Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seidolon

Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Ask to AnonimVio... anyway i can make that teleport leads to that point on all the linedefs... or putting a different sector or a thing to sign where is the right path you must follow to achieve the secret...

Maybe adding a decoration for a clue on a side of the teleporter is a good idea...

Bauul's map is definitely by no means a bad map, but I certainly think it looks and feels nothing like an original Doom 2 map.

On 10/4/2017 at 0:10 PM, Walter confetti said:

here we go:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xonn8djhfn0eqio/MAP18.wad

Title: The Sixth Seal (title comes from AnonimVio)

Author(s): leodoom85, Walter Confalonieri and AnonimVio

Build time: ages

Music: D_EVIL from TNT: Evilution (i don't remember the title of that track...)

By the way, the music is called "Legions of the Lost" :)

http://uploads.doomshack.org/dkplain10.wad

Alrighty, my maps ready to be tested, hope you guys enjoy it. Let me know if you find any bugs/shitty spots :)

EDIT: Ahhhhhhh fuck, just remembered we can't use custom MIDIs (damn, I worked so hard to Doomify that Zappa tune!)

Just go ahead and use the D_READM music from Doom2 for my map if we're only using stock music.

Edited by Doomkid

43 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Alrighty, my maps ready to be tested

Please, for the love of god, increase the brightness in the dark area, it's awful right now.

Otherwise the map was alright. Linear but fun.

There is a lamp stuck in the wall here.

I just realized that maps in earlier slots are harder than maps in later slots. Something should be done about this.

4 hours ago, AnonimVio said:

This map is bad. Really bad.

There is almost no light variation and very little floor height variation. Map feels empty, there's no challenge at all.

This teleporter doesn't work and it has a HOM.

These doors don't even look like doors.

Why is this a midtexture?

Textures in the door sector should have lower unpegged flag.

Sorry not used to the doom 2 format plus testing in zdoom most of the other mistakes are sloppiness on my part in an attempt to get this map finished I usually handle my map design with care, thanks for the constructive criticism i'll be sure to work to fix all my mistakes and add polish sorry for releasing this without further work. besides all of the bugs, is the map itself okay?

2 minutes ago, NoahMLG said:

besides all of the bugs, is the map itself okay?

43 minutes ago, AnonimVio said:

This map is bad. Really bad.

No need to be so harsh Anonim. Its certainly not the worst map. The general structure of the map had potential, it seems like with some more time and effort it would make a pretty good sandy petersen style city map. It just really lacked a lot of detail as well as monsters. I'd highly recommend sprucing your rooms up more, add some detailing to your ceilings and floor. Make sure that each room has a reason for the player to be in it. A lot of the rooms in the map were very empty and had nothing worthwhile in them. Place some more monsters in areas, make sure the player can't just run past everything. Hope you keep working on it, I think with some more time this will be a good one for the wad.

@Doomkid Here's an FDA https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrjo5urd90z7k15/dkplain10_FDA_Necrum.lmp?dl=0

I never finished the map. I got frustrated with it. Might just be my skill level, and if you've implemented HMP I may give it another go. I personally disagree about the dark room, I think the pitch black is fine provides a cool contrast. As you can see in my demos, nothing is keeping you in that space to fight the hordes lurking in the shadows. It's more advantageous to run. My major criticism with the parts I played was with the door that has barrels in front of it. If they were meant to be a trap, they failed to act as such. All they really do is encourage the player to camp the door instead of running in and directly engaging the enemy. Otherwise it seemed cool, I just really should play with saves haha!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and fuck all those Revenants you shoved in a single room. I could never get the damn rockets to hit the crates. Cost me a few good runs.

Just played your map doomkid. Overall I like it. It has the look and feel of a Doom2 map, but I do agree with Necrum, it is pretty damn hard especially for map10. There was some pretty severe health starvation in my opinion and a lot of the encounters seemed pretty monster spammy. Played it on UV by the way.

c18E87S.png

Wg0zyXY.png

Urbem Daemonium v2 is coming along well

-fixed all of the bugs

-added more enemies into the mix,

-more height and texture variation

-more details in map

-new areas

I'll be posting an updated version of the map that takes your feedback into account fellas, thanks for giving it a spin

I have to pull out. Based on recent comments, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to make a map that is of an appropriate difficulty for the project. :( Sorry for being late with this. 

43 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

I have to pull out. Based on recent comments, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to make a map that is of an appropriate difficulty for the project. :( Sorry for being late with this. 

What, like you'd make it too difficult? You are map29, I would think it being really difficult wouldn't be an issue. 

Hey count, you still got a fresh link to yours? I'll need it, noah's. and map 31's respective links. Roughly for starting and end area purposes on both of those. Rough "map continuity" if you will

21 hours ago, SArais said:

Hey count, you still got a fresh link to yours? I'll need it, noah's. and map 31's respective links. Roughly for starting and end area purposes on both of those. Rough "map continuity" if you will

You need mine? It's not quite finished, still tuning difficulties

After all the very useful feedback, I've had a go at fixing my previous Map 20 submission.  Download here.

The main changes from last time are:

• Increased monster density for a bit more challenge
  • Reworked flow to avoid confusing backtracking and unneeded shortcuts
  • New ending that keeps the spirit of the final encounter, but rehouses it in something other than the cheesy E1M8 reference.
  • Vastly reduced detailing and increased contrast to give it a more Doom 2 style feel

To be completely honest, while the map is okay, it doesn't feel as good as it could be, and I've slightly hit a wall with it.

Therefore, if anyone has the inclination to see if they can make some improvements: please be my guest. While the gameplay feels ok (although it could be improved), it's specifically the classic Doom 2 look I'm just finding surprisingly hard to implement and still look good.  So yes, if anyone fancies giving it some spit and polish, please do.

For reference, the old "high detail" version is still available for download here (including the above gameplay improvements).  In the future I might enhance this other version with GZDoom effects and release it standalone, but that's for another day.

Some screenies:

Spoiler

Mq1cjQe.png

fGfts67.png

ecoe4ED.png

nWfuRtN.png