Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

i really don't like being in this community

There's also all the shit that happened to Skulltag. I miss that port a lot. I know Zandronum is technically "the same thing", but it's not THE SAME THING if you know what I mean. :-(

15 hours ago, Decay said:

You'll find some great people sure, but even they often have terrible personalities behind closed doors. A lot of people treat it like a theatre show - how much attention can you get, how big of an act can you put up, how many likes/followers can you get, how many people can you subtly control. You see less of it on the forums these days but if you dig even just a little bit there's a lot more negativity than you might think.

I mean like... I can't argue with that really. I mean I haven't seen it in the Doom Community but I did see it happen a lot with YouTubers in the past year or two. I can see where you're coming from but I also want to not think like that. I've been negative and pessimistic before and lately, I just got sick of pessimism (not saying its an invalid mindset to have, just that its not for me anymore) and decided to actively try and look for the good in people. I guess I'm trying to say is: be cautious of people both online and IRL but also try to lean more towards assuming the best with people rather than the worst.

The last part sounded way too preachy than I intended. I didn't mean it like "Do X, Y, Z" like how it came off. I just don't know how else to word it.

roadworx sometimes people that have left come back and reconnect and tell ya all the stories of what they got up to when they were away. As in real life, online communities are like that. It tells me that the person that quits a community never really truly forgets about the people in it even if they made the choice for their life to stop visiting. That's heartwarming to think of, right? 

11 minutes ago, Reelvonic said:

a little aggressive there.

Sorry. A harsh way to say it, but, seriously, if you something is harming you just walk away from it. It came out like that because, right now, I'm drunk and angry, mainly because of these lockdowns.

I believe as human beings, we can't use online forums to substitute actual face to face contact and interaction. We evolved in tribes and grew up in villages and towns were we all would know each other or at least recognize one another. Leaving for another place was rare and met with teary farewells. It's recently that international travel (but not anymore, thanks lockdowns) and all the modern benefits of technology and mass transit allow people to travel very far from their place of origin. The human animal is not designed for this but can cope. Then with the online world were people can just disappear; the human animal is definitely not designed to handle this and some of us take it very badly when our online friends just vanish.

1 minute ago, Reelvonic said:

i mostly mean the people who think the newer games are better and that doom123 are old and outdated garbage.

or people who are only like "rip and tear" or "tear out that imps spine and stab it with it" and dont like the older games unless with brutal doom or think doom3 sucks

(doom 3 is a great game)

idk

they have every right to think that - you gotta accept that not everybody is gonna share your love of this game. a lot of people are gonna prefer the newer games for various reasons, and i'm sure that some people probably hate playing the original games. that doesn't mean much other than they've had different experiences than you, they have different preferences, and are different people. i get that you have a lot of passion for this game, and most of us here do, but you can't get upset whenever someone says that the og games are bad without brutal doom or whatever, y'know?

i used to be the same way, but as i grew older i just learned to accept how other people feel about stuff i love. if they're toxic about it and are gonna sit there and act like a douche whenever i bring it up, then they're likely just a kid who thinks their opinion is right and everyone else is an uncool moron (as kids tend to do) or they're just an asshole, and you should just avoid that person. mind you that i'm not talking about them getting upset if i were to say that i think abc sucks and xyz is superior and anyone who disagrees is a dumbass, because that'll upset anyone. i'm talking more the people who actively shit on whatever i like and berate me for liking it without provocation

again - don't feel like they're attacking you when they're super passionate about what they like. it's okay that they feel that way, just like it's okay that you're super passionate about the classic doom games. diversity is part of what makes our species beautiful :)

18 minutes ago, Snark said:

Sorry. A harsh way to say it, but, seriously, if you something is harming you just walk away from it. It came out like that because, right now, I'm drunk and angry, mainly because of these lockdowns.

after what everyone has said, i've come to the conclusion that the happiness heavily outweighs the harm it brings, so i'm staying. even if i didn't come to that conclusion, i'd probably still stay, because i'm really attached to this community

I had mentally composed a response to a post in this thread, but I saw the warning point coming a mile off and decided not to bother. Maybe the moderation is working.

Anyway, I find it pretty weird that one would get so attached to people on here. After 16 years of Doom community time, I can point to users I liked and plenty I don’t/didn’t, but it’s the place itself that has value. Even ignoring all of the history, it’s a good place to find more stuff to play and share things that I’ve made. What profile pictures and made up names are in those threads or behind the WADs is just background noise, really.

It seems like most users only hang around a few years before drifting away, and that seems pretty normal. There’s a lot more to life than a few forums and Discords for one game franchise. Sometimes people come back eventually anyway, such is the longevity of the community. Embrace the change. Feel free to drop out yourself for a month or five. I do it fairly often and it’s never been a big deal. It’s all still here to come back to!

i really don't like being in this community

mandatory "yes i know the title sounds clickbaity as shit"

Few months later: "I've got sick from Doom. Extra seriously this time".

People drift, move on and sometimes never come back, it's unfortunate but it happens in forums just like in real life.

People burn out, get bored of things or find better things, hell I myself am like that, if I achieve anything productive on this forum it's an absolute miracle all I do is get lax-poetic in my shitposting at this point (emphasis on the lax lmao). Just like real life, how many people do you still know from school (if you have left), how many do you still talk to?

It's sad but it is all about how you handle it, you see it may suck to lose people and it is crap they ain't around or present in your life now but you loved it when they were, you look upon the past with them with happy memories, the fact that you even have those memories is great.

I should learn not to hold on and to remember what I had and be thankful for the memories, the fact that they left an impression and I also left one on them. Do not mourn their departure and instead take joy in what you were able to achieve when they were here.

It makes it hurt less at least, although that's real life, don't really know if it is useful here.

8 hours ago, roadworx said:

wait, what happened?

I vaguely remember drama between the mods and dev for Skulltag/Zandronum and ZDaemon, some forum trolls and some rivalries between some clans over the years.

Oh, looks like Doomkid kind of got some more details in there.

All good things must come to an end however that doesn’t mean that there won’t be new things to find and look forward to.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:30 AM, Decay said:

The doom community is overall pretty shitty. But it's kind of par for the course for most game related communities. You'll find some great people sure, but even they often have terrible personalities behind closed doors. A lot of people treat it like a theatre show - how much attention can you get, how big of an act can you put up, how many likes/followers can you get, how many people can you subtly control. You see less of it on the forums these days but if you dig even just a little bit there's a lot more negativity than you might think.

But hey Doom modding is pretty awesome so it may or may not be worth sticking around for that.

Could be wrong, but that sounds like more of a general *human* problem as a whole.