• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rockyandyipper

Which console Doom port is the best?

A doom console port poll  

24 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which of these are the best? (in your opinion)

• Doom 32x
    • Doom SNES
    • Doom Jaguar
    • Doom PS1
    • Doom GBA
    • Other (3DO, Saturn, Xbox 360, etc)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/21 at 11:57 PM

The choices are 32x, SNES, PS1, GBA, Atari Jaguar, or other (be it 3DO, Saturn, Xbox 360, etc)

My personal favorite is SNES Doom, just because it is a huge technical feat, even though it plays like garbage. Also the music is great imo.

I will always defend the honor of the bfg/xbla ports, the ports had issues but from a console port perspective, until unity (Doesn't count) it was the best preforming port by far and didn't cause any errors with cheat codes (Unlike the og xbox version).

12 minutes ago, Alfonso said:

Doom for Web TV

Actually, on second thought, Doom on a calculator powered by potatoes MIGHT be better than the snes version imo.

I mean, if we're going by "best compared to the PC version," you literally can't beat the 360 port. It's virtually perfect.

That said, it also came out over a decade later.

If we're going by contemporary ports while the Doom engine was still commercially relevant, you can't do better than the PS1 version. It mixed the old with some very devilish new.

(Note that Doom 64, while a very fine game, does not count as a port, as all the maps are new and so on.)

Without a doubt PS1 Doom
Has a completely different vibe when compared to the PC version

Although, it's lacking in the music and look sensitivity options, I still think the xbla ports have the best control scheme with left trigger modifying your run and look sensitivity on the fly.

14 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I mean, if we're going by "best compared to the PC version," you literally can't beat the 360 port. It's virtually perfect.

That said, it also came out over a decade later.

If we're going by contemporary ports while the Doom engine was still commercially relevant, you can't do better than the PS1 version. It mixed the old with some very devilish new.

(Note that Doom 64, while a very fine game, does not count as a port, as all the maps are new and so on.)

This is similar to the criteria I go off of, which if going off of of contemporary ports I would consider the Playstation port the "best." It's difficult to consider ports such as the BFG Editions due to them coming out so far later from the original game's release.

I would also consider contemporary ports more prominent as a noteworthy anecdote is for many individuals during that time console ports were possibly their first experience with Doom. Computers still weren't as ubiquitous in family's homes in the mid 1990s as they are/were now.