Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.4 (updated May 2, 2024)

Thanks for your hard work, Brad! 

:D

I will start playing with the new version right now ;)

I've noticed that Graphic Detail value is slightly misaligned and does not use the custom font in Speed of Doom PWAD. Was it always like this? 

2021-01-31 02_41_04-MAP01_ First Blood.png

This is so great! I would love to see a Doom Eternal mod that takes advantage of Doom Retro's features!

40 minutes ago, JXC said:

This is so great! I would love to see a Doom Eternal mod that takes advantage of Doom Retro's features!

Sorry, a wifi slowdown made me post that twice.

Also, how does the MONSTERMISSILE flag work? Can you make new projectiles in DEHEXTRA? What about custom codepointers?

Is it just me being stupid or does the 2nd 'eye' switch on the first Sigil map not work any more?  I shoot the first eye and the wall opens up, I kill the baddies and the second switch appears but shooting it no longer does anything.

2 hours ago, Average said:

Is it just me being stupid or does the 2nd 'eye' switch on the first Sigil map not work any more?  I shoot the first eye and the wall opens up, I kill the baddies and the second switch appears but shooting it no longer does anything.

I don't know what could be happening on your end, i jus tried it and made it to E5M3 without problem :/

I have both versions of sigil, the first release and the update(v1.21), and both work without problem.

Edited by P41R47

Hmm, I'll give it another go later.  Perhaps it was just one of those freak things that needs a reboot or something. 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:42 PM, NieMaMordy said:

I've noticed that Graphic Detail value is slightly misaligned and does not use the custom font in Speed of Doom PWAD. Was it always like this? 

SODfinal.wad doesn't contain M_GDHIGH or M_GDLOW lumps, so DR has no choice but to use the lumps in doom2.wad instead.

5 hours ago, Average said:

Hmm, I'll give it another go later.  Perhaps it was just one of those freak things that needs a reboot or something. 

Are you using the latest version of Sigil? I recall there was an issue with the eye switches sometimes failing with earlier ones...

I've noticed that map does not appear sometimes, and the game just freezes until I close it by clicking the tab button again. Is it a known issue? If not, I can try to find a solid repro for that.

Also, loading a save from before this patch results in music not getting played for some reason. 

7 hours ago, bradharding said:

Are you using the latest version of Sigil? I recall there was an issue with the eye switches sometimes failing with earlier ones...

That's what the my issue was.  I'd dropped the first release into DoomRunner by mistake.  Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

I've noticed that map does not appear sometimes, and the game just freezes until I close it by clicking the tab button again. Is it a known issue? If not, I can try to find a solid repro for that.

Also, loading a save from before this patch results in music not getting played for some reason. 

Please redownload DR. I corrected a small automap issue moments after release. 

As for the music issue, I’ll look into it. What wad are you using, or does it happen for all wads?

Hi, Brad!

The new version is really good, your hard work shows on it and the new features are awesome ;)

I'm experimenting a little problem binding keys.

I had the +console bind to '|' in my keyboard is the key to the left of num 1 over the letters and TAB key.

But it is now binded to ''', wich does not work.

If i try to bind the '|' it doesn't work at all.

Also, i found that when the automap is open, the -&+ buttons to the right of the num0 doesn't work to zoom in and zoom out.

And the + buttom changes between high details or low details, the same as F5 key.

4 hours ago, bradharding said:

As for the music issue, I’ll look into it. What wad are you using, or does it happen for all wads?

I experieced it, too.

It happened on almost all wads i tested.

I don't use any virtual midi synth, just microsoft wavetable.

Edited by P41R47

The issue with music occured in Alien Vendetta and other wads, like Speed of Doom. Note, that I use virtual midi synth to play midi.

Thanks @NieMaMordy and @P41R47. The fix for the music will be in the next small point release. As for the binding issues, I suspect it has something to do with recent improvements to supporting non-QWERTY keyboards, which I'll look into further.

Hi, Brad!

How you doing?

I found what the heck was happening to me with the screenshots.

The fucking antivirus (avast, for you, readers if want to know) took every program that generate a file, name it a crash log, screenshot, .cfg, as suspicious behaviour, and so, the screenshot isn't generated.

One way to resolve this, as i found that most antivirus are going that way now, is to also save the screenshot on the clipboard and let the user just paste it on paint if needed.

Sorry for the trouble.

Now i'm on my way to find a better, non intrusive antivirus.

Hey, Brad,

On the new 4.0 version, there are times when sprites will overlap behind a 2D wall/gate/fence and start to appear in front of the wall/gate/fence. I attached a screenshot of one spot but I have seen this happen on a couple other levels as well on this new version.

Any ideas?

Thanks.164913615_spritesinfrontofgate.png.dbc5e531a92500d42528029e937ddaa7.png

1 hour ago, Latin00032 said:

Hey, Brad,

On the new 4.0 version, there are times when sprites will overlap behind a 2D wall/gate/fence and start to appear in front of the wall/gate/fence. I attached a screenshot of one spot but I have seen this happen on a couple other levels as well on this new version.

Any ideas?

Thanks.164913615_spritesinfrontofgate.png.dbc5e531a92500d42528029e937ddaa7.png

Thanks @Latin00032, this will be fixed in v4.0.1, which I hope to release this weekend.

Hello. I'm new here, just registered to show appreciation for this great source port that I discovered recently and ask a question, or make a suggestion. Everything about Doom Retro is great, but the only thing I couldn't figure out is how to enable level stats in the automap screen (kills, items, secrets). Is this feature only enabled through some console command or is it not available at all? If not, it would be much appreciated if added sometime in the future. Anyway, thanks to the developer for his effort and all the best in future work. :)

23 minutes ago, ferra_torr said:

Hello. I'm new here, just registered to show appreciation for this great source port that I discovered recently and ask a question, or make a suggestion. Everything about Doom Retro is great, but the only thing I couldn't figure out is how to enable level stats in the automap screen (kills, items, secrets). Is this feature only enabled through some console command or is it not available at all? If not, it would be much appreciated if added sometime in the future. Anyway, thanks to the developer for his effort and all the best in future work. :)

As of now, its not implemented, as Brad, developer of this source port, wanted Doom Retro to be as close to the original Doom.exe, but with added non intrusive features and compatibilities.

But since the level stats are now on the official Doomnity port, maybe it would be nice to be added as a toggleable option. 

48 minutes ago, ferra_torr said:

It is something I may implement in the future. In the meantime, if you want stats, open the console and enter playerstats.

Currently, I have to simultaneously hold down the ALT key while pressing down the dpadleft or dpadright to strafe either right or left.

Is there a way to just press the dpad left or right to strafe ? All other ports can do this.  Please don't suggest using the < or > keys or other keys. Otherwise, great port.

I'm a rather new user of Doom Retro, I have to say it's a really good port! I like how it adds some cool new features like colored blood and more realistic looking fluid flats, deep water, etc, while still looking like an oldschool port! I got one suggestion though: I've noticed that using a program like Virtual MIDI Synth to be able to switch soundfonts, seem to disable the music volume slider in Doom Retro. Sound effects slider works fine, just not the music volume.

9 hours ago, hawkwind said:

Currently, I have to simultaneously hold down the ALT key while pressing down the dpadleft or dpadright to strafe either right or left.

Is there a way to just press the dpad left or right to strafe ? All other ports can do this.  Please don't suggest using the < or > keys or other keys. Otherwise, great port.

have you tried opening the config file and changing the strafe buttons to the arrows?

You can open the .cfg file, and on the last section is the bind buttons list.

You need to change +left and +right to any other button

And then put left +strafeleft and right +straferight for the arrow keys to work as you want.

Otherwise, it will work just like in vanilla, needing to push alt to enter on strafe mode.

Sorry for the double post.

Brad, i'm experiencing a strange bug.

When i close DoomRetro, the midiproc doesn't close with it.

And i have to kill it from the task manager or else it produce an error whenever i open up DoomRetro again.

EDIT: i make a clean installation and it stoped happening. So i think its nothing to worry, Brad.

Edited by P41R47

Here is another thing, in the doomretro.cfg, only "bind mouse1 +fire" is set, "bind mouse2"  you have to do mannually, its not set, if you want use right mouse, to do an action like in my case "bind mouse2 +use"

10 hours ago, P41R47 said:

You need to change +left and +right to any other button

And then put left +strafeleft and right +straferight for the arrow keys to work as you want.

That worked. Thanks.