Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

So in the console can I set permanent commands? For whatever reason I thought I had to enter them everytime

Absolutely. Change something via the console and it saves the change to the config file.

Hi! I wanted to ask one thing: in my WIP map I have a section where you're given a Berserk+Invulnerability against 30 Imps. Now, when I test it in DR, I have a feeling that it's sped up a bit (when compared to Chocolate). Is this just a mirage or a feature?

bzzrak said:

Hi! I wanted to ask one thing: in my WIP map I have a section where you're given a Berserk+Invulnerability against 30 Imps. Now, when I test it in DR, I have a feeling that it's sped up a bit (when compared to Chocolate). Is this just a mirage or a feature?

There's no intentional difference. Just tested the same scenario myself: berserk + invuln in both DR and Choco, and didn't notice any difference. Perhaps it's because DR has an uncapped framerate and it's giving you the impression that it's faster.

bradharding said:

Perhaps it's because DR has an uncapped framerate and it's giving you the impression that it's faster.

Hmm, I guess that makes sense. Thanks!

Mauzki said:

Any chance of a Linux port?

You can't download the source, get the dependencies and compile it yourself? That's what I do (granted, I use Crispy Doom, but since both are Chocolate Doom based, and since Chocolate and Crispy compile in the same way, there shouldn't be any reason why Doom Retro is any different.)

I hope I didn't come off as rude...

Danfun64 said:

You can't download the source, get the dependencies and compile it yourself? That's what I do (granted, I use Crispy Doom, but since both are Chocolate Doom based, and since Chocolate and Crispy compile in the same way, there shouldn't be any reason why Doom Retro is any different.)

No you didn't don't worry. I was just hoping for it to be per-compiled in a deb package or something like what Zdoom did recently.

Think I found another bug? Sorry Brad haha, but when I turn the music all the way down in the options the sound effects turn off too. When I make maps I play music in the background so testing in Doom Retro made me stumble across this bug

VGA posted a fix to the music/Sfx bug earlier in the thread. It's got something to do with how modern stuff handles midi. I have a folder of the bugfix on my laptop if you have windows and I can tell you how to get it working if you want.

Hoodie said:

VGA posted a fix to the music/Sfx bug earlier in the thread. It's got something to do with how modern stuff handles midi. I have a folder of the bugfix on my laptop if you have windows and I can tell you how to get it working if you want.

That would be great :)

Hi Brad! I've found a bug (or at least it looks like a bug), so here it is:
(contains spoilers for the ones who havent completed Doom 2!)

Spoiler

On the Doom 2 cast sequence, when the monster is facing towards you and when you press "right" ONCE, it turns to the right TWICE (so its right side is facing towards you)

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

That would be great :)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bm19kcr4t3kvc/midimixer

Let me know if this link works.

Steps...
-Run CoolSoft_VituralMIDISynth.exe
-When done, Click the open configurator box.
-In the Soundfonts Tab, click the plus symbol and choose the Roland SC-55 file I added.
-In the MIDI Mapper tab, set windows media player default device to CoolSoft.
-Click Apply and all that.

Now open DoomRetro in windowed mode, and on your toolbar you should be able to access the midi mixer, I had to click on the arrow to see all active programs.

Hope this works for you cause if it doesn't, I don't know how to do it differently lol

Mauzki said:

...I was just hoping for it to be per-compiled in a deb package...

Unfortunately not. My focus is the Windows port, since that's what I have/use, but I still do what I can to resolve any compilation issues with Linux and OSX (and have received some great assistance).

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Think I found another bug? Sorry Brad haha, but when I turn the music all the way down in the options the sound effects turn off too. When I make maps I play music in the background so testing in Doom Retro made me stumble across this bug

Hoodie said:

-In the Soundfonts Tab, click the plus symbol and choose the Roland SC-55 file I added.

Now open DoomRetro in windowed mode, and on your toolbar you should be able to access the midi mixer, I had to click on the arrow to see all active programs.

A known issue that I one day hope to fix. But in the meantime, VirtualMIDISynth is a good solution. Hoodie, I may add your above steps to the FAQ in DR's wiki, if that's ok.

bzzrak said:

Hi Brad! I've found a bug (or at least it looks like a bug), so here it is:
(contains spoilers for the ones who havent completed Doom 2!)

Spoiler

On the Doom 2 cast sequence, when the monster is facing towards you and when you press "right" ONCE, it turns to the right TWICE (so its right side is facing towards you)

Thanks for this. I'll look at fixing this ready for v2.2, which will be released soon.

bradharding said:

A known issue that I one day hope to fix. But in the meantime, VirtualMIDISynth is a good solution. Hoodie, I may add your above steps to the FAQ in DR's wiki, if that's ok.

As long as it works for people then I don't mind at all.

Hoodie said:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bm19kcr4t3kvc/midimixer

Let me know if this link works.

Steps...

Hope this works for you cause if it doesn't, I don't know how to do it differently lol

Thanks a lot Hoodie :) it works

The latest version no longer seems to work with windows xp. I get the "not a valid win32 application" error. Is there any chance of getting a windows xp compatible version?

Brewtal_Legend said:

The latest version no longer seems to work with windows xp. I get the "not a valid win32 application" error. Is there any chance of getting a windows xp compatible version?

In order to take advantage of Visual Studio's latest compiler, I dropped XP support. Here is an exe that you can use, though.

bradharding said:

In order to take advantage of Visual Studio's latest compiler, I dropped XP support. Here is an exe that you can use, though.

Thanks Brad. I appreciate it. I'm going to be stuck on xp for a while and Doom Retro is my favorite post and actually got me back into playing doom from a bit of a hiatus when I first discovered your port. I was pretty disappointed when it looked like I wasn't going to be able to try the version that came out today which had some nice features/fixes I was looking forward to.

Thanks again.

Edit: Unfortunately, the link you gave me doesn't seem to work either and I get the same error message. :(

Brewtal_Legend said:

Thanks Brad. I appreciate it. I'm going to be stuck on xp for a while and Doom Retro is my favorite post and actually got me back into playing doom from a bit of a hiatus when I first discovered your port. I was pretty disappointed when it looked like I wasn't going to be able to try the version that came out today which had some nice features/fixes I was looking forward to.

Thanks again.

Edit: Unfortunately, the link you gave me doesn't seem to work either and I get the same error message. :(

Can you try the link again please? I've updated the binary.

Thanks. The second download gave me an error for some reason the first time, but worked fine the second time. Thanks for doing an xp version Brad. really appreciate it.

Danfun64 said:

So you haven't actually tried it, you just hypothesise that it works. It isn't that simple. Generally the non-windows platforms break quite regularly.

Hi, I've noticed that the behaviour of the IDMUS cheat has been changed: now it works with E4 levels (e.g. IDMUS43 plays the E3M3 music). But a question remains, how do I access the music that was originally on those positions (like D_BUNNY and stuff)?

bzzrak said:

Hi, I've noticed that the behaviour of the IDMUS cheat has been changed: now it works with E4 levels (e.g. IDMUS43 plays the E3M3 music). But a question remains, how do I access the music that was originally on those positions (like D_BUNNY and stuff)?

Yeah, the behavior has been changed so IDMUSxy plays music from ExMy (or MAPxy). Therefore, D_BUNNY, etc. can't be played. Which gives me an idea to work on a playmusic command for the console to overcome this.

Minor bug: Just been playing HACX v1.2 and noticed frames of Doom's rocket launcher popping up when firing the Photonzooka.

Also, a big thank you for creating my port of choice. Keep up the good work. :)

Swine & Roses said:

Minor bug: Just been playing HACX v1.2 and noticed frames of Doom's rocket launcher popping up when firing the Photonzooka.

Also, a big thank you for creating my port of choice. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks! It'll be fixed in the next point release.

I was just playing the latest release of ancient aliens from idgames with v 2.2.4 and the intermission screen that is displayed is the default doom2 bfg edition intermission screen. Terribly distorted as well due to the custom palette.

I'm playing with 2.2.4, and I've found (what looks like) a bug where if power-ups are only partially clipped by a pillar, they aren't drawn. You can see it by loading Going Down and then loading the following savegame:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3192448/GD.zip

Strafe to the right, and the boxes behind the pillar snap into view. Strafe back left, and you'll see them snap out of existence before the pillar actually hides them.

dugan said:

I'm playing with 2.2.4, and I've found (what looks like) a bug where if power-ups are only partially clipped by a pillar, they aren't drawn. You can see it by loading Going Down and then loading the following savegame:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3192448/GD.zip

Strafe to the right, and the boxes behind the pillar snap into view. Strafe back left, and you'll see them snap out of existence before the pillar actually hides them.

I've noticed instances of this sort of thing before, but haven't been able to fix it. I just double-checked, and this also occurs in PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom.

Here's another savegame from Going Down. This one from around the end of map013.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3192448/gd_stutter.zip

As soon as you step into the red lake at the end of the level the sound starts stuttering and the frame rate goes down to around half.

The part of the level I'm talking about is just past 7 minutes, 3 seconds in Katamori's Let's Play.

https://youtu.be/vPqX6mC52bs?t=7m3s

I had similar audio stuttering in an earlier level (same megawad) where a box with a face texture lowers to reveal a cyberdemon. I can't quite remember which level that was.

The r_corpse options slow the beginning of Going Down level 20 (the part where you kill zillions of zillions of imps in a really small space) to a crawl.

Individually, none of them make a difference. It's when they're all turned on at once that the engine can't handle it.

Leaving everything on except r_corpse_smearblood does good results and good performance at that part.