Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatWeNGuy

Blood Base (My Third Wad)

This is my third wad, dunno what to say.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

DOOM0083.png.690dcd7677e7f9b5577342b1c3b3b68a.png

DOOM0086.png.9edcbfdcc2cc4231f51c3a1f14a8fe8f.png

DOOM0085.png.6df95886b49dc8c66a3dc4e94c8cf5cf.png

The First Screenshot was taken in HMP, while other are UV.

Port Tested on: Chocorenderlimits, Crispy Doom

Download: demonuhoh.rar

I've completed your map on UV in 4.11 minutes, with 100% kills, 80% items and 50% secrets.

The map was a small, very hard hellish castle, with a nice desing and a good level of detail.

Starting with the visuals:

The map was nice detailed. It had a classic doom felling and there were a lot of interconnections between areas and a nice contrast between the inside and outside, all in a very small place so good work. Nothing to say about texture choice and light work. 

If I have to find an inaccuracy, I can say that the map was too square-shaped but that's really nothing compared to the good points. 

Thing placement:

this is probably the weakest point of the map. I understand that a map is meant to be hard on UV, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to beat the revenants ambush without the plasma secret. The rocket launcher is not the best weapon to use in such a small place, so using it against the revenants leads the fight to a luck based "hope to avoid splash damage" thing (while dodging somehow the revenant's rockets).

Also, the final fight is frustrating. The archvile that resurrects all the enemies is a terrible choice having that I have no ammo. Luckly the infighting between the shotgunners gave me sufficient ammo to take down all the enemies, but however the fight seems a little bit unfair overall. Maybe if the archvile spawns as the first enemy I can say "ok, I have not killed him faster enough so this is my punishment" but if the archvile is the last enemy to spawn while the entire room is full of enemies the situation is quite unfair.

The medkit in the last room is quite funny, there is no point for it to be here.

General design:

the map was so small that I can't say anything about the layout. However, I suggest to tag the linedefs that hide your secrets with the "secret/show as 1 side" tag, or I will simply look at the automap and find your secret.

Overall a well designed map, with some problems in the enemy placement but nothing terrible. Nice work.

Inspiring me to try a hell map!

I'll give this a play when I finish work.

Edit: Now done a playthrough.

Holy shit, this was a brutal map. Small but effective use of space. I didn't have much chance to enjoy the visuals because there was always a lot going on, but from the screenshots I did enjoy what I saw.

Contrary to @Simomarchi's experience I was able to rocket the revenants. I put it down to two things. 1: I'm fresh off Sunder map02 where you rocket 100+ revenants in a tight space, and 2. I'd already died to them and knew they were there and was very careful to not wake them up. The map seems a little too geared towards foreknowledge being the key. Same with the trap once the red key is grabbed. Once I messed up the first time, I knew to get my ass to that door before the Arch-Vile spawned in. 

Anyway, very tough map, enjoyed it even though I was swearing the whole time.

Edited by Magicana

22 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/466810679

I play this at 31:12 into this playtest livestream. I was not expecting things to get very hard all of a sudden, to say the least!

As you were complaining about health, I was praying you'd find the same soulsphere secret that I did!