Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Logamuffin

How many Doom mods/wads are there total?

Hey all! I'm doing research for a video and I've been having trouble coming up with an answer to this question. I was researching it the other day and I did remember coming up with a list from wadarchive before that site shut down that had around 93k. However what I would like to know is:
1. How many files are currently hosted on the /idgames archive. I could not find this nunber.

2. Is there any way I could get a good total statistic of "How many Doom mods there are" considering how decentralized a lot of the doom scene is when it comes to uploading stuff?

I did see a few threads from years ago here pose this "How many wads question" too but none that gave helpful answers.

4 hours ago, Logamuffin said:

1. How many files are currently hosted on the /idgames archive. I could not find this nunber.

20.237 unique entries as of now - though a significant portion of that is demos.

there's no definitive answers because of things like

- as you said, decentralized hosting

- there can also be duplicated hosting (I host mirrors of some WADs on GDrive as well as idgames)

- WADs get uploaded to the internet basically every day, sometimes by people with audience and some with none.

just assume it's a lot I guess

Posted (edited)

There’s also probably a lot of lost WADs too from the 90s. These types of things would make it hard to truly know the answer, since it would either be you count them because they were known to exist, or you don’t count them because their data is no longer available and unable to confirm if they actually existed at all. 

I'll add some other easy to access numbers.

On MODDB-- Addons and Files listed separately from each other but are all still mods and maps or assets.

Doom 2= 3,728 files, and  1,592 Addons

DOOM 1= 1,478 files and  749 addons

Doom 3 = 855 files and 328 addons

44 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Posted 44 minutes ago at time of writing...

I'm sure their total number may exceed hundred of thousands, as we have various repositories, cloud storages and places to publish wads (idgames, moddb, etc. contains only a small part of all this). A huge number of them were lost for various reasons. Many wads are lying at mappers on hard disk and passed privately from hand to hand, but the public official release has not yet seen and many probably will not see. It really is a vast ocean where one can only guess.

Posted (edited)

Some estimates for /idgames according to ftp client directory size calculations:

/pub/idgames/levels/doom -> 5574 files -> 2680-ish wads

/pub/idgames/levels/doom2 -> 21249 files -> 10600-ish wads

Roughly half of the files are .txt's placed next to their respective zip archives.

On 5/11/2024 at 11:24 PM, Andromeda said:

20.237 unique entries as of now - though a significant portion of that is demos.

The ID range is not contiguous, deleted files leave gaps. Also, another portion are docs, prefabs, sources, utilities.

8 hours ago, Doomy__Doom said:

Roughly half of the files are .txt's placed next to their respective zip archives. 

$ find combos deathmatch graphics levels music skins sounds themes -type f -name '*.zip' | wc -l