Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

On 2/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, Looper said:

Awesome stuff as always! Installed it as soon as I saw the update. Really appreciate the effort and all the fine-tuning.

About this request:

I think this kind of thing could just show the "last time USE key was pressed" into the AdvancedHUD. For example:

K 5/10

I 0/38

S 0/3

T 3.97 (this would only refresh everytime the use key is pressed)

However if someone presses the use key down for 10 frames in a row, it would only show the time from the 1st frame the use key was pressed down. Only non consecutive "use commands" could refresh the timer again.

Any info about this feature? Is it low priority? Was the request too confusing/made no sense?

On 5/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, Alaux said:

Also, I tried changing my music device (could be related?) and tried to use PC Speaker effects, now sound doesn't work at all, not even using my crispy-doom.cfg and default.cfg from 5.7.1 (I had copied crispy-doom.cfg from 5.7.1 to 5.8.0 when I first got the latter, it worked just fine). I couldn't find a way to make it work again. Music still works.

Fixed it. For some reason, sound works on a copy of the flawed Crispy folder, even after renaming it to the name of the original folder.

20 hours ago, Looper said:

Any info about this feature? Is it low priority? Was the request too confusing/made no sense?

Ah, sorry. In fact I have forgotten about this request. It is rather low on my priority scale and it sounds really, really obscure to me. Also, I am reluctant to introduce a separate widget for this. 

Anyway, now you've got my attention back. I think I'll use the level time widget for this for as long as the timer is active. 

12 hours ago, fabian said:

Ah, sorry.

You don't have to say sorry. I completely understand people forgetting/missing posts/things when they are simple very busy, and I can tell you are busy :-)

Thank you for giving it attention.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:01 PM, ceyt said:

Old official binary releases of Crispy Doom are not available anywhere on the internet. It is fun to consider that my existing directories with version 3.2 and 3.3 are now collectible items.n for these files or folders.

I have just restored Crispy Doom's entire release history on Github from a backup of my old web space.

@Looper This is my first draft of this feature (to be enabled in the Crispness menu in the Demo section on page 4). Please check if this meets your needs regarding appearance and timing of the widget or if some adjustments are necessary. Thanks!

crispy-doom-btusetimer.zip

Whenever I'm using Crispy Doom, game audio outputs through my speakers, even though I changed my output on windows to my UMC404HD audio interface that I plugged my headphones into, and all other sound plays out of the correct device except Crispy Doom's audio. Any idea why?

@hangar it's probably an SDL thing but I can't really tell you any more than that. Do other SDL2 programs (if you have any) behave the same?

Can you just disable the other sound device in Windows entirely?

Yesterday I added a feature to Crispy to make the keyed door lines flash in the automap, when extended map colours are on. Later today I'd like to change some of the extended map colours for normal 1S/2S linedefs to be closer to the original colours. Is anyone going to miss them? Is anyone traumatized by excessive blink html in the 90s that they're going to hate this?

T0R9zFs.gif

39 minutes ago, plums said:

Is anyone traumatized by excessive blink html in the 90s that they're going to hate this?

Definitely not me. Having those flashing keyed doors would be quite helpful to find them between the color mess that the automap is.

Oh, uh, turns out I'm still having trouble with my Crispy, every time I restart my computer sound stops working again. I tried replacing the base files (the ones you download) with the ones from a clean Crispy 5.8.0 installation but the problem persists.

help pls

(Edit: It surely is related with the folder the flawed Crispy is stored in, yet I do not know what the problem is)

Edited by Alaux

On 5/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, fabian said:

I have just restored Crispy Doom's entire release history on Github from a backup of my old web space.

That's great. I wouldn't nag if it was available somewhere else on the internet.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:27 PM, hangar said:

Whenever I'm using Crispy Doom, game audio outputs through my speakers, even though I changed my output on windows to my UMC404HD audio interface that I plugged my headphones into, and all other sound plays out of the correct device except Crispy Doom's audio. Any idea why?

If you use per-application output device settings, you need to change it for crispy-midiproc.exe, too. If it's not on the list (and you can't add it manually) then Microsoft is being too smart again.

If you simply set it as the default audio device, and the music still plays through a different one… Do you have a third party MIDI synthesizer that has its own output device options?

6 hours ago, plums said:

Yesterday I added a feature to Crispy to make the keyed door lines flash in the automap, when extended map colours are on. Later today I'd like to change some of the extended map colours for normal 1S/2S linedefs to be closer to the original colours. Is anyone going to miss them? Is anyone traumatized by excessive blink html in the 90s that they're going to hate this?

Both sound like good changes! I do tend to change extended map colors back to more-closely match the originals, and the slow blink for keyed doors shouldn't be distracting at that speed.

Are you seriously asking for red lines for 1s walls and blinking red lines for red-keyed doors as well as yellow lines for ceiling changes and blinking yellow lines for yellow-keyed doors?

Edited by fabian

It sounds like they're actually adding that in themself. Although yes, they should probably have different colors.

@Lollie fabian is the main Crispy Doom dev, I just contribute the very occasional patch. fabian has expressed a preference for the current extended colours as they come from Boom, so we'll see...

On 5/12/2020 at 1:49 PM, fabian said:

@Looper This is my first draft of this feature (to be enabled in the Crispness menu in the Demo section on page 4). Please check if this meets your needs regarding appearance and timing of the widget or if some adjustments are necessary. Thanks!

crispy-doom-btusetimer.zip

Seems like it is missing something. zlib1.dll is missing -> it wont run.

10 minutes ago, fabian said:

It's just the EXE, copy it into your regular Crispy Doom folder. 

I know, and that's what I did. It is missing the .dll as there is no such file in Crispydoom 5.6, 5.7 nor 5.8.

9 hours ago, fabian said:

@Looper Any chance to have a look at the test build (and zlib) that I uploaded for you?

Sorry for the very slow reply. It says libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll missing this time :v

15 hours ago, chungy said:

@fabian If you use "make -C pkg/win32" you'll avoid these silly DLL file missing problems :)

Here's a zip that should be complete: https://chungy.keybase.pub/crispy-doom/crispy-doom-btusetimer.zip

Just as an aside, GCC 10 changed the default debugging format... old DLLs will not work with this EXE. Fabian's system was apparently also updated.

Thanks! It works perfectly, the exe and the feature.

On 5/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, Looper said:

Thanks! It works perfectly, the exe and the feature.

Merged into the master branch, thanks!

Got a doubt, this is from 5.8.0. 

The other day I was recording a demo of a sprawling map, toggled the automap, typed IDDT twice, then noticed that after switching back to the player's view and back again to the automap it was in normal mode, as if it reset. I know that at least in 5.4. I could still view the automap in IDDT mode without it ever resetting back to normal unless I wanted to disable the cheat. 

By reading an implementation from a previous version (5.7): 

IDDT cheat is now reset when re-starting map during demo recording, thanks to Looper for the suggestion.

Which I interpret that this is only supposed to be the case for when you restart a demo and not everytime you switch between automap and player's view?, but maybe I'm not fully getting it... Anyways, thought I'd bring this up in case it was an unexpected issue or just me misunderstanding something.

Here's a thing, yesterday I recorded a demo of a heretic custom map using the last release 5.8.0. and from that I have some observations plus one question from my little knowledge of how Heretic works. 

1. So when I took the exit of the map, instead of showing the tally Crispy immediately closed and showed the "demo was recorded" box. In doom, recording won't stop until you command it. Is this something that is yet to be modified in crispy heretic? I'm guessing this is a natural vanilla limit carried from Chocolate, because it'd be cool if one could stop recording when they want to.

2. By watching the demo via -playdemo, I've seen that whenever I switch to another artifact it isn't shown in the status bar (e.g. still shows health potions even when using bombs). 

3. Pressing the tab key pops up the menu first and then the automap. Same when switching back to player's view. 

Not sure if there are plans to modify these things or if they aren't considered important at the moment, this was my first time recording basically heretic gameplay so I'd thought to bring up these points.

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

So when I took the exit of the map, instead of showing the tally Crispy immediately closed and showed the "demo was recorded" box. In doom, recording won't stop until you command it. Is this something that is yet to be modified in crispy heretic? I'm guessing this is a natural vanilla limit carried from Chocolate, because it'd be cool if one could stop recording when they want to.

This is vanilla Heretic behaviour. Currently you need to use -demoextend to record/play demos past when you end the map, even to see the tally screen. This behaviour will change for Crispy Heretic 5.9 to be the default.

Also if you're recording a demo you probably want to use -shortticfix. Again this will be the default in 5.9.

Viewing the map without bringing up the menu is a good idea and probably doable.

I've noticed the artifacts not switching in demos but I haven't ever dug into it; it might be a limitation of the Heretic demo format. (Though IIRC some demos do switch artifacts??)

1 hour ago, plums said:

Currently you need to use -demoextend to record/play demos past when you end the map, even to see the tally screen. This behaviour will change for Crispy Heretic 5.9 to be the default.

Okay ty! So that means if I want to see the tally screen I have to record a new demo? And so should I replace "record/playdemo" with "demoextend", or use both?

1 hour ago, plums said:

Also if you're recording a demo you probably want to use -shortticfix.

What does that command do? Btw I don't play with mouse at the moment, only keyboard.