Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anti-Mousetrap

Is this real?

1 hour ago, No-Man Baugh said:

I'm honestly curious if this is even possible to replicate in vanilla

It's completely impossible to replicate in vanilla. It would require scripting of some kind.

I think you'll find that, either intentionally or otherwise, that all of these replies are missing a vital detail, that this easter egg was released only on one specific version of Doom released for a week in February 1994 on accident, and is, in fact, quite real. Below is an archived wad containing that version of E1M1, deep from the back alleys of the dark web. Simply do every instruction the video describes and return to the starting room, Download if you dare, and while you can before mods ban me for sharing this forgotten piece of history.

e1m1.zip

Spoilers for the easter egg:

Spoiler

I can't do this joke map on vanilla lol, use Complevel 9

15 minutes ago, NiGHTS108 said:

I think you'll find that, either intentionally or otherwise, that all of these replies are missing a vital detail, that this easter egg was released only on one specific version of Doom released for a week in February 1994 on accident, and is, in fact, quite real. Below is an archived wad containing that version of E1M1, deep from the back alleys of the dark web. Simply do every instruction the video describes and return to the starting room, Download if you dare, and while you can before mods ban me for sharing this forgotten piece of history.

e1m1.zip

Reveal hidden contents

Eh if I pressed the switch, nothing happened, nice easter egg.

2 hours ago, NiGHTS108 said:

e1m1.zip

Hide contents

Thanks so much for this. It means I don't need to do it. Although, I would've done it via UDMF...it's not 100% 'accurate' in Boom. But, also, I guess trying to make it exact is a lot more effort than it's worth...

5 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

I'm honestly curious if this is even possible to replicate in vanilla

Sure we got shootable switches but I don't know how you could make hitting all of them able to activate just 1 sector (maybe tag them to individual smaller door sectors and put them inside a bigger secret door to give it a janked out lock effect)
maybe you could even dehack the Mancubus or Aracnotrons into decorations, give them 1 health, make their death sprites identical to the living sprite, and slap them on them MAP07 slot to take advantage of the tag 666 action to replicate this

Be fun to see this referenced in an actual map sometime

you use a voodoo doll and make it move along and cross the linedef when all the steps arw completed

1 hour ago, fruity lerlups said:

you use a voodoo doll and make it move along and cross the linedef when all the steps arw completed

But there's no way to move the voodoo doll in vanilla, at least not easily. Maybe if you positioned it just right on the edges of some sectors to be lowered and let the physics move it on drop. But things being shot can't cause an event that would trigger a sector action (and decorations don't have pain states anyway except barrels). Only the linedefs behind them could do this. It's been a long-ass time since I did any vanilla only editing, but I seem to recall the actions capable on a gun shot being quite limited. Correct me if I am wrong; am no means claiming to be 100% right here.

24 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

But there's no way to move the voodoo doll in vanilla, at least not easily. Maybe if you positioned it just right on the edges of some sectors to be lowered and let the physics move it on drop. But things being shot can't cause an event that would trigger a sector action (and decorations don't have pain states anyway except barrels). Only the linedefs behind them could do this. It's been a long-ass time since I did any vanilla only editing, but I seem to recall the actions capable on a gun shot being quite limited. Correct me if I am wrong; am no means claiming to be 100% right here.

yeah true then this is all bs as we already realized XD

Guyz I found da realest secret with Da Ultimate DOom Complevel 3 on hard,. is totally possible on your regular old wad of DOOM.WAD you just have to have really percise movement (also the ammo and armor pickups are bs)

Here's a Demo I recorded proving it (it's in a wad so you'll have to load the wad and type -playdemo demo1 but that's just because I don't like typing out long paths on my doom launcher ;()

e1m1secretshhh.zip

Spoiler

shoutouts to NiGHTS for the Door tutorial because I legit forgot how to build doors while making the proof of concept map for this, and shouts to Erik Alm for Map 14 of Scythe which inspired the method for quasi-replicating this in vanilla

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

All you need to move voodoo dolls in vanilla is some barrels and crushers, or a custom dehacked entity who shoots and\or explodes infinitely (which is more reliable than crushers). For objects doing specific actions after getting shot, you can give one health to them and use keendie to push a voodoo doll behind a door - which ofc can pass any line action you want. If you need to activate more than one keendie you can kill and ressurect the shootable objects with dummy entities using vilechase. That's a bit more complicated but still doable I guess.

Btw, you can do all sorts of scriptings in vanilla if you learn some tricks - like the former voodoo doll manipulation, the use of movable floors or multiple doors (which can be activated by entities out of bounds), or even linguortals that fully replicates conveyor belts from boom.

Edited by Noiser

On 12/18/2023 at 8:19 PM, Aaron Blain said:

I was firmly a MK kid, but I happened to have this issue of EGM and I remember staring in awe at this page:

shenglongegmscan.jpg

There's a few tells with this: Note the trick was submitted by "W. A. Stokins" (that is, "Waste Tokens") from "Fuldigen, HA" (that is, "Fooled Again, Ha.") But yes, this is literally the joke that created Akuma.

Then they did it once again, as someone else said, but this time, for Street Fighter III - fittingly enough, alongside a picture of Akuma.

pTKZrRP.png

They were SLIGHTLY more subtle this time - but if you read the first letter of every sentence in the first two paragraphs, it's spelled out clear as day.

And that, kids, is how we finally got Sheng Long years later.