Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has Matrix/Max Payne-style Bullet Time ever been implemented in a WAD? It has to be switchable, so TurboCharged Arcade doesn't apply.

Would you like some kind of time gimmick where the player has such and such and can activate something to cause the monsters and projectiles to move slowly? Something like Doom 3's heart thing?

I don't know if Doom's monsters and objects have enough frames to give off a convincing slow-mo illusion.

The idea I had was to do a Max Payne-style implementation: Alt-Fire triggers the slow-mo effect (complete with custom sfx) that distorts sound by a few tones, bullet become tracers complete with trail lines behind them, and all speed except mouselook speed is cut in half. It would always be available, as long as your meter had juice in it.

Mr. Freeze said:

Has Matrix/Max Payne-style Bullet Time ever been implemented in a WAD? It has to be switchable, so TurboCharged Arcade doesn't apply.

Skulltag got Timefreeze as a powerup.

Wasn't there a joke wad with that in it. I remember a roof-top battle with a bullet time effect done quite nicely.

Ed said:

Wasn't there a joke wad with that in it. I remember a roof-top battle with a bullet time effect done quite nicely.

Mr. Freeze said:

... so TurboCharged Arcade doesn't apply.

I think it would be possible, with a bit of work. Every monster would need a duplicate of all it's states, just for slow motion mode. You'd need to tag all the monsters so you can give them an inventory item that tells them to skip to slow motion states. Depending on where you put the 'jumpto slowmotion', it could be choppy.

What good is bullet-time with hitscanners? Most of the projectiles are easy enough to dodge...

Use3D said:

What good is bullet-time with hitscanners? Most of the projectiles are easy enough to dodge...

Ever play Max Payne? The weapons might look like hitscanners, but they actually fire tiny bullet projectiles. You just can't see them unless you activate bullet-time mode. I was kinda envisioning the same thing here.

Mr. Freeze said:

Ever play Max Payne? The weapons might look like hitscanners, but they actually fire tiny bullet projectiles. You just can't see them unless you activate bullet-time mode. I was kinda envisioning the same thing here.

But doom doesn't have that. It has got hitscanners because it doesn't work to have projectiles move that fast in it.

You know, it would be cool to have a narrow hallway with a cyberdemon and having few second bursts of bullet time to jump over and duck under rockets.

In my head I'm seeing glitchy code that attempts to turn hitscanners into projectiles, and choppy, awkward enemy motion. I don't think it would be a very good idea in a 2.5d game.

kristus said:

But doom doesn't have that. It has got hitscanners because it doesn't work to have projectiles move that fast in it.

Not even a source port like Skulltag? Considering all the crazy shit that community comes up with, I'd be hard pressed to put it out of the realms of possibility.

IDEA! slow everything down really badly, and "Bullets" is still hitscanner but its basicly limited range over time, so if you walk into the current range line you get hit. the range line has also limited area, other vise you cant walk behind the "bullet" this could mean that you cant duck or jump over bullets, just avoid then by strafing

There was a weapons mod for skulltag that had bullet time, hitscans turned into Action Doom like slow moving projectiles. It also had experience points and a sort of spellcasting system. It was, of course, a hideous mess of a wad.

Khorus said:

There was a weapons mod for skulltag that had bullet time, hitscans turned into Action Doom like slow moving projectiles. It also had experience points and a sort of spellcasting system. It was, of course, a hideous mess of a wad.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to know which WAD that was?