Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

Ultimate Doom demos [-complevel 3]

E2M8 UV-Tank (Also Reality) in 1:26

e2m8tank-126.zip

Comment: Oh my god, definitely the hardest one from Episode 2, for UV-Tank. I was getting killed with no positive outcome. Then came up with a goal, that I will make it Reality. And that's it, finally achieved it after so many attempts! It was extremely hard to dodge all those rockets with this terrible speed plus there were Lost Souls which could ruin my run in seconds, especially in Reality run it was even harder. Not a good run I guess but I tried my best and probably won't put any more effort on this for now. It sure doesn't beat the record by Billa, which I think was 1:13 (I saw it somewhere on YouTube, surprisingly I couldn't find the demo on DSDA Archive lol!) but it definitely worth a place here!

I think there's a spot you can stand, where the cyberdemon can't hurt you, but you can hurt it. It's probably on the other side of the switches in the center. I know it's slow for normal UV or nightmare run, but it might be reasonably fast for tank.

6 hours ago, xit-vono said:

I think there's a spot you can stand, where the cyberdemon can't hurt you, but you can hurt it. It's probably on the other side of the switches in the center. I know it's slow for normal UV or nightmare run, but it might be reasonably fast for tank.

Yeah that's one good idea and honestly I also tried it but took damage sometimes in the process before taking position or even died. Maybe I was not good enough in managing a fight in that area.

Episode 2 UV-Tank in 42:34

e2tank-4234.zip

Video coming soon probably tomorrow, too tired to process and upload a video now. Gonna sleep!

Time:
E2M1 - 2:26
E2M2 - 5:51
E2M3 - 3:41
E2M4 - 7:32
E2M5 - 8:02
E2M6 - 7:30
E2M7 - 6:18
E2M8 - 1:14

TOTAL - 42:34

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjM6qFJqA-OdMkQdL3kS_OA

Comment: Finally, episode 2 is done! The times are good except E2M7 where I lost some seconds because I was stuck by that Demon groups guarding the Berserk pack. Overall, this is great improvement of my previous runs which finished in around 43/44/45 minutes. I was kinda nervous on E2M8 when I was down to 8% health, lol that was some situation :D

Edited by Yousuf Anik

23 hours ago, Yousuf Anik said:

Episode 2 UV-Tank in 42:34

e2tank-4234.zip

Video coming soon probably tomorrow, too tired to process and upload a video now. Gonna sleep!

Time:
E2M1 - 2:26
E2M2 - 5:51
E2M3 - 3:41
E2M4 - 7:32
E2M5 - 8:02
E2M6 - 7:30
E2M7 - 6:18
E2M8 - 1:14

TOTAL - 42:34

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjM6qFJqA-OdMkQdL3kS_OA

Comment: Finally, episode 2 is done! The times are good except E2M7 where I lost some seconds because I was stuck by that Demon groups guarding the Berserk pack. Overall, this is great improvement of my previous runs which finished in around 43/44/45 minutes. I was kinda nervous on E2M8 when I was down to 8% health, lol that was some situation :D

FYI, you need secret maps for Tank. I didn't realize you didn't do it in ep 1, so that demo is invalid and will have to be moved to Other.

3 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

FYI, you need secret maps for Tank. I didn't realize you didn't do it in ep 1, so that demo is invalid and will have to be moved to Other.

@4shockblast Honestly, I didn't know about that, I thought the run is valid without the secret map. If this is the case then I have to try upcoming episode 3 with secret map including. Not sure about re-doing episode 1 and 2 again at this point so I will think about that later. Thanks for informing btw :)

E4M8 UV Max in 1:43

e4m8-153.zip

This run was part of my "One Day Challenge", where I limit myself to a single livestream to study, route, practice, and run a single map. This was possibly the least frustrating IL of all E4, the survivability of this map wasn't that bad. The worst part is getting past the Baron guarding the red button which raises the bridge to the final area. You really need to press that button as fast as possible, or you're losing time, but the timing to do it right is extremely finicky and partly random because the Baron only wakes up in certain tics of its idle animation, which makes the whole thing quite frustrating. Thankfully that problem is not as bad for the Baron guarding the yellow key button because you need to wait for the bridge anyway. Even though my goal was getting a 1:52 (which eluded me despite the long stream), I feel that this 1:53 run is pretty good so no shame in submitting this.
Route is almost the same as Teedre's except for:
- I lower both the first cell pillar and the supercharge pillar at the same time, to save a bit of time. Possibly could have just skipped the first supercharge if my health was high enough at that point, but I really didn't want to squander my survivability so I ended up never skipping it.
- Shoot the first Hell Knight while moving backwards into the blue armor so when it dies you can just rotate 90º and keep firing into the lift room without needing to wait for the plasma's cooldown animation when you stop firing.
- Skip all radiation suits down in the lava pit and go straight for the lift on the other end. You should still have enough time to kill all the Pinkies and Spectres downstairs.
- Shoot an extra BFG shot in the last area while moving in between the right and left stairways.
- On top of the left stairway, hit the far wall and then strafe back to the right to avoid getting blocked by the first Lost Soul. I feel this should be doable very consistently even though I didn't practice the maneuver fast enough.
- Always fire any BFG/plasma you have left while making the final run to the exit to push any Lost Souls that might be on the way to block you and steal the 1:52 from you! :(
Possible improvements:
- I feel like there's something else you could do while waiting for the red key lift? Maybe shoot the Barons with plasma? Feels awkward because you'll need the ammo later for the BFG (yes, sometimes you do run out of ammo here). Maybe there's some strategy involving the rocket launcher that I'm not seeing here; either shooting rockets at the Barons while you wait, or rocket-jumping across to save even more time, even though that feels SUPER risky.

So cool! Never occurred to me to even think whether that could be done or not.

Nice run! Not wanting to discount anything, just an idea that might or might not work: How about quickly snatching that second invulnerability on the way to getting the key, and with its help there might be a way to rocket the rest of the enemies quicker with additional splash damage when being near a bunch of them, without any damage to yourself.

Oh, I used to do that, but I concluded that I didn't need it. The only place where that would save time would be before the red key or the three monsters by the last secret. It could be helpful on the 4 pinkies, but I think it would run out before then.