Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LagZero

Map ideas

Hi everyone. I am looking for ideas for my next doom map, if you could give me some that would be nice.

Have a great Christmas and a great New year everyone.

Honestly what i do is this:

Go to Idgames, play a bunch of random doom wads, write down ideas, open map editor and start making a map form ideas.

Quick, easy, simple.

16 hours ago, LagZero said:

Hi everyone. I am looking for ideas for my next doom map, if you could give me some that would be nice.

Have a great Christmas and a great New year everyone.

This very thing was asked in a thread back in 2014. You could consult it for ideas.

In addition to the map theme generator already mentioned, jmickle also wrote a random texture selector. Perhaps you could combine the two for some ideas.

Alternately, look at maps that you have enjoyed playing and try to get ideas from them. Figure out what you enjoy in maps, and then make encounters like that. If you make what you like, then 1) you'll have infinitely more fun making it and 2) you'll be more likely to finish making it.

Of course, maybe you're just looking for rough ideas. Here's a few:

• Ruined castle with techbase elements in the middle of a lake of slime.

• At one point in a map, you enter the room with a locked door. The room has monsters in it, so there is a fight. This room also leads to the key you need, which you saw earlier on your way to the locked door room. You go and get the key, which is in the middle of a large, open space. Once you get the key, nothing happens (subverting the expectation of players expecting an ambush due to the large space around the key). Or, have a monster closet with a few zombieman open when you get the key. However, upon returning to the blue key room, swarms of monsters teleport into the room that was previously cleared.

• Everyone has seen the techbase with a secret hell area beneath it (think Doomsday of UAC). So flip the script. Make a hellish fortress (blood fountains, lakes of fire, impaled and hanging bodies everywhere, evil eyes watching you, flesh and bone, snake floors, etc.), but have a secret techbase control center below it.

And have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year yourself!

8 minutes ago, SupremeBioVizier said:

I'm making a whore house

IIRC Duke Nukem 3D had a somewhat-official level released for it in the 90s called Duke's Penthouse Paradise. Penthouse was like a magazine where you could look at pictures of naked ladies. Therefore, the level itself also contained such NSFW pictures. Given that this was actually released by the company behind the magazine, this counted as being officially released.

Doom had Chex Quest, and the more obscure Kick Attack. But imagine a timeline where the game also received this kind of treatment...

4 minutes ago, Jakub Majewski said:

IIRC Duke Nukem 3D had a somewhat-official level released for it in the 90s called Duke's Penthouse Paradise. Penthouse was like a magazine where you could look at pictures of naked ladies. Therefore, the level itself also contained such NSFW pictures. Given that this was actually released by the company behind the magazine, this counted as being officially released.

Doom had Chex Quest, and the more obscure Kick Attack. But imagine a timeline where the game also received this kind of treatment...

Okay...what if...Chex Quest but with naked ladies...

The Wads in progress idea generator always had me laughing as it made no sense.

Build a huge hellish spaceship map.
The player has to destroy some lost UAC machine.
kill two Cyberdemons.
kill three Zombiemen and,
destroy two big computer.

EXCUSE ME FOR A MOMENT ... now let's get real!

I have created a few hundred maps myself and to be honest just go with the flow and experiment, look at other maps in the editor, research the maps to see how things work, play maps. The more you get the hang of the editor, it's features it will be like automatic to you. It takes patience, we all need to learn. But if you get the hang of it you'll be in heaven, not hell and once you master mapping you'll be ripping and tearing through the sectors. Draw layouts (or parts of layouts) on paper, use your imagination, the sky is the limit. When I first started mapping in DoomCAD 5.1, I read the tutorial and also studied how other maps worked and within less than a year I was creating id quality maps (architectural wise, not gameplay or layout wise).

Make an episode about UAC.

But with a new twist... this UAC.

uac-logo-favicon.svg

Map names could include "Animal Feeds", "Edibles", "Packaged Food & Beverages", "Long Shelf-Life Sausage Roll Segment", etc.

Posted (edited)

prison idea with portals for a police map or cops and robbers RP   rename file to .wad      

its gzdoom newest version 

SSG.zip

@LagZero Some ideas to bounce around:

1. Evil Hospital

2. Abandoned / Broke Down Mall (at least 2 to 3 floors)

3. Haunted House

4. Skyrim but in DooM

5. Fallout but in DooM

perhaps you could just join any community project (cp) in doomworld when empty slots are available. the cp would provide the base idea for you to expand. good luck! :)