Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
randomsounds01

Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

1 minute ago, tewgytaylor said:

For sure. Chances are they'll fix things in the coming updates though

Of course, it's a very big project in scope, lots of tiny details to look into. Must be really hard to get everything together just right, align textures, etc.

7 minutes ago, Cutman 999 said:

slot 19: metalbox.zip

Since i don't see the tag limit rule anymore, i just made a simple light sequence with 5 tags, and 2 others for teleport things, having 7 tags in total.

was going to ask if the tag limit still applied since it was removed. I hope so as that's a very constricting rule

4 minutes ago, Djoga said:

The post says you have slot 73.

my bad, i didn't bother to check. i thought he was going to reply. sorry :(

Some things I noticed and need to be fixed:

1) Currently, the doors that connect each box need to be fixed in two ways: A) make them the generalized linedef action 15631 (no tag required), so they cannot be opened by monsters. Right now they use just a simple "1: DR Open Door" so monsters can open them and go from one box to another before the player even still finished in the current box. And B) Make the doors' linedefs "Sound Blocking", otherwise the fighting in one of the boxes will wake up monsters in the next box/es.

2) Sector alignment needs to be properly checked for each individual box not just whole-map checking. I didn't see all the maps, but some of them might have different grid alignment than others, so this should be paid attention to:

Spoiler

1.jpg.fa4f80305cb25130d68ec8b6fbde64db.jpg

3) I found this thing:

Spoiler

2.jpg.d2d282a55602add69d64da1478df881a.jpg

Also if you check the map for errors (I suggest Eureka), you will find lots of issues that might not be map-design stuff. Just be aware that some Boom related design tricks look like map errors but they are not!

Hopefully these issues above are addressed at some point.

Currently it is too late for this, but for next editions the connections between boxes could be improved. Boxes of different dimensions and with entrace/exit doors of different width cannot be properly connected by just a simple door without having to modify one of the boxes and making them look different than what the author intended. A connection in a door-corridor-door fashion might work and look better and potentially allow an easier connection.

5 minutes ago, macro said:

Some things I noticed and need to be fixed:

1) Currently, the doors that connect each box need to be fixed in two ways: A) make them the generalized linedef action 15631 (no tag required), so they cannot be opened by monsters. Right now they use just a simple "1: DR Open Door" so monsters can open them and go from one box to another before the player even still finished in the current box. And B) Make the doors' linedefs "Sound Blocking", otherwise the fighting in one of the boxes will wake up monsters in the next box/es.

2) Sector alignment needs to be properly checked for each individual box not just whole-map checking. I didn't see all the maps, but some of them might have different grid alignment than others, so this should be paid attention to:

Reveal hidden contents

1.jpg.fa4f80305cb25130d68ec8b6fbde64db.jpg

3) I found this thing:

Reveal hidden contents

2.jpg.d2d282a55602add69d64da1478df881a.jpg

Also if you check the map for errors (I suggest Eureka), you will find lots of issues that might not be map-design stuff. Just be aware that some Boom related design tricks look like map errors but they are not!

Hopefully these issues above are addressed at some point.

Currently it is too late for this, but for next editions the connections between boxes could be improved. Boxes of different dimensions and with entrace/exit doors of different width cannot be properly connected by just a simple door without having to modify one of the boxes and making them look different than what the author intended. A connection in a door-corridor-door fashion might work and look better and potentially allow an easier connection.

The original layout was good, but I think he didn't take the bigger boxes dimesnions and how they's change stuff around. How about trying to make a new 512 by 512 grid, and then just pasting the rooms in a centralized way? Something like this would be the result. 

Screenshot_4.png.9f0e1d277a38bfd69d20474cfee5c903.png
Screenshot_8.png.4e7b2f5d6780aee62835b2f21197c58f.png

25 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

The original layout was good, but I think he didn't take the bigger boxes dimesnions and how they's change stuff around. How about trying to make a new 512 by 512 grid, and then just pasting the rooms in a centralized way? Something like this would be the result. 

The original layout is good, but not the connection between boxes.

At first sight your idea might look good, but you are not considering a situation like this:

Spoiler

Untitled.jpg.aab3c1b1b4355dfce0f606b65e53570b.jpg

Note how in room #1 the outmost corners are NOT aligned to the 64 grid so the light textures can be shown like that.

In room #2, such texture alignment is not possible if you want that same room structure and dimensions. But still, it is valid of course and it has different purpose.

The point is, for rooms with different grid alignment like in the example above how would you connect both rooms with one simple door without looking sloppy and without modifying the map structure?

18 minutes ago, macro said:

The original layout is good, but not the connection between boxes.

At first sight your idea might look good, but you are not considering a situation like this:

Hide contents

Untitled.jpg.aab3c1b1b4355dfce0f606b65e53570b.jpg

Note how in room #1 the outmost corners are NOT aligned to the 64 grid so the light textures can be shown like that.

In room #2, such texture alignment is not possible if you want that same room structure and dimensions. But still, it is valid of course and it has different purpose.

The point is, for rooms with different grid alignment like in the example above how would you connect both rooms with one simple door without looking sloppy and without modifying the map structure?

If there are not many misaligned textures, I think I would make some new flats with different offsets. I've seen this be used as a strategy for counteracting the alignment issues in some megawads. 

Edit: Like this, for instance.

Base:

ZFLR_049.png.43e3756e80dccbe4302264b5d87d76da.png

Alt: 

ZFLR_049a.png.e6d7d03fa3adfbe4d72f8ca34595fff9.pngZFLR_049b.png.a7958dbd4ff6c85603e2d93749b8e3a9.pngZFLR_049c.png.8137487dfef15cada5694d7cb15fffc3.png

Edited by jo2ukegappy

3 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

If there are not many misaligned textures, I think I would make some new flats with different offsets. I've seen this be used as a strategy for counteracting the alignment issues in some megawads. 

That is totally correct and a great solution but someone needs to keep track of that, be in charge of modifying custom textures and check and apply the corresponding textures to all the needed sectors.

Box authors might not be aware or care that their maps won't naturally fit into the general grid alignment of the other rooms so I wouldn't count on them creating custom textures.

1 minute ago, macro said:

That is totally correct and a great solution but someone needs to keep track of that, be in charge of modifying custom textures and check and apply the corresponding textures to all the needed sectors.

Box authors might not be aware or care that their maps won't naturally fit into the general grid alignment of the other rooms so I wouldn't count on them creating custom textures.

Yes, probably not, but it would be something I'd be glad to help with if it's not an excessive amount of work. This is the first time I ever participate on these kinds of projects so I'm pretty excited about it. Still, I think I'd use that solution only as a last resort. I have no idea the amount of work that goes behind building a Community project from the ground up, specially one like this where instead of each one contributing a map, each person contributes a room instead. 

@macro @jo2ukegappy @Djoga On flats missalignment and current alpha build flaws in general: I think we should wait until we get more maps in before we do adjustments. sure, stuff like mistagging and the messed-up Box-23 should be taken care of as soon as possible, as those will get worse the longer they're kept that way. but if we fix flats before we get in new maps, who knows if a new big-map will make randomsounds have to move around the rooms again and repeat the same problem they just fixed

And @randomsounds01: I'm willing to help with map assembly and bug fixes, if you need it

1 hour ago, No-Man Baugh said:

@macro @jo2ukegappy @Djoga On flats missalignment and current alpha build flaws in general: I think we should wait until we get more maps in before we do adjustments. sure, stuff like mistagging and the messed-up Box-23 should be taken care of as soon as possible, as those will get worse the longer they're kept that way. but if we fix flats before we get in new maps, who knows if a new big-map will make randomsounds have to move around the rooms again and repeat the same problem they just fixed

And @randomsounds01: I'm willing to help with map assembly and bug fixes, if you need it

I am not in a hurry tho. And yeah I'd help too, especially with doors and that voodoo doll bug.

Yeah I think I'll take a final submission if that's cool. Put me down for Box 57, please.

Edited by stochastic

@randomsounds01 Finally, here are all my rooms in their beautiful glory. Everyone please let me know what you think and if you find any issues. These rooms are the most updated versions. Please feel free to use their screenshots in your promotional material too. After I receive feedback, I will update them and post them later, thank you.

Download:

Spoiler

Room 33:

Spoiler

Room: 33

Title: Tik-Tak-Tek

Author: BlindChaos

Dimensions: 256x256

Tags Used: None

Enemies: 3

Difficulties: Fully Implemented

Textures: OTEX/Stock

Description: Welcome to room 33 with plenty of space to spare. Inspired by classic tech maps like Total Control by Dutch Devil and Waterlab by Enjay. Maybe someday this room can inspire a full-sized map.

Notes: Here are my most updated rooms. Please replace them with this version, thanks. I noticed that you haven't updated them in your last build.

Tik-Tak-Tek-1.png.4ee781ea6ff66de64cf5929bd1ddfba7.png

Room 34:

Spoiler

Room: 34

Title: Tik-Tak-Tek

Author BlindChaos

Dimensions: 256x256

Tags Used: None

Enemies: 5

Description: Welcome to room 34 with plenty of space to share. Read more about this in room 33’s description above. I liked the theme so much that it inspired the creation of this room.

Notes: Please note that the soul sphere is part of the visual aesthetic. I hope that you can balance the rest of the map around its placement here.

Tik-Tak-Tek-2.png.cd70f33dd8f43e80f6bedbfc0bf01ab6.png

Room 69:

Spoiler

Room: 69

Title: Flesh & Blood

Tags Used: 691-698

Dimensions: 512x512

Enemies: 10

Description: Welcome to room 69 with all its glorious mess. This map is inspired by my Flesh & Bones map from 10 Line Genocide. I wanted to make an organic hell themed map and this was the end result.

Notes: I am still working on the final detailing and room progression. The bars that represent the doors are supposed to open when approaching them before entering the room. They are then supposed to lock you in afterwards.

FleshBlood.png.4a448b6c7983e58aad5ecb00c4edab16.png

Room XX:

Spoiler

Room: XX

Title: Blox Chaos

Tags Used: 331-337

Dimensions: 512x512

Enemies: 10

Difficulties: Partial

Description: Welcome to room XX with all the chaos that it contains. While my other rooms are more serious and are grounded in Doom’s realism this room is based upon abstract ideals. The name comes from combining Blind with Box and it contains a chaos star from Heretic, Hexen and my avatar image.

Notes: This room is built as a backup. Just in case you need an extra room when this project gets closer to its deadline. Because of how this room is designed it can go anywhere a 512 sized room can go. I’ve included the door designs, prebuilt and unattached to make this room easier to place anywhere in the final layout. The doors need generalized action 15377 and tagged to work. This allows the doors to open when approaching them. Spoiler: Because this room isn't serious the player can tip toe around and essentially skip past it. This is intentional. To fight all the monsters simply pass through the flags to teleport them in.

BloxChaos.png.f9ca6334ac0ebd9b0b561818d427a20a.png

Here are my two submissions (in one wad file) ready for playtesting. I added some extra enemies, tags, and detailing between this version and the last. Gonna get started on my third submission later tonight.

Boxes71and72.zip

Spoiler

Box 71 - "The Blue Room"

I've always loved the ice/blue rock textures in Alien Vendetta Map27 so I wanted to design a vignette around them. From pistol start, the fight in this room is pretty ruthless, with aggressive play being the dominant strategy - of course, health/ammo can be adjusted in the future for continuous play.

Screenshot_Doom_20230912_185435.png.3d42cf781cf2279268f640efb2852f6e.png

Box 72 - "The Red Room"

Inspired by my map, "The Black Lodge" (which will be featured in the 2023 Doomworld Maximum Project), itself inspired by the ominous, surreal horror of the Red Room/Black Lodge from the show "Twin Peaks"... hence the random Doomcute and chevron-patterned floor. Also, hope you like whack-a-mole!

Screenshot_Doom_20230912_185551.png.b77ab0385cb2b46356cc7e1854e913de.png

Edited by stochastic

On 9/11/2023 at 6:10 PM, Halfblind said:

@randomsounds01 Finally, here are all my rooms in their beautiful glory. Everyone please let me know what you think and if you find any issues. These rooms are the most updated versions. Please feel free to use their screenshots in your promotional material too. After I receive feedback, I will update them and post them later, thank you.

Great stuff, BlindChaos! Really good detailing and lighting throughout. 33 and 34 flowed well into each other; I'm glad you extended that theme for more than one room. I think my favorite was 69 for the gruesomeness, atmosphere, and the Caco usage - you really made them quite a threat. 

The only issue I noticed is in 69: sometimes the Archvile gets stuck in his blood column. Seemed to happen randomly. Aside from that, I imagine there may need to be some ammo adjustments down the line as the rest of the rooms are integrated, but that'll probably be the case with most boxes.

Nice job!

How are you doing guys?

I'm submitting a candidate for room 57. It's called "Return to Cell 666".

It's the first time I'm participating in a community project, so let me know if I did something wrong.

It's also been almost 28 years since I made a map for DOOM 2, so I had to re-learn the craft.

Edit: I think 57 was already claimed by @stochastic. In that case, mine can go to slot 60. 

CELL666.zip

Edited by Slaughter : Updated the WAD. Minor changes.

7 minutes ago, Slaughter said:

How are you doing guys?

I'm submitting a candidate for room 57. It's called "Return to Cell 666".

It's the first time I'm participating in a community project, so let me know if I did something wrong.

It's also been almost 28 years since I made a map for DOOM 2, so I had to re-learn the craft.

CELL666.zip

That's really cool. I'll have to check it out. Are you perchance a compatriot of mine? 

4 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

That's really cool. I'll have to check it out. Are you perchance a compatriot of mine? 

Hi!

If you are brazillian then we indeed are!

cheers!

9 minutes ago, Slaughter said:

Hi!

If you are brazillian then we indeed are!

cheers!

Yes, I am. Nice to meet you, friend!

On 9/10/2023 at 8:53 PM, Djoga said:

Alright I put my rooms in one wad. Djoga 13-38.zip

For your convenience I changed their tags so room 13's tags are 131-134 and room 38's are 381-384. I also made their layouts to be copypasted before the rooms themselves.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.a224aa737ea113e93a59459f18fccd1e.png

In order not to break unconnected sectors (85, 217 etc.), you first need to copypaste the layout and then drag the corresponding room inside it with "Merge Dragged Vertices Only" enabled in "Edit".

@randomsounds01 I checked the new alpha and noticed you put the old versions of rooms 13 and 38.

That archive has new ones in it.

Edited by Djoga