Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.4 (updated May 2, 2024)

12 hours ago, Captain Muskrat said:

I'd love to try Doom Retro, unfortunately I don't use Windows and attempting to build/compile binaries myself is always a trying experience. If it's at all possible, I'd love to see an Appimage produced for this port. Appimages can be used across all Linux distributions, and they really are stress-free. Even if it's an occasional release compared to the primary Windows version, it would be a great addition.

https://docs.appimage.org/

https://appimage.github.io/appimagetool/

Why not use flatpaks? If I recall correctly, you have to manually redownload appimages if they ever get updated while for flatpaks you can update them through "flatpak update" in the terminal at least. Plus, there's flathub and the benefits it brings(one centralized place for downloading flatpaks) while appimage doesn't seem to have anything of this sort.

5 hours ago, DGrey said:

Why not use flatpaks? If I recall correctly, you have to manually redownload appimages if they ever get updated while for flatpaks you can update them through "flatpak update" in the terminal at least. Plus, there's flathub and the benefits it brings(one centralized place for downloading flatpaks) while appimage doesn't seem to have anything of this sort.

I find Appimages to be superior to both Flatpaks and Snaps. For one thing they are extremely portable and decentralized, you can copy and paste them as much as you like, save them wherever, and use them regardless if you decide to switch distributions or not. They are self-contained also, containing everything your application needs to run in one neat little box, so dependency hell is no longer a problem which is a Godsend for games. And Appimages don't mess with your system like Flats and Snaps sometimes do, and Flats are not very secure despite what people might tell you.

https://flatkill.org/2020/

I recently switched to an Arch-based distribution, Instant OS, and I have had the pleasure of finally getting to try Doom Retro via the AUR. I must say it's rapidly becoming my favorite way to play Doom, with some sensible quality of life and visual upgrades, akin to some alternate timeline if id Software had a few more months to work on the game. It's a direction that reminds me of "FNAF Plus" or a "Shovel Knight". Taking an existing game or aesthetic, but enhancing it further, and for Doom it really works well.

I now see no other reason to use other vanilla-based source ports, this one takes the cake for me personally.

Edit: Hmm, for some reason the game no longer has any music after booting it a few times. Aside from the sound effects which are fine, it's now dead silent. Any tips?.

Edited by Captain Muskrat

Hi Brad I wanted to play "Three is a crowd" (aniversary edition) with the latest version od DOOM retro, but anytime I hit New Game, the game crashes to desktop. Will you give it a look?

Thanks

On 7/25/2023 at 2:13 PM, Captain Muskrat said:

I recently switched to an Arch-based distribution, Instant OS, and I have had the pleasure of finally getting to try Doom Retro via the AUR. I must say it's rapidly becoming my favorite way to play Doom, with some sensible quality of life and visual upgrades, akin to some alternate timeline if id Software had a few more months to work on the game. It's a direction that reminds me of "FNAF Plus" or a "Shovel Knight". Taking an existing game or aesthetic, but enhancing it further, and for Doom it really works well.

I now see no other reason to use other vanilla-based source ports, this one takes the cake for me personally.

Edit: Hmm, for some reason the game no longer has any music after booting it a few times. Aside from the sound effects which are fine, it's now dead silent. Any tips?.

Wow! High praise indeed! Thank you! :)

Sorry, I saw your post a bit late: did you manage to fix the SFX problem?

On 8/3/2023 at 2:26 AM, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Hi Brad I wanted to play "Three is a crowd" (aniversary edition) with the latest version od DOOM retro, but anytime I hit New Game, the game crashes to desktop. Will you give it a look?

Thanks for the report. I'll check it out!

EDIT: Fixed!

Edited by bradharding

Found critical bug. If R_LIQUID_BOB is enabled, then very often items cannot be picked up if they are lying in water/lava, etc. The player just run over them or runs through them.

Also on Doom Retro, Magenta Spire won't launch.

Speaking of liquid, I've noticed that if a sector with a liquid flat has linedefs inside it (like, say, for midtex decoration) the player won't actually submerge in the liquid.

8 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

Found critical bug. If R_LIQUID_BOB is enabled, then very often items cannot be picked up if they are lying in water/lava, etc. The player just run over them or runs through them.

A fix is already in place for the next release. :)

8 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

Also on Doom Retro, Magenta Spire won't launch.

I'll have a look at what's happening. Thanks.

EDIT: This now works in the next release.

2 hours ago, indigotyrian said:

Speaking of liquid, I've noticed that if a sector with a liquid flat has linedefs inside it (like, say, for midtex decoration) the player won't actually submerge in the liquid.

Thanks. I've noticed this too and am yet to implement a good fix for it.

Hi Brad, I noticed that the telefrag doesn't work if the space is too small.

In a level for a secret project tried to make a telefrag on a archville and didn't happen. :/

On 8/3/2023 at 12:13 AM, bradharding said:

Wow! High praise indeed! Thank you! :)

Sorry, I saw your post a bit late: did you manage to fix the SFX problem?

Thanks for the report. I'll check it out!

EDIT: Fixed!

Unfortunately I have not. I have also switched from Arch due to stability issues, and am now happily using Fedora Silverblue. I'll stick with it for the forseeable future, but unfortunately I have no way of playing Doom Retro anymore. If an Appimage is ever made, I hope it will solve the music issue.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:24 AM, Herr Dethnout said:

Hi Brad, I noticed that the telefrag doesn't work if the space is too small.

In a level for a secret project tried to make a telefrag on a archville and didn't happen. :/

Thanks. I'll look into it.

4 hours ago, indigotyrian said:

Would it be possible to get an r_linearskies cvar? Stretchy skies looks weird in widescreen IMO.

Done! 😁

9 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

Hi @bradharding, was wondering if there have been any fixes for these issues and when approximately should we expect the next update? 

Right now a mapper I know is preparing a map for release that uses bossaction in UMAPINFO, and wants to put Doom Retro as a recommended port. Just to orient him.

Hi @DRON12261. I've addressed all points except for 4) and 5), which I still intend to fix. (So, `bossaction` has been fixed.) The next version, v5.0, will be a major one and will be released on December 10 (DOOM's 30th and DOOM Retro's 10th anniversary).

On 8/31/2023 at 3:35 PM, bradharding said:

Hi @DRON12261. I've addressed all points except for 4) and 5), which I still intend to fix. (So, `bossaction` has been fixed.) The next version, v5.0, will be a major one and will be released on December 10 (DOOM's 30th and DOOM Retro's 10th anniversary).

Awesome to hear that!

Heretic support next? :P

On 9/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, Endless said:

Awesome to hear that!

Heretic support next? :P

Or simple decorate support(?????)

On 9/1/2023 at 2:35 AM, bradharding said:

In actual case I would like to see a minor 4.9.3(or something like that) with very important fixes before 5.0 is released, without which the port is now either in an unstable state or, in the case of some wads, unplayable. In particular it concerns UMAPINFO problems with bossactions (this is probably the most critical bug now), problems with ExM10+ (saves and crashes) and possibly R_LIQUID_BOB (but at least there is a workaround for this, which is to disable this option). Is it worth expecting something like this? Because December is still a long way off.

18 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

In actual case I would like to see a minor 4.9.3(or something like that) with very important fixes before 5.0 is released, without which the port is now either in an unstable state or, in the case of some wads, unplayable. In particular it concerns UMAPINFO problems with bossactions (this is probably the most critical bug now), problems with ExM10+ (saves and crashes) and possibly R_LIQUID_BOB (but at least there is a workaround for this, which is to disable this option). Is it worth expecting something like this? Because December is still a long way off.

I've been thinking recently I might release v5.0 soon. Maybe this weekend or next. There's a significant number of changes in it already.

Sup! Version 5.0 of DOOM Retro, the classic, refined DOOM source port for Windows PC is finally out! This one has very many fixes, refinements and brand new features. This includes support for DSDHacked, improved game controller support, and much, much more... Please visit www.doomretro.com for the exhaustive release notes and to download. Thanks again to the many supporters of DOOM Retro!

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

Sup! Version 5.0 of DOOM Retro, the classic, refined DOOM source port for Windows PC is finally out! This one has very many fixes, refinements and brand new features. This includes support for DSDHacked, improved game controller support, and much, much more... Please visit www.doomretro.com for the exhaustive release notes and to download. Thanks again to the many supporters of DOOM Retro!

DSDHacked means SD21 works with DR now, right? Edit: Nvm, it does work now. Though both volume sliders were all the way down when I first booted it up, I'm assuming that's not intentional?

Edited by Dweller : Correction

30 minutes ago, Dweller said:

DSDHacked means SD21 works with DR now, right? Edit: Nvm, it does work now. Though both volume sliders were all the way down when I first booted it up, I'm assuming that's not intentional?

Yes, SD21 works (I even made a specific hack so all extra blood leaves blood splats). The volume slider bug I just found myself and I have quickly reuploaded the binaries. Can you please redownload?

23 minutes ago, Dweller said:

I'm a bit curious, are the skies supposed to look like this in the fullscreen HUD?

They are if you have the autotilt, mouselook or weaponrecoil CVARs on.

3 hours ago, bradharding said:

Retro Friday) Good work!

Hi Brad!

I loaded Ancient Aliens in version 5.0.1 and received an error in the music of the first level, the error in question is that the music simply freezes looking like a scratched CD, and in the second level the music did not play. So I recharged the wad and everything was fine. Random bug? I don't know. I just want you to know that. =) And thank you for keeping DOOM Retro on the line of excellence!

Best regards!

Hi everyone! A small point release, v5.0.2, is out now. It addresses several bugs and a couple of new features have been thrown in as well. Please download from www.doomretro.com. Here's the release notes:

• Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
  • The values of all CVARs that have been changed from their defaults are now highlighted when entering the cvarlist CCMD in the console.
  • Pressing the ENTER key now closes the console if nothing has been typed in.
  • These changes have been made to voodoo dolls:
    • They now move at the correct speed when on very slow scrolling floors.
    • The angle they face no longer changes once they teleport.
  • A bug is fixed whereby the BFG-9000’s secondary projectiles would fire off in the wrong direction in some instances.
  • The english CVAR now uses a value of british rather than international.
  • Several improvements have been made to translating certain words when the english CVAR is british.
  • Gibbed corpses now gib even more when reacting to further splash damage if the r_corpses_gib CVAR is on.
  • The vertical position of an arch-vile’s shadow when the r_shadows CVAR is on has improved.
  • A crash no longer occurs when pressing certain keys while the help screen is open.
  • The player’s health, armor and ammo in the alternate widescreen HUD will now quickly count up from zero when entering a map if the animatedstats CVAR is on.
  • A bug is fixed whereby the melee attack of monsters specified in DEHACKED lumps wouldn’t work if they used thing types 150 to 249.
  • The vertical positions of the text on the intermission screen have improved.
  • The vertical positions of the monsters’ shadows in DOOM II’s cast sequence have improved when the r_shadows CVAR is on.

Been following Doom Retro for years. But somehow I have never quite slotted it in to my roster of engines that I use. But today... I have actually downloaded it.

Looking forward to it. Thanks @bradharding for all your work

bug report

In doom retro, I occasionally bounce off a wall or get stuck on a wall when moving diagonally. I don't think this happens in other ports, although I may have seen it once in one of the prbooms. Somebody showed me this article, and I wonder whether it describes the problem and the fix? https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Elastic_collisions_with_walls

ps: doom retro, if not for this issue, would be my favourite port atm