Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NihalRahman123

Nihal's Pallette Collection - [Update 6.2] CGA Palettes!

The effect of the color changes is immediately noticeable and I really like it, I was trying to make something like this for a while and I never managed to get it to look this good.

I think the result does not look very balanced brightness-wise, there's too much contrast and the colors are overly saturated. If this is what you were going after then cool, but personally I find it a bit excessive

8 hours ago, NihalRahman123 said:

They are also large images sorry about that :p

I don't think this matters since you spoilered them all, but just to let you know, if you add a lowercase L to the filename before the extension on imgur, it will auto-resize it to be max 640x640. It's a cool feature that not a lot of people know about. Smaller sizes are available too, see this for some more info.

example: https://i.imgur.com/uGpfVa4l.png

uGpfVa4l.png

Anyhow this is very high contrast, will have to try it in game to see how it looks, seems like you did a good job though.

Made some major changes to the post. Also update the palette to have a balanced version with toned down contrast but keep the vibrant colors. Also plan on making many many more palettes in the future so keep an eye out.

need to figure out a faster pipeline to make and test palettes. 

Here is a interesting test.

Q6pfouC.png

Upcoming new palette: Bipack

Oldschool 2 strip film process, no green is seen anywhere everything is either a shade of red or blue or anything in between. You get blue bfg shots and tracers, blue baron projectiles, blue barrels etc. Rad suit effect is now a nice blue color instead of green. Damage and item flashes are a modified shade of orange and yellow.

Optimized my palette workflow so I make crunch out palettes much faster and iterate quicker.

z2sTC2l.png

Screenshots

Spoiler

yWSIiW9.pngiOdxR3L.pngrpWuJ0F.png

the download for the base palette in the OP seems to be for the punchy variant

is there a link for the balanced version, too?

12 minutes ago, liPillON said:

the download for the base palette in the OP seems to be for the punchy variant

is there a link for the balanced version, too?

Oops! forgot to update the download link, fixed now. Try the link again, it should be a zip with both wads

Next up: Orthochromatic palette

Its a black and white palette, but not a digital black and white palette. the weights of the different colors are based of orthochromatic film, which means anything red will appear darker and anything blue will appear much lighter, this helps with separating tones between the 2 colors and creates for a black and white look that is better than your average black and white look. Damage effects , item and rad suit are tints with colors, but there will a version where even those are black and white for purity's sake. This palette will naturally be darker than normal doom and that is something if altered will not look the same

V3FjIbQ.png

Screenshots:

TH4Zk2t.png59dyLeN.pngVB18WX8.png

Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal! (sorry, couldn't help lol)

Nice palettes btw. The first one is rather subtle to me, if not a bit too contrasting perhaps. The monochrome one would be good for mappers aiming to make mapsets centered around early 20th century silent films, horror, etc.

1 hour ago, taufan99 said:

The first one is rather subtle to me, if not a bit too contrasting perhaps.

A balanced versions exists which is more akin to dooms normal contrast, and ye it is subtle, but major changes are in the blues, reds and greens, with whites having a blue shade to them (and various other minor changes).

Also thank you!

Next up going to experiment with CRT colors and maybe halftone print emulation, we will see. Ill make more artistic palettes after these 2

While experimenting, it seems assuming a wide gamut for the default palette ends up creating a nicer palette with slighty muted extreame colors like blues and the pink patch, this might a good candidate for Vanilla+ style palette.

Edited by NihalRahman123

Next up: Luminous

Luminous aims to make bright parts of the palette even brighter, giving it a senstation of high exposure. It also aims to fix the yellow skewing of some explosion and fire sprites to retain a more natural color. Greens are brighter, blue patch it brighter too. significant changes to red and orange patches. Things will have a pseudo-brightmap vibe without using brightmaps. You will see significant changes to weapon muzzle flashes, monster projectiles, green colored anything, plasma rifle effects, fire and red colored effects etc. there are some misc minor changes. Other than that, no major aesthethic changes are made, most flats and the overall look should still feel like doom, just glowing things are more glowy.

This is most likely going to get updates in the future, because making things brighter is a delicate balance between not breaking a certain spirtes and flats and making things look nicer with high luminosity

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Ingame:

Spoiler

These are captured in DSDA Doom

JjQGGWG.pngvRI8M7a.pngwpF3rHw.pngB5qnhvR.pnghGuOhnR.pngMsuV6WH.png

Certain Sprites:

Spoiler

These are captured in Slade 3:
Zas2OYv.pngiXObGWj.pngm55SFk1.pngqnIjNib.pngnfqPvx3.pngtq7Eul3.png

You should notice they no longer have the sort of out of place yellow colors in these effects, they look much more natural

This is really cool. I play Doom generally with an assortment of mods onto it, so I noticed that when I played the game with the Orthochromatic pallette and Smooth Weapons Enhanced, the weapons were still normally colored. Is that to be expected? Also, congratilations. Playing this gave me major Sin City vibes. 

BFG and punch

12 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

This is really cool. I play Doom generally with an assortment of mods onto it, so I noticed that when I played the game with the Orthochromatic pallette and Smooth Weapons Enhanced, the weapons were still normally colored. Is that to be expected?

BFG and punch

Smooth doom uses png spirtes, which dont get affected by palette's, including certain graphics in your HUD mod too, tho hud not getting affecting by palettes isnt that big of an issue. There is a thread where someone converted it to doom gfx that can use palettes in doomworld, hope that helps! Here is the post: Here

Simple fix would be to use the palette tonemapper.

Speaking of which I need to make a Sin city palette proper with the reds being visible.

also that CRT shader is neat 

Edited by NihalRahman123

Thanks for the reply, Ill check it out. Why do they use png for sprites, though? Damn, I'm still really a novice in this after all. And thanks for the compliment, I really like the shader too. Here it is with the punchy pallette. It looks really good.

Spoiler

54m3fnc.jpg

IwqT5mA.jpg

mIvg3uV.jpg

U4GEzQ2.jpg

Edited by jo2ukegappy

54 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

Thanks for the reply, Ill check it out. Why do they use png for sprites, though? Damn, I'm still really a novice in this after all. And thanks for the compliment, I really like the shader too. Here it is with the punchy pallette. It looks really good.

Cant see the images, broken links?

10 minutes ago, NihalRahman123 said:

Cant see the images, broken links?

Sorry, tried to link from google drive. Apparently it doesn't work as I thought it woudl .Should be fixed now. 

3 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

Sorry, tried to link from google drive. Apparently it doesn't work as I thought it woudl .Should be fixed now. 

Love it with the CRT shader

3 minutes ago, NihalRahman123 said:

Love it with the CRT shader

Thanks, I just posted it here in case you want to test it.

2 hours ago, NihalRahman123 said:

If anyone has any sort of palette requests ( niche little thing i know but still ) , lemme know

Grindhouse Palette. I think you know what I mean.

4 hours ago, NihalRahman123 said:

If anyone has any sort of palette requests ( niche little thing i know but still ) , lemme know

Mexico in American movies palette.

image.png.b5513d83ce240a43860336c5bc0b1b6e.png

And Maybe Gen 6's piss filter, as a joke, if you feeel like it.

image.png.223237466132b8ac1d3a1ad562f99242.png

[Edit]

Also, don't know if you've seen it, but this is a sprite map museum kinda thing that allows you to see all the sprites for the monsters in-game easily. Might help with your color mapping. 

Edited by jo2ukegappy

6 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Grindhouse Palette. I think you know what I mean.

Aight, [ Ok i think im a little confused but you can take it up to DMs if you want ]

4 hours ago, jo2ukegappy said:

Mexico in American movies palette.

image.png.b5513d83ce240a43860336c5bc0b1b6e.png

And Maybe Gen 6's piss filter, as a joke, if you feeel like it.

image.png.223237466132b8ac1d3a1ad562f99242.png

[Edit]

Also, don't know if you've seen it, but this is a sprite map museum kinda thing that allows you to see all the sprites for the monsters in-game easily. Might help with your color mapping. 

Alright. Also sprite museum seems helpful, but slade is pretty good at previewing, tho that might be good for final tests.

19 minutes ago, NihalRahman123 said:

Done! Check OP for more info
AVXx6ZI.png

Really cool, I really enjoyed the purple armor and purple arachnotron's eyes.

801550677_gzdoom2023-08-1400-07-21.jpg.65a60e00eabcdad62b693cc42f601e1e.jpg

16 hours ago, NihalRahman123 said:

Aight, [ Ok i think im a little confused but you can take it up to DMs if you want ]

What I mean is like the kind of colors you see from filmstock from the 70s and early 80s, especially in low-budget b-movies and stuff like that.