Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[MBF21 Community project] Paint-It Doom. Get creative with simple colors... again! But now with Ancient Aliens palette [Unlimited slots!] [We are past deadline for new maps, finishing phase]

Pretty much entirely on a whim, because I didn't want to speedmap, I started working on a map for this. I don't have much yet.

doom33.png.bdf547b584d5949d5a1c47f1282fd725.png

5 hours ago, SpaceCat_2001 said:

Added some new skies, and changed Vaporwave sky resolution. If anyone has any questions/need help about importing skies into the wad just ask me

Just to avoid mistakes, this one contains skies from your previous post as well, right?

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Just to avoid mistakes, this one contains skies from your previous post as well, right?

Yes

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20240121_162610.png.c7244b156cd7c067174f4380bc54bb28.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240121_162726.png.37d64296908469aa9d8205897b8df5e2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240121_162833.png.a2f25675a0d97e2ddeea6edfface6b0f.png

Starting to develop the layout and visual motifs for my submission. No fights yet but ideas have been bouncing around in my head like a Windows screensaver.

8 hours ago, Gothic Box said:
  Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20240121_162610.png.c7244b156cd7c067174f4380bc54bb28.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240121_162726.png.37d64296908469aa9d8205897b8df5e2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240121_162833.png.a2f25675a0d97e2ddeea6edfface6b0f.png

Starting to develop the layout and visual motifs for my submission. No fights yet but ideas have been bouncing around in my head like a Windows screensaver.

>No fights

>Four Cyberdemons in the background

Jokes aside, this looks really cool, it reminds me of American carpets that were popular in restaurants and gyms in 1970s and 2000s

Edited by SpaceCat_2001

This seems like a fun concept.

I think I"ll dip my hands into some paint for this, if you don't mind. ;)

So how exactly do I set these things up as a usable sky in the game? I can only seem to select square flats for ceilings which aren't skies, but I wanna use one of these but UDB only lets me select "flats" whenever I point to the ceiling and filters away the skies for wall selection only.

halpmysky.jpg

14 minutes ago, OniriA said:

So how exactly do I set these things up as a usable sky in the game? I can only seem to select square flats for ceilings which aren't skies, but I wanna use one of these but UDB only lets me select "flats" whenever I point to the ceiling and filters away the skies for wall selection only.

halpmysky.jpg

Set F_SKY1 as the ceiling texture for the sector that will display the sky.

Create a control sector

Select a line, tag the line with the same tag as the sector that will display the ceiling in game.

Make the Upper Front texture of the line the sky texture you want to use.

Assign the line Action 271 for a standard sky.

There's a flipped sky action (272) that can also be used. That one will display the texture as a sky but rotated 45? degrees.

Edited by DeetOpianSky

22 minutes ago, DeetOpianSky said:

Set F_SKY1 as the ceiling texture for the sector that will display the sky.

Create a control sector

Select a line, tag the line with the same tag as the sector that will display the ceiling in game.

Make the Upper Front texture of the line the sky texture you want to use.

Assign the line Action 271 for a standard sky.

There's a flipped sky action (272) that can also be used. That one will display the texture as a sky but rotated 45? degrees.

Oh lovely, that seems to have worked.

But it's too bad that I can't see the sky itself while in UDB  and only see it when I'm in the game.

sky.jpg

It would be very helpful to my creative energy if the sky where also visible in udb instead of the placeholder. 

I think UMAPINFO should work on UDB now, so if you use SLADE to add UMAPINFO text with code

MAP MAP01
{
	skytexture = "<insert texture name here>"
}

It should work. Sky transfer never worked in visual mode AFAIK. Unfortunately, I won't be able today to properly check the state of resource pack, but I'll be back tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, SpaceCat_2001 said:

More progress has been made

Looks good. Is this an office?

I think I might need to do something with this pale blue though. I didn't realize it would fade to grey so quickly.

1 minute ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Looks good. Is this an office?

I think I might need to do something with this pale blue though. I didn't realize it would fade to grey so quickly.

Not an office, but a labaratory, or well, public part of it, its the insides of the building from previous screenshot

Update for Defiled Dreamscape (Considering it looks like an Episode 1 SoD map, I decided to just lean into it.) This will prob be the last update until it's done. At this point, it's almost finished. All that's left RN is the Red Key room, some more enemy/thing placement, and one smaller fight. Sadly I'm probably not gonna hit my end-of-January goalpost. Working on this alongside DWDS and starting my NOVA 4 submission genuinely almost burned me out, so I had to take a break for a week and slow my pace a bit.

But yeah very much on its way to the finish line. I really pushed myself on this one, and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. Hoping i'll have it done by early to mid-February,

NGL I'll prob scale back my 2nd submission, mostly for my sanity.

Spoiler

KrjE4E5.png

HW9nkHX.png

h7HvUGe.png

vnC5RMn.png

Ib7JbNp.png

KAE4blw.png

fbQUMfY.png

Jk724ZE.png

5UhYgKa.png

AqefsKk.png

aVH2zHx.png

On 1/23/2024 at 8:02 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

I think UMAPINFO should work on UDB now, so if you use SLADE to add UMAPINFO text with code

MAP MAP01
{
	skytexture = "<insert texture name here>"
}

It should work. Sky transfer never worked in visual mode AFAIK. Unfortunately, I won't be able today to properly check the state of resource pack, but I'll be back tomorrow.

Fantastic, thank you! Will be sharing my progress here.

I have replaced the resource pack with the new version that shows includes @SpaceCat_2001 sky edits. In addition, I have manually edited the colormap to make teal color fade into darker blue and not grey, which was really off-putting. My SLADE is acting weird with textures, but it should work.

@Nootsy-Nootsy you complained some time ago about missing green 2 textures, but as far as I see, they are there. Did I misunderstand you?

I might make another map for this....if the deadline is in May I should be able too.  I keep seeing cool things posted here and I get inspired lol

5 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I have replaced the resource pack with the new version that shows includes @SpaceCat_2001 sky edits. In addition, I have manually edited the colormap to make teal color fade into darker blue and not grey, which was really off-putting. My SLADE is acting weird with textures, but it should work.

@Nootsy-Nootsy you complained some time ago about missing green 2 textures, but as far as I see, they are there. Did I misunderstand you?

I've noticed a few posts referencing the way the colors of the textures are displayed in UDB, should I be selecting the iwad or the resource pack (/ which one) first?

29 minutes ago, DeetOpianSky said:

I've noticed a few posts referencing the way the colors of the textures are displayed in UDB, should I be selecting the iwad or the resource pack (/ which one) first?

You should load IWAD, then both the wads in the archive (I keep sprite pack separate for now for ease of management, they shouldn't have any overlaps)

started work on a map for this called "paint theft is a serious crime". :)

Spoiler

1288697218_Screenshot2024-01-28225104.png.a9f63107ecaa993d575bb32ad4ab9217.png

Just thought, maybe I can do a map for this project, it's difficult to go crazy about geometry and make Drake O'Brien map size x2, also I kinda like this Atari 2600 aesthetic.

(gzdoom only for screenshots)

(it's very early on in development, only a couple of hours of work)

OzfO4zn.png

Edited by Vanilla+Unicorn

On 1/29/2024 at 12:06 AM, DeetOpianSky said:

Updated The Icon of Shin . 

I made it to the room with the foot but don't know what to do there - is this where the map ends for now? The ledge in the plasma gun pit is still very bouncy, though I made it out this time. The space behind yellow key is too narrow to pass through which is weird.