Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

Deciding on what RPG or immersive sim to play (Poll)

Help me choose an RPG or immersive sim to play  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which RPG or immersive sim should I try to play?

• Fallout 1
    • Arcanum
    • Shadowrun Dragonfall
    • Deus Ex
    • System Shock 2

I recently got done playing most of the Half-Life series (everything but Black Mesa and HL: Alyx) and I want to start playing one of the isometric RPGs I have installed or an immersive sim, but I'm having trouble choosing. I understand some of how Fallout 1 works, but I'm afraid of painting myself in a corner because of my inexperience with it. Arcanum is an easy choice, but I often get stuck in the character creator because I don't know what race or magic/tech/neutral build to go for (I do understand what I need for those builds, though). Shadowrun Dragonfall is a little bit between, because I know the mechanics but I'm going in blind otherwise. Deus Ex, I'm relatively familiar with but I often feel like my resources are stretched thin close to halfway through. And I have the same dilemma with System Shock 2 that I have with Fallout 1. 

So, I've decided to do a poll and at least attempt whichever game y'all decide. 

I would say Shadowrun Dragonfall, for the simple reason out of all those games, it is easily the most accessible game. You can't really go too wrong with your build, it's a fairly linear (but extremely good) storyline in a really cool setting (I love the setting so much I think I own every fucking novel released for it and I think there's over 70 of them now).

As for what I can say of the others, Arcanum is just too jank and dated for me, I just could never jive with it at all. And I'm also going to be a lone voice here and say I get why Deus Ex is a legend, but I didn't find my experience with it all that hot, it gives you choice of stealth, combat, character building and all that, but none of that is very fun at least to me in the context of playing it properly after Human Revolution. 

System Shock 2 on the other hand I think other than losing it a bit in the end is a phenomenal game but be prepared for a difficult one. Fallout 1 is also a game I like a lot, way more than 2 really, but it's combat and mechanics are a bit of a slog. But Fallout 1's length and precise pacing keeps it from wearing out its welcome and it has a vision to it that I think only New Vegas, not even 2, just New Vegas actually follows. But Dragonfall first I think because it's one of the most underrated CRPGs ever made in my opinion. 

This thread just made me remember that Monolith (the same one behind Blood, Shogo M.A.D., etc.) once published Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator, which could be described as "Fallout but anime-styled".

Spoiler

System Shock 2 is one of my favourite games ever. Have you played the original System Shock (or the remake)? Fallout 1 and Deus Ex are also very good. Not played the other two.

Also, I don't think you can't really paint yourself into a corner in SS2.

4 hours ago, BeachThunder said:

System Shock 2 is one of my favourite games ever. Have you played the original System Shock (or the remake)?

I've played System Shock Enhanced Edition to completion last year, but not the remake. I have tried to play SS2 before, though.

So it seems that Fallout 1 is the top choice, which is what I'm going to start with and plan to finish. I have some knowledge about how to play Fallout 1, but any advice is helpful. Advice on System Shock 2 is also welcome, since I'm considering that or Deus Ex if I get Fallout 1 done. Thanks for your input, everyone!

1 hour ago, Dweller Dark said:

So it seems that Fallout 1 is the top choice, which is what I'm going to start with and plan to finish. I have some knowledge about how to play Fallout 1, but any advice is helpful. Advice on System Shock 2 is also welcome, since I'm considering that or Deus Ex if I get Fallout 1 done. Thanks for your input, everyone!

To me, I would argue that Fallout 2 is better than the original

13 minutes ago, eanasir said:

To me, I would argue that Fallout 2 is better than the original

I know, but I want to do it in order. I do have it installed because I'm using the Et Tu mod, so I could easily start it after FO1.

Fallout 1 is the best game here, IMO.  System Shock 2 starts great, but then you hit the Rickenbacker and... yeah.