Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsda-dev

dsda-doom v0.27.5 [2023-12-03]

Thanks as always for your hard work!

On 10/27/2023 at 11:22 PM, dsda-dev said:

By the way, if you are an opl enjoyer, let me know. I am fine with adding it back in, but so far I have only ever gotten complaints about it, so I removed it.

I'd also like it if opl could be put back in, please. 

On 10/27/2023 at 1:56 PM, dsda-dev said:
  • Added colormap streamlining
    • Colormap as a sector property (you can set it directly like you would set the floor or ceiling texture)
    • Map_SetColormap special action (change default colormap, still overridden by sector-defined colormaps)
    • Sector_SetColormap special action (change colormap by sector tag)

Quick question about colormaps:

How do they work if attached to a single sector? Will it be like Boom that applies them to the entire scene when the player is in a sector or like Eternity where it only affects the sector the player is in?

37 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Quick question about colormaps:

How do they work if attached to a single sector? Will it be like Boom that applies them to the entire scene when the player is in a sector or like Eternity where it only affects the sector the player is in?

I did a quick test, and it looks like it's using Boom behavior where it applies to the entire scene while the player is in the sector with the colormap defined rather than just applying to the sector itself.

Thanks for the info. I needed this to decide how to implement this feature in GZDoom. While on one hand this makes it easier for me it surely is the more limited option of the feature..

I seem to be getting a Signal 11 (0x0001) crash everytime I try to change the renderer to OpenGL.

24 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Thanks for the info. I needed this to decide how to implement this feature in GZDoom. While on one hand this makes it easier for me it surely is the more limited option of the feature..

Nice, having colormaps support on gzdoom will make some mappers really happy. 

A question: how difficult would be implementing the Eternity way for applying colormaps? 

Still having a boom-like implementation will be a great feature 👍

Currently the colormaps in GZDoom only apply the color component, but not fading, desaturation or color swapping. So to make it more feature complete a bit more work is needed. Fortunately I already did a lot of the groundwork for this when implementing custom blends in Raze, but it probably won't work without providing some added data about the colormaps in the mod. I can extract colorization and fading but the rest will be more tricky. I'm not sure how important all of this is, so far I have only seen a handful of colormaps in released mods that did a bit more than just adding a color blend to the scene.

Eternity's colormaps are more like setting a sector color in the map. That feature already exists in GZDoom, but I cannot say how easy it would be for DSDA.

I looked at sector color properties when implementing udmf and decided to leave them alone for this release. I might add them at some point in the future.

Is it possible for ENDOOM screen to last until any key is pressed like it used to do before it got broken instead of a couple seconds like it does now? Would it also be possible to restore the original behavior where ENDOOM was printed separately and was fullscreen?

On 10/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, dsda-dev said:

By the way, if you are an opl enjoyer, let me know. I am fine with adding it back in, but so far I have only ever gotten complaints about it, so I removed it.

If someone complains about opl2, they can choose not to use it. Why remove it?

On 10/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, dsda-dev said:

Hi there!

I'm one of the OPL enjoyers, I played with OPL for years in Crispy Doom and it was fabulous, yep, it was a primitive technology, but it really captured that 1990s feeling which you can't even fully describe and it had a charm!

So I wish it would return in the future, although in Nuked OPL or in DMXOPL format, they're the most authentic ones, as far as I know.

I noticed a critical bug (crash, signal 11 (0x0013)) when I tried to pick up an invulnerability sphere in OpenGL, it's all cool in Software.

upd:

somehow it only crashes in nuts.wad, but in doom2 level 8 it didn't happen

Edited by Vanilla+Unicorn

First of all, thanks to all the team for your hard work on this port!

I downloaded the win32 version posted by Ramon_Demestre and it runs great on my hardware, but it crashes with signal 11 when exiting the game and it does not save my settings (like resolution, key bindings, etc).

Any help on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I'm attaching an image with the messages I get when launching the port in case they are useful to find a solution, but I think those are related to sound and sound is perfect when playing. I,m on Windows 7 starter. Thanks!

DSDA-Doom Console thingy.png

1 hour ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

somehow it only crashes in nuts.wad

I'm able to reproduce this. I will fix it for the next patch.

8 hours ago, DGrey said:

Is it possible for ENDOOM screen to last until any key is pressed like it used to do before it got broken instead of a couple seconds like it does now? Would it also be possible to restore the original behavior where ENDOOM was printed separately and was fullscreen?

It's not a full solution, but you can just quickly press "Pause Break" button in the console, it may take a few tries, but still, for me it works.

Though it's kinda radical but you can also simply look at ENDOOM screen in editors like Slade.

Edited by Vanilla+Unicorn

On 10/28/2023 at 12:21 AM, George90 said:

Congrats on the new release!

Although, I've already noticed there is something really weird going on with OpenGL.

Whenever I switch to it the screen turns completely white and when I load a map it looks like this, also the colours goes all crazy:

Screenshot 2023-10-27 231752.png

This is also with a fresh config file btw. I just loaded up doom2.wad, that's all.

I'm glad that it didn't happened to me, cause it would scare the hell out of me!

So I just made a test map with a MAPINFO with AllowJump and Passover, and apparently, melee attacks still hit even when the player is far up above the enemy despite being able to jump over it. Is there a way to disable this quirk?

Also, how do I make an enemy spawn on top of a walkable middle texture? Changing their Z position to be on top of it doesn't work.

Updated to v0.27.1 (same link in first post)

- Restored opl player
- Upgraded to opl3 emulation (rfomin)
  - You can switch back to opl2 with config option mus_opl_opl3mode
- Fixed crash related to opengl colormap management
  - Unfortunately, this reverted the fix for boom colormap + invuln in opengl

24 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

So I just made a test map with a MAPINFO with AllowJump and Passover, and apparently, melee attacks still hit even when the player is far up above the enemy despite being able to jump over it. Is there a way to disable this quirk?

Also, how do I make an enemy spawn on top of a walkable middle texture? Changing their Z position to be on top of it doesn't work.

Huh, the player also falls through the walkable midtex if you spawn in midair. I'll have to take a look at that. I'll take a look at melee stuff too.

2 minutes ago, dsda-dev said:

Huh, the player also falls through the walkable midtex if you spawn in midair. I'll have to take a look at that. I'll take a look at melee stuff too.

Cool.

Also is support for enabling manual vertical aiming through MAPINFO planned too?

10 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

Also is support for enabling manual vertical aiming through MAPINFO planned too?

I need to completely overhaul a lot of things. That's going to be the big iteration for 0.28 if it goes well. The current vertical aiming in the port isn't sufficient on its own.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, dsda-dev said:

Another one in the list, me. Even though I was never into dsda/prboom's OPL2 as much as OPL3 in crispy in its most pure self, when using viddump the only two soundfonts you could choose where opl or fluidsynth, afaik, and between those I less preferred the latter by far. I would support adding opl back in, if that doesn't present too many new issues along the way. 

something interesting happened today, these are the steps to reproduce it:

- choose the opengl rendering

- set the automap to textured overlay mode

- launch a game

- open the automap

- now press esc to bring up the option menu and navigate to any 2nd level submenu

Spoiler

the menu background is translucent

this does not happen when bringing up the menu while the overlay automap is not active 

dsda-translucent-menu-background.png.0795f42a0e22b34f01e30047f448e177.png

could this be made into an actual feature?

pretty please ;)

Updated to v0.27.2 (same link in first post)

- Added dsdademo header if using mapinfo in legacy formats (important for future compatibility if anyone ends up doing this)
- Fixed -dsdademo desync

14 minutes ago, liPillON said:

could this be made into an actual feature?

I'm probably going to do my massive menu overhaul for 0.28, so this kind of feature will be something I look into.

Internet connection is normal, but I can't seem to download this version of DSDA-Doom. The pop-up for downloading takes forever and ultimately does nothing when I click the confirmation. Is there an alternative to Google Drive I can download it from?

EDIT: Nvm, it finally worked.

48 minutes ago, Dweller said:

Is there an alternative to Google Drive I can download it from?

It always takes like 5 mins to get it to finally download, it's a pain. Why not upload it on GitHub?

Also the .exe's right click > Properties > Details is empty, not sure it's going to be an issue with Win? False positives?

And finally, why is this thread in Speed Demos and not in Source Ports?