Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

[Release, v1.0.2] Freaky Panties IV: Hipsters and Bikinis

The difficulty settings in Freaky Panties IV do not behave in the same way as the traditional Doom difficulty settings: the same monsters and items appear regardless of difficulty.  Instead other aspects of the game change in order to raise or lower the difficulty.  For example, on easy difficulties, the monsters are weaker and less aggressive.  A brief description of the difficulty is provided in the menu when you select it. 

Ohhh this is quite interesting. I'd love to see more of this instead of the usual ''lower skill = less enemies''.

And of course, this looks freaking gorgeous!

6 minutes ago, Endless said:

Ohhh this is quite interesting. I'd love to see more of this instead of the usual ''lower skill = less enemies''.

Yeah, I've heard that mentioned many times in the past in various threads, which is one reason I keep experimenting with alternate ways to implement difficulty.  Some of my ideas have come from arcade games, actually.  They don't seem to often use the less enemies = easier formula, or at least the ones I play don't.

Between this and Freaky Panties 1's dynamic difficulty system, I'm not sure which I like better.  I may update and expand the system from FP1 based on feedback I received for the next release in the series.  Or maybe I'll combine the two.  We'll see what the future holds ^_^

3 minutes ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

Dose the level assume mouselook is enabled?  I just downloaded K8Vavoom and I have no clue how to configure it.

Yes, it does.  Jumping and crouching should have been automatically disabled via mapinfo, too.

As for configuring it... the menu options all have help text at the bottom of the screen.  That may help you out.

So I played the map "wearing regular underwear?"

(pun)

Is Doomguy actually Doomgirl in this level or is Doomguy just experimenting?

What makes panties freaky and how can freaky panties be more extreme than going commando?

I was baffled by the lack of panties.... most monsters were naked... like Imps, Cacos, Hellknights, Barons etc...

And the former humans and sergeants? Are they wearing panties? Something more exotic? Or are they going... commando?

I assume the chaingunners are going commando!

So many questions! :-)

(/pun)

What happended to Freaky Panties III ? I can't find it anywhere...

Also Freaky Panties I doesnt seem to work in GZDoom 4.6.0 nor the latest k8vavoom

Freaky Panties II works fine in GZDoom 4.6.0 but doesnt seem to have any references to the name itself

I'll have to try some of the other difficulty levels to see how this new difficulty system works.

Ideer for Freaky Panties V:

same difficulty system but the playerpawn sprite changes to reflect the chosen difficulty

The level looks very nice

I got stuck after clearing everything up until the teleporter, I got the message that a one way ticket to hell was unlocked but nothing happended when I tried to use the teleporter.

I am using k8vavoom from the 27th of October 2021 (k8vavoom_561027?) to run Freaky Panties IV

Edited by CBM

I have been playing it for around half an hour and while it clearly is well made, it murders my computer.  The low framerate has thrown me for a loop so much that I am having a hard time actually playing it (and making me feel slightly motion sick).  I tried to turn off all of the extra lighting and gore effects but I am having no luck.  It however seems to be really good regardless.

Great map. But there's nothing I can do after "one way ticket to hell activated". There's a teleport pad but it doesn't work.

24 minutes ago, game said:

Great map. But there's nothing I can do after "one way ticket to hell activated". There's a teleport pad but it doesn't work.

same here... well... I tried playing on Im too young to die and after that I tried playing on ultra violence

...and on ultra violence the teleporter actually worked

tried multiple teleporters and all teleporters are confirmed to be broken on the easiest difficulty... I also get the feeling that the monster count is lower on the easiest difficulty, but that might just be me.

having tried one of the other freaky panties then I must say that number IV is still my favorite pair so far

Edited by CBM

1 hour ago, game said:

1 hour ago, CBM said:

I got stuck after clearing everything up until the teleporter, I got the message that a one way ticket to hell was unlocked but nothing happended when I tried to use the teleporter.

For some reason, I can't duplicate this on that build (build561027) of K8 at all, regardless of what I try.  The teleporters work on all difficulties for me.  The only difference is that I'm running on Linux, but that should not affect a line action at all.  Maybe there's some odd bug in the Windows version of K8 that @ketmar knows about regarding lines that trigger a script, or the TeleportOther() function in ACS.

Neither of you are loading any additional wads/pk3s/mods, right?

1 hour ago, CBM said:

I also get the feeling that the monster count is lower on the easiest difficulty, but that might just be me.

I think that might just you ^_^  All of the things on the map appear on all difficulties, and there's no checks for game skills in the ACS.

uwtxrn.png

6 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

For some reason, I can't duplicate this on that build (build561027) of K8 at all, regardless of what I try.  The teleporters work on all difficulties for me.  The only difference is that I'm running on Linux, but that should not affect a line action at all.  Maybe there's some odd bug in the Windows version of K8 that @ketmar knows about regarding lines that trigger a script, or the TeleportOther() function in ACS.

Neither of you are loading any additional wads/pk3s/mods, right?

I think that might just you ^_^  All of the things on the map appear on all difficulties, and there's no checks for game skills in the ACS.

LOL that's fair

I'm only loading your pk3 file and I downloaded k8vavoom specifically to try your level.

But yes it is quite possible that the Windows version has some weird bug that prevents the teleporter from working on the easiest difficulty.

If it works on the Linux version then it must be the Windows binary (I downloaded a precompiled Windows binary).

I am kind of intrigued to see what ketmar thinks of this.

2 minutes ago, CBM said:

I'm only loading your pk3 file and I downloaded k8vavoom specifically to try your level.

But yes it is quite possible that the Windows version has some weird bug that prevents the teleporter from working on the easiest difficulty.

If it works on the Linux version then it must be the Windows binary (I downloaded a precompiled Windows binary).

I am kind of intrigued to see what ketmar thinks of this.

Same.

For now, could you try this for me?  I've re-enabled the debug messages I have littered throughout my ACS code in this build of the level.  Make sure these lines appear somewhere in the console after you start the level:

Spoiler

Debug: DEBUG: Debugging mode enabled
Debug: DEBUG: Running libalexa's libalexa-handle-enter script
Debug: DEBUG: Player's new TID is: 26776

The TID will obviously be different.  When you reach the teleporter and try to go through it, it should say this:

Spoiler

Debug: DEBUG: Hopefully teleporting player
Debug: DEBUG: Player teleported

Let me know if you do indeed see these with this new zip.  This is just to rule out a few things while we wait for Ketmar, namely that the player TID is getting set, that script 20 is running (that's the teleporter script), and that the engine makes it past line 387.

Do I missed FP3? or doesn't exist?

And the good old dynamic difficulty is back. Gonna try it now.

This is odd

I just tested the debug version and the regular version on too young to die and hurt me plenty and in all 4 cases the teleporters work... however... I was testing with god mode on and when I was testing on hurt me plenty for the first time I was also in god mode...

can god mode somehow be affecting the linedef?

I will try again on the debug version on too young to die and not cheat this time and then see if the teleporter works then

(this is the exact scenario where the normal level seems to glitch on windows)

Just now, CBM said:

can god mode somehow be affecting the linedef?

That shouldn't, I tested just doing a normal playthrough without god mode enabled.  And with god mode.  I think it's an engine bug.

21 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

That shouldn't, I tested just doing a normal playthrough without god mode enabled.  And with god mode.  I think it's an engine bug.

I tried the debug version, too young to die and no cheat... and the bug reappeared... I have made a rar of the save and the log

I DID use resurrect a few times though (playing while also eating and not paying sufficient attention plus I am kind of noob at playing doom)

test.rar

4 minutes ago, CBM said:

I tried the debug version, too young to die and no cheat... and the bug reappeared... I have made a rar of the save and the log

So for whatever reason, it looks like script 20 isn't reliably being triggered.

9 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

So for whatever reason, it looks like script 20 isn't reliably being triggered.

When one teleporter doesnt work in the map then the others on the map doesnt work either, so it may be more than just script 20, assuming each teleporter has its own script.

Its the last entry in the log that contains the game where the teleporter(s) don't work, but only the first teleporter is tested in that entry...

However previous runs suggests that when one of them don't work then none of them do.

27 minutes ago, CBM said:

However previous runs suggests that when one of them don't work then none of them do.

I just tried the Windows port using Wine (best I can do, I don't have a copy of Windows at all).  It works for it in there for me.

My only thought right now is to wait for Ketmar to release a new build.  I don't think it's anything to do with the teleporters in my level in particular since there's nothing too tricky going on with them.  Or at least nothing I've done differently from anytime in the past.

A bit of backstory:

Spoiler

I have an ACS library that has some code I commonly use in my map.  Stuff for spawning monsters and such.  One of the things it does is it assigns a unique TID to the player when the map very first loads using an ENTER script, then makes this available via a global variable called PlayerTID.  That's what the "Player's new TID is" debug line is about.  The practice of doing it this way comes from many, many years ago when I was first learning ACS and didn't realize some of the hacky things you could do, like script "activators".  I've stuck with it because it works, and because I would prefer not to have to wonder what the activator of a script is all the time.

The player should never have to care about this library, regardless.

Another thing: I build K8Vavoom from source.  I've been running the latest bleeding-edge code, but I also tested the heck out of FP4 with build 561027 before release.

During development I noticed that lines flagged as tripwires triggerable only by the player could be triggered by monsters as well, and opened a ticket for this.  Ketmar fixed it, but this fix came after build561027.  To work around it, I changed the tripwire lines that only the player could activate to ACS scripts where I just do a quick "if(ActivatorTID() == PlayerTID) {...}" manually.  This allowed it to work in build561027 for me, and was forward compatible with future builds where the bug was fixed.  Yay for my "PlayerTID" routine, eh?

Script 20 is very, very small:

// Teleporter to hell
script 20 (void) {
    if(ActivatorTID() == PlayerTID) {
        DebugLog("Hopefully teleporting player");
        TeleportOther(PlayerTID, 14, false);
        DebugLog("Player teleported");
    }
}

It just teleports the player to spot 14, which is a TeleportDestination thing at the start of the Hell area.  The line is flagged to only trigger when the player crosses, and to be repeatable.

The other teleporters use the same logic in a separate script.  The only difference is that they teleport you to a different spot if you have all the keys.  Same trigger flags.

// Main teleporter for hell area
script "two-door-teleport" (void) {
        int red = CheckActorInventory(PlayerTID, "RedSkull");
        int yellow = CheckActorInventory(PlayerTID, "YellowSkull");

if(red == 1 && yellow == 1) {
            // Both keys obtained, put the player close to the two locked doors
            TeleportOther(PlayerTID, 213, true);
        } else {
            // Back to the starting point for the second section
            TeleportOther(PlayerTID, 14, true);
        }
    }
}

Since I'm not seeing those two debug messages in the log file you provided, it's telling me that either the "ActivatorTID() == PlayerTID" case isn't working correct, or script 20 isn't firing at all.  I suspect the latter given the bug I reported earlier this week.  But I can't tell for sure.  Maybe it's some obscure Windows thing.

So yeah.  Without having an actual Windows machine, I can't do much else on my end at the moment :-/  Wait and see!

24 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

So yeah.  Without having an actual Windows machine, I can't do much else on my end at the moment :-/  Wait and see!

All your scripts looks perfectly reasonable so yes, we will wait and see what it could be. However it could be kind of interesting to see what the playerid var is in that situation where it refuses to teleport

btw. I noticed some charecters that windows didnt recognize in your code when copy-pasting:

script20.png.c8c3943bc9bbcbefcbc71e3a8f5beb9a.png

something like this... (not sure if the added lines use correct syntax):

// Teleporter to hell
script 20 (void) {

DebugLog("Going to activate script 20")
    DebugLog("PlayerTID is ",PlayerTID);
    DebugLog("ActivatorTID is ",ActivatorTID);

DebugLog("Hopefully teleporting player");
        DebugLog("Player teleported");
    }
}

2 minutes ago, CBM said:

something like (not sure if the added line uses correct syntax):

DebugLog(StrParam(s:"Going to activate script 20, PlayerTID is ", i:PlayerTID));

6 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

DebugLog(StrParam(s:"Going to activate script 20, PlayerTID is ", i:PlayerTID));

just tried to open the wad file in ultimate doom builder v.3.0.0.3844 (a0971e0) and no matter if I use the debug pk3 or the regular pk3 I get compile errors when trying to compile the maps own script (with or without changes to the script)

nice touch on the sectors that looks like a head and a very creative "map number" :-)

mapscript.png.326320e7ae89511b3baa1300478350d8.png

That's because you need to modify your zspecial.acs and zdefs.acs include files.  K8Vavoom has new ACS functions that GZDoom doesn't have.  You won't be able to compile it unless you update those files (they're in your UDB install folder somewhere).  Information about that is here: https://ketmar.no-ip.org/fossil/k8vavoom/index.cgi/file?name=specs/3dpobj/k8vavoom_3dpobj.html&ci=tip

Those functions are for the 3d polyobjects, btw.  Like the moving crate.

The map is definitely not GZDoom compatible :-P

22 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

That's because you need to modify your zspecial.acs and zdefs.acs include files.  K8Vavoom has new ACS functions that GZDoom doesn't have.  You won't be able to compile it unless you update those files (they're in your UDB install folder somewhere).  Information about that is here: https://ketmar.no-ip.org/fossil/k8vavoom/index.cgi/file?name=specs/3dpobj/k8vavoom_3dpobj.html&ci=tip

Those functions are for the 3d polyobjects, btw.  Like the moving crate.

The map is definitely not GZDoom compatible :-P

I have them in ultimate-doom-builder/compilers and then the subfolders Zandronum, ZDaemon and ZDoom 

I suspect its the ones in the ZDoom subfolder I need to change... do you know where I can get the versions that works with k8vavoom?

and is k8vavoom support on the horizon for ultimate doom builder at some point?

EDIT

nevermind

I found the stuff I needed to paste into the files and I can now compile the map script

Edited by CBM

3 minutes ago, CBM said:

I have them in ultimate-doom-builder/compilers and then the subfolders Zandronum, ZDaemon and ZDoom 

I suspect its the ones in the ZDoom subfolder I need to change... do you know where I can get the versions that works with k8vavoom?

and is k8vavoom support on the horizon for ultimate doom builder at some point?

It isn't a separate version of the compiler, it's just a modified .acs source file.  They're just text files that you copy-and-paste new stuff into.  Those are in ultimate-doom-builder/compilers/ZDoom/.  The same compiler will still work.

I have no idea when, or if, UDB will support K8 ^_^;  What I did is I just made my own .cfg file for it that has some of the new Thing types and Linedef flags.

25 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

It isn't a separate version of the compiler, it's just a modified .acs source file.  They're just text files that you copy-and-paste new stuff into.  Those are in ultimate-doom-builder/compilers/ZDoom/.  The same compiler will still work.

I have no idea when, or if, UDB will support K8 ^_^;  What I did is I just made my own .cfg file for it that has some of the new Thing types and Linedef flags.

I read the doc and made the same additions to the files in the ZDoom subfolder and it allowed me to compile, I did save a copy of the original files though.. just in case

btw I think I thought there were different amounts of monsters because the way I play a map with and without god mode is very different so when not in god mode I am very sneaky thus it makes it seem to me that there were less monsters while the monster count has in fact always been constant

anyway... I compiled the map with this change to script 20

int tempInt = 0;

// Teleporter to hell
script 20 (void) {

tempInt = ActivatorTID();

DebugLog(StrParam(s:"Going to activate script 20, ActivatorTID is ", i:tempInt));

DebugLog(StrParam(s:"Inside script 20, TIDS MATCH! PlayerTID is ", i:PlayerTID));
    }

DebugLog(StrParam(s:"Activated script 20, ActivatorTID is ", i:tempInt));
DebugLog(StrParam(s:"Activated script 20, PlayerTID is ", i:PlayerTID));

}

I wasnt sure if I were allowed to print out activatorTID directly...

and yes its not pretty and yes I shouldve called it TempInt or something... but its debug afterall

I loaded the save that couldnt use the teleporter... but... the script never fired... so your assumption was correct

btw I think its always a great idea to always assign a unique thing ID to the player(s) nomatter what

and your pk3 has lots of cool stuff that I can learn from! :-)

Edited by CBM

Thank you so much for testing that! I really appreciate that. We'll have to see if Ketmar has an idea at this point :-/ Someone on my Discord server who uses Windows managed to get to the end of the level. There's a teleporter back to the start there (in case the player wanted to go back for whatever reason), but after they took it, all the teleporters stopped working.  So it seems intermittent.  I'll keep thinking of ideas in the meantime.

Awesome map. Love the way difficulty is implemented. Played on bikini

(I am posting this now before my videos are processed to say I got to the end in Windows on bikini difficulty)

The red key hunt I was completely clueless. I popped it open in doom builder and saw where the red key was, so I went back in and shot around the door randomly with the SSG (between recordings) which is how i found those triggers.

Between 1st and 2nd vid was when I messed with some stuff to try and resolve the choppiness. I went into NVidia control panel to hard-set No to V-Sync and also to ensure it was using my graphics card (k8 uses openGL right? edit: reading k8 thread it seems yes it uses vavoom gl renderer). That helped a little i think? but not sure

Spoiler

Edited by DuckReconMajor

Oh hey Remi. Nice map, I liked seeing screenshots of it in your Discord server. Good job, my vampire lady ;)