Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Multiverse - Community Project for Boom

After some talking with skaman86 I decided to add Doom back in as an introduction map. It will be just a fairly short map leading up to the portal that begins the Doomguy's journey through the Multiverse.

Also I agree, those are great shots, both of you!

good job, dear guys!

I think to joining the party with a Heretic map, i've also found this as a possible base for corridor 7 mash-up ending (as processingcontrol said, and as posted in the first post):
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/50772-corridor-7-alien-invasion-tc/

(since i'm here, i asking to vermil if it's possible use the textures in your level...)

anyway, i just thinking today about some other games over the already mentioned in the list, such as:

- H.U.R.L.
- Arena
- Daggerfall
- Descent
- Witchaven II (i remembered to have seeing it in a older PC Gamer Issue, and i think it could be a good game to be used since it use a sort of fps concept, as far as i remember...)
- Mechwarrior (?)

told me what do you think...

walter confalonieri said:

good job, dear guys!

I think to joining the party with a Heretic map, i've also found this as a possible base for corridor 7 mash-up ending (as processingcontrol said, and as posted in the first post):
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/50772-corridor-7-alien-invasion-tc/

(since i'm here, i asking to vermil if it's possible use the textures in your level...)

I will put you down for Heretic. Yeah, I will PM Vermil about them.

UPDATE: Vermil has given us permission to use his textures for a Corridor 7 map.

anyway, i just thinking today about some other games over the already mentioned in the list, such as:

- H.U.R.L.
- Arena
- Daggerfall
- Descent
- Witchaven II (i remembered to have seeing it in a older PC Gamer Issue, and i think it could be a good game to be used since it use a sort of fps concept, as far as i remember...)
- Mechwarrior (?)

told me what do you think...

I don't know how Descent previously slipped my mind... I think the only reason it did is because you're in a ship and can move vertically as well as horizontally.

I'm not sure Mechwarrior would port to Boom very well.

Vaporizer said:

I'm giving up my System Shock slot. The resources just aren't very good for Doom maps. I think I'm taking another slot.

Alright, I'll await to see what other map you will take.

Also, I'm switching from Strife to Marathon.

walter confalonieri said:

- Descent
[/B]

I don't think descent would be able to be put into Boom because you fly in a ship in Descent

sgt dopey said:

I don't think descent would be able to be put into Boom because you fly in a ship in Descent

You can easily make a moving ship with Boom. The player doesn't have to drive the ship. Just make a level referencing Descent where the player has to clear out enemies starting out from the cargo, and in the end, take over the cockpit or something. You make outside where there are moving/scrolling things and space textures or something to make it look like the ship's actually moving.

TrueDude said:

UPDATE: Vermil has given us permission to use his textures for a Corridor 7 map.

Cool. Anyway, i started working on my map yesterday, just made a room...

Once I finish powerslave i might take Hexen or ROTT

Screenshots

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/screenshotdoom201110091.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/screenshotdoom201110091.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/screenshotdoom201110091.png/

Notes
There is an error with the sky texture it doesn't look right in the software render

The music in the level is E1M1 from heretic (because the PC version of Powerslave didn't have music)

skaman86 said:

Yeah, That sky is pretty weird looking. Can it be fixed? Also, is every map going to be able to have it's own custom sky?

Yeah, I've seen Boom maps with different skies per map. In relation to the sky problem, I think you would need to have the sky modified to wrap around better.

Speaking of specific compatibility, what prboom -complevel should these maps be made for?

Processingcontrol said:

But that's vanilla doom. Wouldn't 7 or 19 make more sense?

Oops, crap. I'm not too well-informed with the complevels, what's the difference between 7 and 19?

sgt dopey said:

The music in the level is E1M1 from heretic (because the PC version of Powerslave didn't have music)

Not midi music no, but CD audio.

Grain of Salt said:

What?

Here's a hint: choose 9.

I think 17 makes sense. Prboom is pretty similar to regular boom, and if this was truly boom compatible than there would only be three skies.

If you want the skies, use the MBF complevel (11).

The point about not using complevel 17 is that it's still more or less in flux; until it's solidified and a new complevel (18) is created for "current PrBoom". So you're not guaranteed to keep demo compatibility, and therefore people prefer to use one of the older complevels.

If the demo angle doesn't interest you, then you don't really have a reason not to use a more featureful engine that'd make it easier to replicate the various games (including creating new actors, even if only decorative ones).

Using complevel 9 means that MBF functions won't work, which means you can say goodbye to custom skies for each map, and to some possible dehacked tricks.

Sorry, I was a bit busy last night so I was only half paying attention. Looking back I probably should've just waited to reply as it seems to have caused a bit of a mess... Since I do want sky transfers, it sounds like either -9 or -11 would be good. What's the pros and cons of using either one?

EDIT: Alright, after some thinking about it I think it should be 9.

heretic map:

http://i.imgur.com/Ufo8B.png
http://i.imgur.com/lzVCk.png

added more rooms from this screenshots...

for whatever wants to know it, that purple-blue wall seen in the second shot is the portal from where the doomguy coming in the heretic universe... if needs to be rid off and showed only in the exit, just let me know it...

No, keep the portal, I wanted one at either the beginning or end, or in some cases possibly both. Is that the FIREBLU texture? I want the portals for the most part to stay the same.

First Marathon Durandal shot: