Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

Posted (edited)

Thank you, I knew all that but I mean I never looked into the more technical side. I'll check if I can find some benchmarks and if it's even worth it, like you said probably not anymore, on CPU %, RAM usage and FPS.

Asking also because alt+tab with Woof and Nugget is a pain when in Exclusive but with DSDA it acts like nothing, maybe it's that hardware thing, not sure.

Edited by CacoKnight

1 hour ago, dasho said:

Exclusive fullscreen means the program is allowed the change the actual resolution of your display among other things, which if you've ever done this with a low resolution will leave your windows jacked up when you exit the program. Historically this offered performance improvements but I don't know if that's necessarily the case these days.

Woof never changes the desktop resolution. Borderless fullscreen forces VSync (at least on Windows), we added exclusive fullscreen to be able to disable VSync and use modern advanced options - variable VSync (GSync, FreeSync), adaptive VSync, etc.

1 minute ago, rfomin said:

Woof never changes the desktop resolution. Borderless fullscreen forces VSync (at least on Windows), we added exclusive fullscreen to be able to disable VSync and use modern advanced options - variable VSync (GSync, FreeSync), adaptive VSync, etc.

No, I get that, I have Woof installed locally, but was trying to think of the most obvious (to the user) way to differentiate the two modes in general.

Posted (edited)

Thanks to both of you, that GSync/FreeSync stuff makes sense why it feels a little smoother in exclusive fullscreen.

Edited by CacoKnight

Posted (edited)

hey team, quick feature request..

back in january the autoload logic was tweaked, adding the "freedoom" and "miniwad" GameVariants to prevent autoloading from the "doom-all" folder when using them

recenlty I started using the miniwad variants by @brightentayle instead of the old one by @fraggle

could you please add these two iwads to the "miniwad" GameVariant as well?

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/136409/

4 hours ago, liPillON said:

hey team, quick feature request..

back in january the autoload logic was tweaked, adding the "freedoom" and "miniwad" GameVariants to prevent autoloading from the "doom-all" folder when using them

recenlty I started using the miniwad variants by @brightentayle instead of the old one by @fraggle

could you please add these two iwads to the "miniwad" GameVariant as well?

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/136409/ 

I was actually planning to update both miniwads since there's a tiny "bug" related to the custom blood colours - and also whatever MrFlibble found during his Boom experimentations, so uh... if that request ever gets fulfilled, maybe a bit later?

Posted (edited)

afaik woof does not rely on a file checksum/hash to identify which iwad is being loaded, so your work on these iwads should not be constrained by what fabian and rfomin are cooking up over at github (and vice-versa)

Getting an odd behavior with analog sticks which I don't think was in older versions. I can move the stick around and that gives input for all directions, EXCEPT for straight left and straight right, it's completely dead and I get nothing. The weird part is that if I start movement with anything which isn't those directions, and then move the stick to those positions, then the input works just like normal (until I let go).

Is this a matter of some setting somewhere, or is this a bug? Anyone else experience this?

Was just using Woof v1.4.2.0, tried updating to v1.4.3.0, but it persists.

(v14.3.0) After passing the text screen of map 6 of Doom 2 by pressing the "use" key, in the next level Doomguy immediately presses the switch to lower the walls, this does not happen if you restart the level.

8 minutes ago, Siglev_ said:

(v14.3.0) After passing the text screen of map 6 of Doom 2 by pressing the "use" key, in the next level Doomguy immediately presses the switch to lower the walls, this does not happen if you restart the level.

And maybe this is related too, not sure how to reproduce it.

3 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Getting an odd behavior with analog sticks which I don't think was in older versions.

I can't reproduce this. Are you sure it didn't happen in older versions? Are you still using this controller? If so, read the comment below yours again.

51 minutes ago, Siglev_ said:

That's vanilla Doom behavior and I think changing it would desync demos.

42 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

And maybe this is related too, not sure how to reproduce it.

That's not related.

14 minutes ago, ceski said:

That's vanilla Doom behavior and I think changing it would desync demos.

I was not aware of this detail, sorry for the misunderstanding.

QOL feature request: would it be possible to add the option of automatically loading the latest savegame upon death?

12 minutes ago, s4f3s3x said:

QOL feature request: would it be possible to add the option of automatically loading the latest savegame upon death?

It's already there: Options->General->Misc->On Death Action

51 minutes ago, ceski said:

I can't reproduce this. Are you sure it didn't happen in older versions? Are you still using this controller? If so, read the comment below yours again.

Same controller, did not happen in older versions.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, rfomin said:

It's already there: Options->General->Misc->On Death Action

Oh, sorry. I actually always wondered what was that about ("what action?").

Thank you!

Anyone able to get controllers working in multiplayer? Just setup woof for my boyfriend and he's able to use it in singleplayer, but not multiplayer. Joy_enable is 1 in the config file.

10 minutes ago, grendelw said:

Anyone able to get controllers working in multiplayer? Just setup woof for my boyfriend and he's able to use it in singleplayer, but not multiplayer. Joy_enable is 1 in the config file.

That's a really old bug that needs to be fixed. For now, turn the controller off, then turn it back on.

24 minutes ago, ceski said:

That's a really old bug that needs to be fixed. For now, turn the controller off, then turn it back on.

Wow, alright. Didn't expect that to work haha. Thanks.

Speaking of vanilla, are savegames compatible between Choco, Crispy and Woof (aka can I copy-paste them in their respective folders) ?

4 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

Speaking of vanilla, are savegames compatible between Choco, Crispy and Woof (aka can I copy-paste them in their respective folders) ?

Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom are compatible with each other (and with vanilla), but Woof is not.

13 minutes ago, Betelgeuse said:

Can you add the ability to change the secret sound, just like how it sounds in dsda-doom?

Woof will use a DSSECRET sound lump if there is one. Download this and put it in your doom-all autoload folder to have it sound like ZDoom/dsda

dsda-secret.wad

On 3/15/2024 at 3:15 PM, Shepardus said:

Reporting an issue seen in the Chex Quest 3: Vanilla Edition thread. It seems that when loading the WAD as an IWAD, rather than an Ultimate Doom PWAD, the UMAPINFO is ignored. In 14.2.0 this is mostly not visible, except that the fourth episode is selectable as a blank menu entry (the UMAPINFO only has three episodes), but in 14.3.0 it displays the Ultimate Doom episode names in DBIGFONT instead.

This has been fixed (thanks for that!) but I only just noticed that the skill selection menu is also displayed using DBIGFONT instead of the graphics lumps from the WAD, e.g. saying "Ultra-Violence" instead of "Extreme Ooze."

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 9:59 PM, dr.dendrite said:

Are there any plans to allow this during -shorttics recording? Now that there is a "virtual" view angle maybe you could just maintain that in high precision to give the appearance of nice smooth turning and only quantize down to 8-bits for the tic data

On 3/7/2024 at 11:03 PM, ceski said:

I experimented briefly with that idea a while ago, but left it out since I was concerned it would be too disorienting. Maybe I'll look at it again in the future, but not right now.

You should check out the Marathon source port 'Aleph One', it has this kind of feature built in (Marathon ALWAYS has -shorttics - esque player angle restrictions internally, but Aleph One totally decouples the camera from it)

It doesn't seem too disorienting to me, I think most people might not even notice it if nobody told them about it.

Essentially with its implementation it feels totally normal except your shots slightly align to fixed angles. It's not a 'smooth transition' between the limited angles - the camera is simply separated from them entirely.

I had this error playing map 12 of plutonia 2 

R_DrawSpriteRange: bad texturecolumn

I'm using doom_wide mod for status bar and doom2 sprite fix mod, the game crashed during a fight, will check if it happens again

Okay, second run of the map, and no crash so far ...