Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's today's attempt (failed). I think it's just fine now, although I didn't get to the end. Noticed there's a new secret on the HUD, haven't found it yet.

Edit: looked at it in DB2 because I'm curious. Hmm. Unless I'm missing something, this secret is a one-time jump from sector 234 to sector 275, unless you choose to not press the switch and go back in case you missed. Might be a bit detrimental / frustrating to maxes. Maybe there could be another way, easier but more timeconsuming (I'm thinking slow moving lift), to get to it later, say from the big room on the left?

I noticed a DB2 visual mode camera in the latest version - I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe it can make the game crash in some ports.

Other than that, I like what you did... Possibly because it's exactly what I had in mind, hehe. :)

Phml said:

I noticed a DB2 visual mode camera in the latest version - I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe it can make the game crash in some ports.

What? :O I never ran into that problem. I've used prboom, prboom+ (also gl), gzdoom, zdoom, skulltag and chocolate. Dunno about odamex, zdaemon etc though.

I could be wrong. It's just something I thought I read a few times on here. I mostly stick to GZDoom and GLBoom+ and never experienced it myself.

Good to know, thanks.

While we're talking about port compatibility... I was thinking some maps are going to be too big to run in Boom anyway, so, how would everyone feel about using sky transfers (MBF)? As I understand it, it doesn't work in Boom, but does in PrBoom and above.

I've refrained from using skies in my maps as I didn't want them to end up looking bad in the final wad (if a different sky was picked). Another option could be to choose the skies for different episodes right now.

I also support sky transfer if everyone else does it. Since the maps are all very different from each other, sky transfer wouldn't screw up the whole impression of the wad IMO. But maybe it would get too crazy if everyone would pick their own sky texture.

I would like to know if the final wad will include a texture pack or something, since some of you have used gothic tex.

Aah... I didn't know it'd require an entirely different complevel. Not so big on the idea now that I know that, to be honest, as I read this post from Grazza mentioning some issues with complevel 11.

This is a "meh" rather than a "no", if most people want sky transfers, I'll roll with it.

Cool. Thanks again Memfis! Well, turning my coat once more, I'm all for sky transfers then. ;)

Well, Should I just make one giant megawad out of this? I may need a good ordering for the maps,tho. like from Easiest (map01-like) to hardest (or most epic).

I'll be including any endpics, interpics, or titlepics also if you guys have any to post.

I'd say we got quite enough for this.

alrighty then. Hopefully the stuff in progress does go on and get done. Don't want this to be another failed megawad...

If there's gonna likely be, say, 40 maps then we can release 20 now & 20 later, yo, word. I can make a shitty title pic where there's the letters "SL" + a picture of an otter or something. Then a picture of a feast, then minus the letter A = "fest" get it? get it?? Then on the bottom it will say "wanted: gggmork, for pixel terrorism. These copyrighted otter and feast pictures were stolen from google images without permission which legally makes the creator of this titlepic a terrorist pedophile." Nevermind, I don't want to make the title pic.

DoomHero85 said:

I'm back and ready to continue my ramblings about how awesome slaughter maps are.

Just going to poke my head in here and totally agree with this guy here. Not just for science, but for slaughter science.

FDA for trueviolence.

I may or may not had a small night (a Phml needs 7 to 8 hours of sleep for optimal dooming in the morning), but that room with the yellow key seemed brutal to me. Then again, looking at DB2 I guess I should have hidden in the monster closets revealed after picking up the key. Will give it another go later.

Other than that, I liked what I saw so far.

Thanks for the demo Phml. The last try you did was pretty much how I played this myself, you were just unlycky in the yellow key room.

First I tought that yellow key room should be a SSG and PR battle. But I hate PR so much that I couldn't stand playtesting it. The firing sound is so high compared to other weapons and I didn't want to give away any cells before the blue key room. I switched to RL and cleared the room in my first try (I had 4 ADDITIONAL barons in the closets that time). So I think it isn't too unfair.

Grain of salt: Thanks for the kind words! The blue key room is hard but I think you just need to switch tactic. I give away ridiculous ammounts of RL ammo and there's additional cells on the revenants platforms and between the platforms (where the HK's stand when you enter the room). The telefrag was intended to make speed running more interesting but maybe it's impossible to survive when 3 or more cybies is alive? What I'm getting at here is that giving away more health makes it too easy. I can place additional medkits on the imp platforms just to be kind to you. ;)

The last room is also to make speed running interesting. It's not hard to survive, but it's hard to be aggressive if you're going for a max.

Another go at trueviolence.

I couldn't help but read Grain of Salt's feedback before, but I tried to forget it/not think about it before playing.

Yellow key room is still a bit too hard for me, with emphasis on "me". There are better doomers out there, there are lower difficulty settings I could pick, yadda yadda and so on.

I found the blue key room to be too easy to camp - or perhaps I should say, it encourages you to do so. Seeing a ginormous horde including cyberdemons in a relatively small room, I know I'm not thinking "hey, rushing in there sounds like a reasonable idea", even with three cell packs throwing flirtatious glances at me, especially with a door I can hide behind. As it's not interconnected to the main room in any way other than the door, perhaps you could add a 128x128 room in between with a second door, just to be able to close the first one behind the player's back (and cells could be in there for easy pickup, rather than in front of twenty revenant fireballs)?

Another thing, important to me but objectively minor, is that the stairs leading to the imps were not so obvious, using the same texture and all. A light effect or texture change could be nice.

Final room was nice, just the right kind of fight to close up the map. Overall fun, and deliciously symmetrical. ;)

Edit: I strongly dislike the vanilla plasma sound as well, to the point that I have this autoloading with every port I play. It's the sound from... Uuh... Doom64 arachnotron plasma, perhaps? It's been so long I don't remember where I took it from, but I think it fits nicely and makes the plasma rifle much more enjoyable to use.

--

Edit 2:

I tried to play this fast and ran into a problem: as the teleport lines to the cyberdemons are on the edges, revenants block you off if they're alive.

As it is, this pretty much forces you to either spend some time killing revenants or react with lightning fast reflexes to position yourself in the first gap you can notice. While that can be interesting, I would think it would be more fun if the lines were on sector 31/66/67/68, allowing for direct teleports.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback (I dunno how many times i've typed that line to you this week :P) The blue key battle is no more a campers walk in the park. Also, I retextured the steps so they're easier to spot.

update: http://www.mediafire.com/?xy3bexa1t3fwebj

edit: interesting fda memfis. you played exactly like phml :P but next time you can't camp like that ;)

also, symmetrical is the best :) Why spend twice the time making caves with snap to grid off, when you can make good looking maps with the grid and symmetrical layouts? Also, the symmetrical monster placement makes the map evenly balanced.

edit2: Ok phml, valid point about the teleporter. download link is updated.