Wolfenstein 3D, you might want to use a source port like ECWolf. I also believe this will fix the bug with the enemies of this map being invisible.

With that said, the game never intended you to fight enemies in this map so do this at your own risk.

56 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

If you want access to a map while playing Wolfenstein 3D, you might want to use a source port like ECWolf. I also believe this will fix the bug with the enemies of this map being invisible.

With that said, the game never intended you to fight enemies in this map so do this at your own risk.

I didn't know something like GZDoom existed for Wolf 3D.

How does one get it?

Edited by Technicolor

Honestly, with the Dos limitation, E4M10 is not even that hard to begin with.

The map posted by AndrewB is captured by an editor, not from the game itself.

If you wanted a close feeling of Dos but don't want the Dos limitation, use SDL version instead of GZDoom TC. The GZDoom TC has too much change from the original behavior.

2 hours ago, Dumpster_Kitty said:

http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/download.php that's the link for it. Also screw that level. Always hated it. ECwolf adding the map helps so much especially in the bigger endgame levels

I got it.

Edit:

I would like to be able to play by chosing 2 buttons for strafe right and left but no turning right and left when I do that. It doesn't allow it.

Edited by Technicolor

38 minutes ago, Technicolor said:

I would like to be able to play by chosing 2 buttons for strafe right and left but no turning right and left when I do that. It doesn't allow it.

It has been a while, but I am pretty sure ECWolf allows that.

24 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

It has been a while, but I am pretty sure ECWolf allows that.

With 2 buttons for strafe left and right, unfortunately there is nothing to disable turning.

1 hour ago, Technicolor said:

With 2 buttons for strafe left and right, unfortunately there is nothing to disable turning.

Can you just un-bind those keys? I'm 100% sure ECWolf allows you to do that.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

This is less about dealing whether or not ECWolf allows this, and more about dealing whether or not OP is able to understand basic explanations.

This isn't a sleight of hand rather a observation.

25 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

This is less about dealing whether or not ECWolf allows this, and more about dealing whether or not OP is able to understand basic explanations.

Disabling Y Axis does nothing for Keyboard.

There is either one strafe button like in orginal Wolf 3D or Strafe Right and Left buttons but if I use those buttons, I can strafe and turn at the same time.

What I want is, when I use strafe right and left buttons, I want to be unable to turn right and left at the same time like in original wolf 3d.

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

This is the main control below. There isn't anything to disable my turning while I strafe left and right with 2 buttons.

In customize controls inside, there isn't any disable option.

IMG_20221209_035443.jpg

7 minutes ago, Technicolor said:

This is the main control below. There isn't anything to disable my turning while I strafe left and right with 2 buttons.

In customize controls inside, there isn't any disable option.

IMG_20221209_035443.jpg

Have you tried pressing backspace on the b¡nd? Or Del?
Usually that's enough to unbind, or simply bind them to a key that you'll never use

Also, can you clarify what do you mean by "strafing with two buttons?" Are you referring to holding the Strafe Key and then Look Left or Right? Or am I mistaken?

6 minutes ago, xX_Lol6_Xx said:

Can you clarify what do you mean by "strafing with two buttons?" Are you referring to holding the Strafe Key and then Look Left or Right? Or am I mistaken?

2 different buttons for strafe right and left instead of using one strafe button with turn right and left buttons, which is hard to do for me.

I wanted to disable turning while I use 2 strafe buttons (such as A for strafe left and S for strafe right).

Ah, I get you now, as far as I know ECWolf doesn't have any toggle option for that, so the best I can suggest you is simply not turning when strafing.

You could also try Wolf4SDL, another port of the game, I'm not sure if it still presents the bug you were complaining about or if it has any automap, the movement should be identical to vanilla though

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I honestly don't understand why this is even a question, so I was assuming that both "turn left" and " strafe left" are the same key so he's turning left while strafing left, but it seems that's no the case.

Also, I play with original scheme and don't use dedicated "strafe left/right" buttons to play, so well. Or, you can say I'm just adding fake content count to my account because I didn't actually care about the outcome :P

43 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I honestly don't understand why this is even a question, so I was assuming that both "turn left" and " strafe left" are the same key so he's turning left while strafing left, but it seems that's no the case.

Also, I play with original scheme and don't use dedicated "strafe left/right" buttons to play, so well. Or, you can say I'm just adding fake content count to my account because I didn't actually care about the outcome :P

I find it hard to hold strafe button and press turn right and left buttons to do strage right and left movements.

I wanted to use strafe right and left buttons instead but at the same time, to disable turning while I am doing strafe right and left because I will press forward and backward along with left and right. To disable turning would be a need.

My hands will make the movements since newer classic fps games have strafing and turning at the same time. To disable turning would solve the problem for Wolf 3D.

Edited by Technicolor

I'm very confused by what you're describing.  Let me see if I have this straight: You want dedicated strafe keys (i.e. WASD).  But if either of those strafe keys are pressed then your turning is disabled?  For example with standard WASD, you'd want your mouse completely disabled while A or D is pressed?  If so, can you explain why you'd want that since that's an incredibly weird config?

3 hours ago, Blzut3 said:

I'm very confused by what you're describing.  Let me see if I have this straight: You want dedicated strafe keys (i.e. WASD).  But if either of those strafe keys are pressed then your turning is disabled?  For example with standard WASD, you'd want your mouse completely disabled while A or D is pressed?  If so, can you explain why you'd want that since that's an incredibly weird config?

It is because I find it hard to strafe with one strafe button, then press turn right-left buttons.  I wanna disable turning because I would press right-left buttons by mistake when I press forward and backward while strafing, which means turning and strafing at the same time.

I see it as cheating since you are not supposed to strafe and turn at the same time in the game while going forward or backward.

Edited by Technicolor

Your request is too specific (as I don't believe any significant number of people would use it) to add to ECWolf at this time.  At some point it will have a more flexible binding system like GZDoom and then it would be possible, but that's not a near term thing.  Obviously this implies that the Wolf3D TC for GZDoom could be the best option for you if you really want to treat that limit as a part of the game design (I would be shocked if id software had a round table discussion and said "we shouldn't allow the player to strafe and turn at the same time").  But then of course you wouldn't be running the Wolf3D engine anymore.

If I recall correctly DOSBox has a key remapping feature which may be able to combine alt+left/right into a single button.

There's probably software out there that can create key macros as well if all else fails.

Did the official Wolf 3D port on x360/PS3 have proper strafing? I completed all levels in all 6 episodes with maxed kills, secrets and treasure (aside from the aardwolf maze level, fuck that) years and years ago, and I feel I wouldn't have done that without proper strafing

I played the first couple of episodes with ECwolf and although a decent source port, the game controls, lives system, maze levels with no maps and unmarked secrets all really pissed me off and I gave up.

Later I was recommended Brutal Wolfenstein which I was a bit skeptical about but it basically fixes all the games problems and makes it look nicer too. I presume there are options to tone down then the gore if that bothers you but at least the controls are smooth and you have a map. After playing both I think the changes made to gameplay are an improvement.

21 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

maze levels with no maps

ECWolf does have a map feature but it's not mapped by default. You have to assign a key binding to it in the options.  

On 12/10/2022 at 7:23 AM, Devalaous said:

Did the official Wolf 3D port on x360/PS3 have proper strafing? I completed all levels in all 6 episodes with maxed kills, secrets and treasure (aside from the aardwolf maze level, fuck that) years and years ago, and I feel I wouldn't have done that without proper strafing

As long as you don't press a button for speeding,  strafing is okay, I think.

Same for turning.

When speed is on, movements go too much.

Edited by Technicolor