Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

9 hours ago, bradharding said:

You can get a HUD using the original graphics by opening the console with the ~ key and entering "r_althud off". :)

or in other words RTFM ; )   hahaha       Thanks for pointing that out. I must have missed it!

Brad, since you are working on mouselook, can you make it so I can set it up the way I had it on ZDoom for a while? I was holding the right mouse button to enable mouselook and when I was done looking around I let go of the button and the view returned smoothly to the center. I think it's called lookspring there

https://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs:Configuration#lookspring

Because I like playing without mouselook on but sometimes I want to look somewhere like down a steep set of stairs or I need to shoot a rocket somewhere higher. And it is annoying to use a toggle button.

Since you add little details that no other ports add all over the place to spruce things up, I had one idea I think might have been done before but I've never seen. Could you have it so when you shoot flesh textures they spawn the blood actor instead of the bullet puff?

^ but what if you're playing one of those old WADs that replace original textures?

----------

I've noticed that when you play HacX with the fullscreen HUD, the weapon icons are still Doom ones. It's probably the same in the case of Chex.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:01 PM, Death Egg said:

Since you add little details that no other ports add all over the place to spruce things up, I had one idea I think might have been done before but I've never seen. Could you have it so when you shoot flesh textures they spawn the blood actor instead of the bullet puff?

I think that would be a really cool and rather fitting addition for DR. Nice and subtle, but quite cool and makes sense.

So I don't give this port a go very often due to the constant state of development but what I see I mostly like.

What I am confused about however is the lack of squished gore sprites that normally form under doors from enemies, and how to get the cfg file to read the Timidity soundfont provided by PrBoom+.

On 12/05/2017 at 9:03 PM, cyan0s1s said:

So I don't give this port a go very often due to the constant state of development but what I see I mostly like.

What I am confused about however is the lack of squished gore sprites that normally form under doors from enemies, and how to get the cfg file to read the Timidity soundfont provided by PrBoom+.

The gore sprites will be restored in the next version.

As for sound fonts, I believe the Timidity support in SDL_mixer doesn't support them, only GUS patches. You'd either need to recompile a version of SDL_mixer yourself to allow this, or just use VirtualMIDISynth.

35 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

One more question: will stats be added to the automap? E.g. kills, items, secrets, time elapsed.

No, as I'd prefer keeping the automap uncluttered. You can bring up the console and use the playerstats command though.

14 hours ago, bradharding said:

No, as I'd prefer keeping the automap uncluttered. You can bring up the console and use the playerstats command though.

Hi Brad,  

as mentioned before I respect your opinion on this....   also on things like higher resolutions etc. as we already talked about.

There always be at least two opinions about these things...   one possibility to make "everyone" happy, would be if in the future you'd maybe start to separate two different modes for DOOM Retro. A "pure classic" mode and a "still kinda pure but with tons of cool new s***" mode. 

The 1st being as close to the original as possible (what you originally intended) and the 2nd would have the best of the original but with all kind of optional enhancements.   

Such a solution probably makes sense in the long run because sooner or later (if it didn't happen already) there will be so much enhancements that "retro" doesn't fit anymore ; )

I haven't completely though this through and you don't need to answer this once more since I basically already asked the same thing not so long ago...     but I still thought it might make sense to bring it up again.    

Anyhow...   I'm looking very much forward to your next release ; )    Thanks for all the hard work!

On 2017-6-6 at 3:32 AM, bzzrak said:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/docs/editing/spcial12 (a 1995 tricks demonstration WAD pack)

There's a spcial12.wad (or something) in the zip with all the described tricks, well that one crashes DR 2.4.5 immediately, for me at least

All fixed! Strangely enough it was due to a conflict between the SWITCHES lump in doomretro.wad, and a SWITCHES patch in spcial1b.wad used in a door texture.

What about a console command to change difficulty mid-game if the player thinks the game is too hard/easy? It wouldn't apply until the next map, and a message would pop up saying something like "This change won't occur until the next map."

2 hours ago, Death Egg said:

What about a console command to change difficulty mid-game if the player thinks the game is too hard/easy? It wouldn't apply until the next map, and a message would pop up saying something like "This change won't occur until the next map."

This is a good idea. Thanks, Death Egg. There's a skilllevel CVAR already, but it's read-only and is solely to remember what's selected in the menu. I'll rename it to menu_skilllevel and introduce a new CVAR. There's a few other CVARs/CCMDs that would benefit from a console warning saying "won't be effective until the next map" as well...

Hi, uh, HacX intermission screens display 0% kills, regardless of how many monsters did I kill. Did I mess up something on my side, or was it you? :]

DR 2.4.5

11 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Hi, uh, HacX intermission screens display 0% kills, regardless of how many monsters did I kill. Did I mess up something on my side, or was it you? :]

DR 2.4.5

Looks like it was me. Fixed!

Many string replacements in HacX are not applied, was that always the case? And there are string errors in the console, not finding strings and such.

On 2017-6-15 at 7:26 AM, VGA said:

Many string replacements in HacX are not applied, was that always the case? And there are string errors in the console, not finding strings and such.

There are a few errors that come up in the console, since HacX's DEHACKED lump tries to replace strings such as the screenshot filename format, IWAD filenames, savegame filename format. (It might be worth just hiding these particular errors in this case.) The best I can tell however is all the important ingame strings are replaced successfully (mapnames, pickup messages, cheat messages, for instance). Which strings aren't being replaced for you?

I think I should be seeing that I don't have a "password" but instead it mentions keycard? Something like that, I am not on the PC now. I think as soon as the IWAD is identified as HacX 1.2 then you should prepare its dehacked stuff.

48 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

This map crashes DR 2.4.5. The reason is probably the fact that it (accidentally?) has two empty DEHACKED lumps in it.

Thanks bzzrak! Fixed! :)

Brad can you take a look at this thread?

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56904

You will see that I want to play Doom in the normal no-mouselook way but in specific situations I want to hold the right mouse button down and aim (without autoaim) and when I let go of the RMB the view returns to normal.  Do you think you can implement lookspring in DR like in ZDoom?

4 hours ago, VGA said:

Brad can you take a look at this thread?

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56904

You will see that I want to play Doom in the normal no-mouselook way but in specific situations I want to hold the right mouse button down and aim (without autoaim) and when I let go of the RMB the view returns to normal.  Do you think you can implement lookspring in DR like in ZDoom?

Hey VGA. Don't worry, it's still on my list of things to do. It might not make it in time for the next release, but it'll be in there soon after that.

Hi all! DOOM Retro v2.5 is out now! This one is a major release and sees an extensive amount changes. New features include mouselook and weapon recoil. As always, visit http://www.doomretro.com for the full release notes and to download. Thank you to everyone who has contributed! Enjoy!

Nice! I am quite fond of this source port, as it blends that perfect balance I feel of an oldschool FPS with a more advanced engine during the period like Dark Forces while still having that classic 8-bit color mode like it should IMO.

On 30.6.2017 at 10:52 PM, bradharding said:

Hi all! DOOM Retro v2.5 is out now!

Christmas is early this year : )