Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DrPyspy

[1/31/2024] Doom Delta v3.0.1! (new weapon... AND MORE!)

30 minutes ago, Crazy_Deer said:

Do you know where I could find a link?

It's on the thread's OP, lowermost link.

On 6/24/2023 at 1:36 PM, Crazy_Deer said:

Sorry if this is a bad bump, still new to forums, but is this still gonna receive updates? Or is it considered complete

Sorry for the late response (although I think I ended up answering in the Discord,) I've been busy with some other projects so I've kinda been in a suspended state of animation.

There'll still be updates! I'm very happy with where the mod is at the moment, but I wouldn't quite call it complete, as there is still quite a bit of stuff I'd like to do. Some plans for the next version include:

• Revamped Gargoyle sprites to bring him up to snuff with the other Doom monsters
  • New co-op behavior settings (including individual pickups per player, player pings, etc.)
  • Rebalancing the monster health and adding an option to restore the vanilla Doom values (and letting mapmakers change it for their own maps)
  • Doing a once-over on the shield pickup spawning system to have better variety (and more chances to find them)
  • Fixing some weapon offsets and erroneous state jumping

Some future plans include:

• Press release beta inspired HUD style (with mugshots!)
  • Better deathmatch support
  • Potentially revisiting some of the remaining unused weapon concepts to even out the rest of the weapon slots (i.e. Probjectile, the ever-mysterious Grenade Launcher that gets tenuously mentioned once in the ammo section of the Doom Bible, etc.)
  • Official mapset shenanigans! The primary idea at the moment is to adapt the first and second episodes of the Doom Bible. Not a whole lot to say on this one yet since I've got other projects to work on before I really start going ham with it.

Plans can change and shift of course, but these are some things to expect from THE FUTURE... for now.

Edited by DrPyspy

16 minutes ago, DrPyspy said:

Press release beta inspired HUD style (with mugshots!)

As an ouch face fan, this gets me moist because... just let me look at those ouch faces on damaging floors!

Other features sound nice as well (Probjectile and grenade launcher got me curious, as well as official mapset since I'm part of the upcoming Tom's Halls community project) but for now I'll just mention that as one of the most likely to be implemented soon.

2 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

Other features sound nice as well (Probjectile and grenade launcher got me curious, as well as official mapset since I'm part of the upcoming Tom's Halls community project) but for now I'll just mention that as one of the most likely to be implemented soon.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! This looks really nifty, will definitely keep an eye out 👁👁

Is there any way to turn off the new automap and return to the default one without breaking the mod (I know there's no option in the mod itself, I am asking about slade editing)? I'am way more comfortable with the default.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:07 AM, Doomzilla(iddqd) said:

Is there any way to turn off the new automap and return to the default one without breaking the mod (I know there's no option in the mod itself, I am asking about slade editing)? I'am way more comfortable with the default.

It's a bit tricky, but you can try taking a look in "hud_baze.zsc" and messing with the "if ( automapactive )" block! I'm hoping to flesh out the automap more, as well as provide an option to use the regular GZDoom one in a future update.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:46 AM, OpenRift said:

Tried playing Beta Labs with Delta, but I get this error:

uvxox19.png

Any idea what's goin on?

Seems to be related to how Beta Labs includes its custom player class. GZDoom puts priority of the KEYCONF lump's class definitions over the MAPINFO definitions, meaning Doom Delta's player classes get wiped. The reason it crashes here is that I didn't include any safety checks in the HUD code, meaning it crashes trying to find Doom Delta specific stuff in Beta Lab's player class code. This kinda stuff is finicky to work around, but I think I might be able to hack together a solution in a future update...

For now, if you have a tool like SLADE, I would recommend making a personal copy of Beta Labs that removes the KEYCONF file inside the WAD. It appears Beta Lab's custom weapons only add the alpha-style weapon swaying, so it should be safe to do so without any compatibility issues.

EDIT: This'll also work! In Miscellaneous Options in the GZDoom menu, you can find this:

7uceXXx.png

Setting this to 'No' and restarting the entire game will allow Doom Delta's classes to work properly. I had no idea this existed until now. Let me know if this works out for you!

Edited by DrPyspy

11 hours ago, DrPyspy said:

Seems to be related to how Beta Labs includes its custom player class. GZDoom puts priority of the KEYCONF lump's class definitions over the MAPINFO definitions, meaning Doom Delta's player classes get wiped. The reason it crashes here is that I didn't include any safety checks in the HUD code, meaning it crashes trying to find Doom Delta specific stuff in Beta Lab's player class code. This kinda stuff is finicky to work around, but I think I might be able to hack together a solution in a future update...

For now, if you have a tool like SLADE, I would recommend making a personal copy of Beta Labs that removes the KEYCONF file inside the WAD. It appears Beta Lab's custom weapons only add the alpha-style weapon swaying, so it should be safe to do so without any compatibility issues.

EDIT: This'll also work! In Miscellaneous Options in the GZDoom menu, you can find this:

7uceXXx.png

Setting this to 'No' and restarting the entire game will allow Doom Delta's classes to work properly. I had no idea this existed until now. Let me know if this works out for you!

Yeah, it works. Thanks!

A new version of Doom Delta has been released! v3.0, to be exact! That's right! The third chapter! Check out this nifty trailer:

If you want to jump right in, mosey on down to the webzone and grab a slice of that Doom Delta-shaped pie. The mapping kit has also been updated to include an editor number for the Grenade Launcher!

I've just pushed a hotfix that fixes some customization settings not properly saving to the config file, as well as fixing the Restore Defaults setting not having the proper visuals. It can be downloaded at the WEBZONE! It's under the same version number due to the small size of the fixes, so feel free to overwrite your current copy.

What files do I have to alter in order to actually see the color-keys with the "always show keys" turned on? I hate that so many mods break this option, but at least most of the times it's very easy to fix, this one obviously being the exception.

6 hours ago, Doomzilla(iddqd) said:

What files do I have to alter in order to actually see the color-keys with the "always show keys" turned on? I hate that so many mods break this option, but at least most of the times it's very easy to fix, this one obviously being the exception.

Just found out about this setting! After digging into the source code for GZDoom, it appears it is hardcoded to check specifically for actors that inherit from the default key class. Doom Delta's keys are actually inventory items that provide the player with the vanilla key items once picked up, which helps with compatibility in many cases cases, but unfortunately renders GZDoom's setting useless. I'll look into homebrewing some support for this in the future!

Hey, I was wondering if the coop per-player pickups could be made into a universal mod? Couldn't find a mod like this anywhere.

4 hours ago, mars873 said:

Hey, I was wondering if the coop per-player pickups could be made into a universal mod? Couldn't find a mod like this anywhere.

It would be tricky 🤔 Doom Delta pulls it off by overriding certain functions on the pickups to keep them around and hide them for each player, which isn't possible to replicate universally with how it's implemented here.

I really love this mod, but i was wondering: will you ever include missing sprite rotations for the monsters / player sprites? cause they are an unused alpha/beta graphics that (for some reason) went unused in the final game. I'm sorry if you've seen this question before, i'm just really curious.

Also one more thing, well it's kind of more of a suggestion, but wouldn't it make sense for the shotgun pickup sprite in the mod to use the old alpha 0.4 version to match the "new" hud sprite for the shotgun? it matches up better than the retail shotgun pickup sprite with the little bit on top of the barrel poking out.

Regardless, this is an amazing mod and i love it to pieces, it's really nice to have a mod add in old beta stuffs in a complete state, and now all we need is a mapset that uses the old doom alpha textures to make actual "alpha" levels to use this mod with haha.

image_2024-01-26_214534431.png

SPOSA8.png

24 minutes ago, Tycitron said:

all we need is a mapset that uses the old doom alpha textures to make actual "alpha" levels to use this mod with haha

No End in Sight by NaturalTvventy et al. features quite a few and inspired my love for the cut Doom Alpha textures.

This mod is awesome! Just trying out 3.0 now!

Having a problem getting the helmet hud to go fullscreen on my game. is there a setting I'm missing?

-DERP found it. Software rendering. haha

Having a small issue with stuttering while looking at sectors with lighting effects on them

tried on my map, which is riddled with lighting effects.

then tried on DOOM.wad E1M1

Edited by Chameeleoh

3TO5P7a.png

Doom Delta v3.0.1 is out NOW! The doll sprites look a bit nicer and no longer cut off at the edges of the screen, and some wonky sprite conflicts in KDiKDiZD were fixed. The Plasma Rifle is now closer to its vanilla counterpart, which should help with some nastier ambushes. Download at the WEBZONE! NOW!

On 2/1/2024 at 8:25 AM, DrPyspy said:

3TO5P7a.png

Doom Delta v3.0.1 is out NOW! The doll sprites look a bit nicer and no longer cut off at the edges of the screen, and some wonky sprite conflicts in KDiKDiZD were fixed. The Plasma Rifle is now closer to its vanilla counterpart, which should help with some nastier ambushes. Download at the WEBZONE! NOW!

Came here mainly to look for a fix for those sprite conflicts specifically. Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: hmm the bfg is still invisible and causes some monsters to appear in the corners of the screen for me

image_2024-02-17_164333917.png

Edited by EverChosen97

On 2/1/2024 at 2:25 AM, DrPyspy said:

3TO5P7a.png

Apologies for the ping, but what wad is that. From the screenshot, I see the wad seems to recreate some of the Doom alpha 0.3 or 0.4 style levels which would go well with this wad.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:35 AM, EverChosen97 said:

Came here mainly to look for a fix for those sprite conflicts specifically. Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: hmm the bfg is still invisible and causes some monsters to appear in the corners of the screen for me

image_2024-02-17_164333917.png

I think it is like that because *silght spoilery*

Spoiler

We don't normally get a BFG in KDiKDiZD at all. So it's not really a issue in practice.

21 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Apologies for the ping, but what wad is that. From the screenshot, I see the wad seems to recreate some of the Doom alpha 0.3 or 0.4 style levels which would go well with this wad.

I think it is like that because *silght spoilery*

Reveal hidden contents

We don't normally get a BFG in KDiKDiZD at all. So it's not really a issue in practice.

Ohh I see, maybe that's why theres seemingly sprite replacements for it then. The main issue I was having was that certain custom monsters introduced in the second level were bugging out (forgot to screenshot), but that was before I downloaded the newest version. I was using the give all command to gauge if the issue was fixed or not. Guess I'll just get back to e2 and see for myself. Also I too would like to know the WAD please

22 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

The wad in question is actually just Delta Doom. The newest release has modified versions of some of the original maps that recreate some of the alpha locations to provide extra secrets with the dolls. So if you load up Ultimate Doom with Doom Delta, E2M7 will contain the room in question.

4 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

The wad in question is actually just Delta Doom. The newest release has modified versions of some of the original maps that recreate some of the alpha locations to provide extra secrets with the dolls. So if you load up Ultimate Doom with Doom Delta, E2M7 will contain the room in question.

Had no idea the newest version has those. Thanks for letting us know!

On 1/27/2024 at 9:53 AM, Tycitron said:

I really love this mod, but i was wondering: will you ever include missing sprite rotations for the monsters / player sprites? cause they are an unused alpha/beta graphics that (for some reason) went unused in the final game. I'm sorry if you've seen this question before, i'm just really curious.

@DrPyspy Sorry for the bump but I'm just wondering if this one question will ever get an answer, because Nash made a GZDoom-friendly version of Revenant100's Sprite Fix.

Posted (edited)

This is an incredible mod, and I'm loving every second of it. Very faithfully recreated, while adding a bit of your own spin to make it fun and unique. I am especially impressed by the minimap, that's just insanely useful and well-implemented. I never thought you could actually have that in a Doom game!

I did notice a few errors and bugs though:

Spoiler
  • Blobs are invisible to me, which got really annoying after a while.
  • In the credits, it says "Soudns by Stachekip" at one point.
  • The beta skyboxes are really cute, but I'd recommend getting rid of the template-boxes at the bottom. They're kinda ugly and you can still see them in E2M1.
  • At several points, I became invulnerable to damaging floors, without having a radsuit equipped. Even after getting one and letting it run out again, the effect persisted. I think it's because I picked one up at some point and the effect glitched. Maybe the shields were involved? Who knows.

And some feedback:

Spoiler
  • I think having the option to disable the new hitsounds would be nice. They're not bad, but I wanted to make this feel as "beta" as possible.
  • The Dark Claw is seriously powerful, maybe a bit TOO powerful. You get ammo for it constantly and it tears through just about everything. I didn't even use the Plasma much after getting it, despite having full ammo for that. Maybe limit how often souls drop, I think that'd be a perfect fix.
  • With the helmet-HUD (which I LOVE btw), you can't even really see the weapon nor the bullet casings. I know this is more of an unavoidable side effect, but it'd be neat if there was a workaround.
  • Since maps are already getting changed majorly (love the Easter eggs, especially the zombie-counterpart of the player characters playing Poker), could you also change the text screens to Doom's original story? I know that a better option would be to have unique levels based on the Beta, but for now, that'd be a nice alternative.
  • Really not a fan of the new powerup colors, to be honest. They stack with the shield colors, so sometimes your screen turns brown or purple or ultra red and super green. It'd be neat if there was an option to enable icons within the HUD that indicate what powerup you have instead.
  • Why does the Lite-Amp not even light up anything anymore? I get that people find it annoying, but the current one is useless, especially in levels like E2M6. An option to enable the old version would be appreciated.

Overall, super amazing mod that I don't even think needs more added onto it (aside from unique levels perhaps). This is as finished of a mod as there can be, and that's seriously impressive, especially considering it's based on cut content (as those famously never get finished). 10/10!

Edited by GermanPeter

8 minutes ago, GermanPeter said:

With the helmet-HUD (which I LOVE btw), you can't even really see the weapon nor the bullet casings. I know this is more of an unavoidable side effect, but it'd be neat if there was a workaround.

There's an option in the Delta Options that lets you lower the mouthpiece of the helmet HUD, but I assume you still find it covering too much of the weapon sprites?

15 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

There's an option in the Delta Options that lets you lower the mouthpiece of the helmet HUD, but I assume you still find it covering too much of the weapon sprites?

Yeah, that helped a little, but wasn't enough. Like I said, it's an unavoidable side effect and I'd rather have the full helmet than bullet casings, just a bit unfortunate.

On 3/8/2024 at 4:04 AM, taufan99 said:

@DrPyspy Sorry for the bump but I'm just wondering if this one question will ever get an answer, because Nash made a GZDoom-friendly version of Revenant100's Sprite Fix.

I have considered it! The main bottleneck would be incorporating the same change over to the player sprites, the helmeted variants of the zombies, and the Former Lieutenant (who is also missing a helmeted variant!) Luckily, the Imp would be a lot simpler to bring over.

This would also involve renaming the spritesets to use some new names that wouldn't conflict with any DEHACKED Former Human/Imp modifications, but hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

11 hours ago, GermanPeter said:

This is an incredible mod, and I'm loving every second of it. Very faithfully recreated, while adding a bit of your own spin to make it fun and unique. I am especially impressed by the minimap, that's just insanely useful and well-implemented. I never thought you could actually have that in a Doom game!

I did notice a few errors and bugs though:

Hide contents
  • Blobs are invisible to me, which got really annoying after a while.
  • In the credits, it says "Soudns by Stachekip" at one point.
  • The beta skyboxes are really cute, but I'd recommend getting rid of the template-boxes at the bottom. They're kinda ugly and you can still see them in E2M1.
  • At several points, I became invulnerable to damaging floors, without having a radsuit equipped. Even after getting one and letting it run out again, the effect persisted. I think it's because I picked one up at some point and the effect glitched. Maybe the shields were involved? Who knows.

And some feedback:

Hide contents
  • I think having the option to disable the new hitsounds would be nice. They're not bad, but I wanted to make this feel as "beta" as possible.
  • The Dark Claw is seriously powerful, maybe a bit TOO powerful. You get ammo for it constantly and it tears through just about everything. I didn't even use the Plasma much after getting it, despite having full ammo for that. Maybe limit how often souls drop, I think that'd be a perfect fix.
  • With the helmet-HUD (which I LOVE btw), you can't even really see the weapon nor the bullet casings. I know this is more of an unavoidable side effect, but it'd be neat if there was a workaround.
  • Since maps are already getting changed majorly (love the Easter eggs, especially the zombie-counterpart of the player characters playing Poker), could you also change the text screens to Doom's original story? I know that a better option would be to have unique levels based on the Beta, but for now, that'd be a nice alternative.
  • Really not a fan of the new powerup colors, to be honest. They stack with the shield colors, so sometimes your screen turns brown or purple or ultra red and super green. It'd be neat if there was an option to enable icons within the HUD that indicate what powerup you have instead.
  • Why does the Lite-Amp not even light up anything anymore? I get that people find it annoying, but the current one is useless, especially in levels like E2M6. An option to enable the old version would be appreciated.

Overall, super amazing mod that I don't even think needs more added onto it (aside from unique levels perhaps). This is as finished of a mod as there can be, and that's seriously impressive, especially considering it's based on cut content (as those famously never get finished). 10/10!

Thanks for the feedback! I do have some responses and questions.

• Do you have decals disabled? If so, this could be the reason you don't see the Blobs. Doom Delta already suppresses most other sources of decals (though some may have leaked through) to retain the vanilla-ish vibe, so I very much recommend enabling decals when playing Doom Delta.
  • I'll have to deep-dive into the rad suit issue. The Doom Delta replacement is pretty much 1:1 to GZDoom's default (with the exception of a tag being added for pickup message purposes) so I suspect either a weird shield damage override issue, or something related to the playerclasses' damage override code. If you can supply which character and map you have experienced this issue on, let me know!

These are still responses and questions, however I'm adding the break here to match up with the original post lol

• An option for the hitsounds can be added!
  • The Dark Claw and the Unmaker have been very tricky to balance. At some point, the Dark Claw only used one soul per shot, which is crazy! I'd like to avoid leaving the soul drops up to chance, since a lot of Doom Delta is designed around the new content spawning consistently. I can look into some other things, though, like rebalancing the ammo usage. I've also considered moving away from GZDoom's ripper projectile logic and homebrewing my own, since it can be very unpredictable with damage and larger monsters, but we'll see!
  • Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot that can be done about the helmet HUD blocking things, aside from lowering the mouthpiece in the settings. There used to be a feature that raised the weapon in the helmet HUD specifically, but it ended up looking super weird. I personally don't mind it too much, but I'll keep it in mind.
  • I'm currently experimenting with conditionally overriding the text screens in Doom 64: Unseen Evil, and the system seems to work decently so far, but I'm not sure if I'd bring such a thing over to Doom Delta yet. Could be nifty!
  • I'd be interested in adding some powerup icons to the HUD! The screen blends are a bit trickier. I find the screen blends to be a bit overwhelming even in vanilla Doom, especially if you've got a lot of powerups at once, but I haven't yet found a solution I like that still fits the vanilla-ish vibe.
  • After doing some testing with the light goggles, it seems the effect is oddly diminished in extremely dark sectors, which didn't happen in my initial implementation 🤔 I'll look into making sure it is properly effective in super dark sectors, and potentially look into an optional setting to restore the behavior to the vanilla behavior.