Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

Doom RPG Port Reverse Engineering Update (version 0.2.2) Source Code Release

Awesome work! In my game, when I purchase accuracy upgrades they don't show up in stats. The other three attributes work. Uploaded what I assume are the save files.

doom rpg save.rar

idk why the tone of the post in spanish gave me 'taringa' flashbacks xD haha.. nevermind

Jokes aside, great job! I have the old jar lying around somewhere and my only chance till now was an emulator (I think retroarch had something for running those but maybe I'm wrong)

On 6/28/2022 at 11:11 PM, Erick194 said:

You need to get the original files to be converted into a friendly format for the port, you can get them from Archive.org, you can search 
"Doom RPG BREW" on SOFTWARE menu.

Run the BarToZip program to convert the file doomrpg.bar into a DoomRPG.zip, then you run the DoomRPG.exe

I tried searching, but the download I found (https://archive.org/details/doomrpg_brew) was a .zip, and an anemic 571 kB one at that. I couldn't find the bar. Am I doing something really stupid?

On 7/1/2022 at 7:00 PM, hurleybird said:

Awesome work! In my game, when I purchase accuracy upgrades they don't show up in stats. The other three attributes work. Uploaded what I assume are the save files.

doom rpg save.rar

You can work around this by manually incrementing the stats in the save file.

Open Player2 file in a hex editor, go to address 0x00000023 and change the number to the value it should be (keeping in mind it is hex, not decimal). You'll need to do this every time you get the accuracy upgrade at the store.

8 hours ago, Lollie said:

Open the zip file!

omygod im an idiot. I never even looked at the .bar because it had the default icon. Thank you!!

A big win for game preservation and the Doom community, hell yeah. Thank you for your work! I just hope we'll get the same treatment for the sequel.

Game was so good I created my account to make a thank you post!

I ran through it on-and-off over two days and had a blast. Didn't encounter any crashes and was able to complete the game (and even get the Super Secret Room) with no issues. I had read about this previously and had wanted to play it and what a neat thing to be able to.

I appreciate you preserving this gem for mine and everyone else's enjoyment!

Reporting back after trying it out.

Played for a while - and very, very impressed. Works very nice, save/load options work like a charm, no glitches/issues whatsoever, runs buttery smooth. The ability to set higher resolution is nice as well as a couple of other convenient options, too, and it looks absolutely lovely (meaning, pixelated and faithful) in fullscreen on a 4k monitor. Amazing port, I'd recommend it to everyone who's nostalgic about this old game for outdated phones.

Just for a note: unlike DRRP Project that's been in development for a few years now, this one is a proper, faithful port. I like that. While DRRP is trying to reimagine Doom RPG into something different and more modern on GZDoom (which might not be appealing to everyone), this port is aimed at those players who seek specifically vanilla Doom RPG. 

Well done and thank you so much! So happy this project exists :)

On 6/28/2022 at 10:11 PM, Erick194 said:

As we promised, the Doom RPG port for PC is finally here. created using SDL2 and BREW version doomrpg.mod original file reverse 
engineering.

This is my first port made for PC and I hope this works for you too. 

Special thanks goes to @Anarkavre as thanks to him we got the original Brew game files.

You need to get the original files to be converted into a friendly format for the port, you can get them from Archive.org, you can search 
"Doom RPG BREW" on SOFTWARE menu.

Run the BarToZip program to convert the file doomrpg.bar into a DoomRPG.zip, then you run the DoomRPG.exe

Hope you enjoy it, best regards.

Español

Como lo prometimos el port de Doom RPG para pc esta aquí, este port está creado con SDL2 y se utilizó ingenieria inversa del
archivo doomrpg.mod del juego original de la version BREW.

Este es mi primer port que he creado para pc, espero que sea funcional para ustedes también.

Agradecimientos especiales a Anarkavre ya que gracias a el obtuvimos los archivos originales del juego de la version BREW.

Es necesario tener los archivos originales para ser convertidos en un formato más amigable para el port, puedes consegir los 
archivos alojados en Archive.org, lo pueden buscar en el apartado de SOFTWARE con el nombre de "Doom RPG BREW"

Ejecutan el programa BarToZip para convertir el archivo doomrpg.bar a DoomRPG.zip, luego ejecutan el port DoomRPG.exe

Espero que lo disfruten, saludos.

DoomRPG_Port.zip

image.png.377a562edf9f3e32b1c3a3deed541378.pngimage.png.a5381aa95ccc874c15106d8ba7157cab.pngimage.png.5690df6ab42017c72c58a11ff06647f8.png

Please man, do the same for DOOM 2 RPG. That´s my favorite :(

@Erick194 Thanks for this! However, I can't find the source code of this port.

Looking at the libs, it sems that this could be easily built for Raspberry Pi + SDL2, where KMS/DRM is available and the game would run directly on the TTY.

So, where are the sources, please?

@Erick194

I've run into a funny bug while showing this port to a friend: During the intro, every time "Continue" is pressed, the text starts over from the beginning. These are the first, second, and fourth screens. (the third screen is the Mars landing animation, which plays normally.)

DoomRPG_20220706_00-24-09-873.png.70938e8bf2c91fbb73452810b1b698ff.png20220706_00-24-17-811.png.43eea8db3b755bba3e6dbab1ef872828.png20220706_00-24-36-003.png.105c0fee8e77808fbdfd58910cf88433.png

I'm not sure if I simply missed this when I first played, or if it's always been like this for me, but it acts like this consistently now.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:23 AM, BigBoyMalone said:

I need some help, when I run BarToZip it just tells me it can't open Doomrpg.bar, anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?

I had a similar issue where it ran, but didn't give me the zip when it was done. I fixed it by adding an exception for the folder in my anti-virus, so maybe that'll work for you too if you haven't found a solution yet. 

Hey everyone, check the OP now for the DoomRPG v0.2 update! :) Thanks for letting me know about some bugs from the game. I've been reading several pósts hereand this is very probably that the other id's RPG games will be done as well and published when ready, all in its due time. The game will not be available in other platforms yet as I'm not familiarized in programming for other platforms yet. 

2 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Hey everyone, check the OP now for the DoomRPG v0.2 update! :) Thanks for letting me know about some bugs from the game. I've been reading several pósts hereand this is very probably that the other id's RPG games will be done as well and published when ready, all in its due time. The game will not be available in other platforms yet as I'm not familiarized in programming for other platforms yet. 

I downloaded the new v0.2, but my issue persist.

I leave the save game for you to check out. Thanks.

DoomRPG.7z

On 6/30/2022 at 11:23 PM, Eussora said:

Unfortunately, after finishing the first level, getting into the different keycard zones, finishing the first sector in yellow zone and about to start the second sector of it, the game crashes. And, since it has already been saved, I can't do anything but start a new game.

I don't know if this issue will repeat in my new run, but I thought it was important to let you know.

Have you tried a different settings combination (resolution, sound etc.)? Save before that problematic spot, store a copy of that save, and try meshing the settings to see if it will work.

9 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Hi! You don't need to program for other platform, you just need to release the source code, and people will work it out so it works on GNU/Linux, Android, etc

Hola! No necesitas programar para otras plataformas. El juego está hecho para las SDL2, así que en cuanto publiques el código podremos compilarlo para otras plataformas como GNU/Linux, Android, etc... No tienes que hacer nada especial. Es la ventaja de que hayas usado SDL2.

11 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Have you tried a different settings combination (resolution, sound etc.)? Save before that problematic spot, store a copy of that save, and try meshing the settings to see if it will work.

Hello :)

Yes, I tried changing some settings (not that there's much to change), but the problem persist.

If someone can get it through the save file somehow, would be nice.

@Eussora It looks like a very weird error but I would like you can let me know what happens exactly (if that happens after you press OK at the stats scren after finishing Sector 1, or after Sector 1 you move to Sector 2 from Juntion map and it crash there when you open the door). The problem here is in the World file that contains the data of Juntion and not those of Sector 2, try to run the program as administrator because it seems it is not writting the Sector 2 data in the World file. Also try to see if that happens with the other maps from the game, you can press ESC 3666 in your keyboard to open the Cheat Menu, select cheats > change map

In the zipfile at the archive there is an update as well - should you run the update patch?  I didn't and it seems to be working fine with version .2

Edited by TheRealAnubis

18 hours ago, Erick194 said:

@Eussora It looks like a very weird error but I would like you can let me know what happens exactly (if that happens after you press OK at the stats scren after finishing Sector 1, or after Sector 1 you move to Sector 2 from Juntion map and it crash there when you open the door). The problem here is in the World file that contains the data of Juntion and not those of Sector 2, try to run the program as administrator because it seems it is not writting the Sector 2 data in the World file. Also try to see if that happens with the other maps from the game, you can press ESC 3666 in your keyboard to open the Cheat Menu, select cheats > change map

Well, when I load my saved game, the game immediately crashes, so I couldn't tell you exactly where I left because I don't remember right now when nor where I saved the last time. Also, I always run the game as admin, so the writing part shouldn't be the issue (at least not because of the admin permission).

However, I tried the cheat menu (very useful tool btw), and I tried selecting Junction, Sector 1 and Sector 2. The cheat works well, and I am able to load the three levels, but a couple of times, when I loaded Junction and then Sector 1, the game crashes. Others, when I load Sector 2 and then Sector 1, the game crashes. Basically, all the levels are loading when I select them from the cheat menu, but is only Sector 1 that sometimes, in one way or another, makes the game crash (a couple of times the game didn't crash when I first selected Sector 1).

Unfortunately, the cheat menu doesn't help me to continue my save game in some way because, for some reason, I can't talk with anyone after this, so if I need some clue, item or something, I'm kinda stuck. The only thing left is to start the game again.

@Erick194, whatever other thing you need for me to check, just let me know through here or dm :)

On 7/5/2022 at 2:18 PM, daemonspudguy said:

Will the source be released? I'd love to see this be ported to Android. It would really be fitting.

You can play it on Android now using J2ME loader - I've gotten all of the Id stuff working on this.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:42 AM, TheRealAnubis said:

You can play it on Android now using J2ME loader - I've gotten all of the Id stuff working on this.

Granted, that's the lower quality version which misses such things as floor and ceiling textures, animated wall textures, and digital sound effects.

7 hours ago, Quasar said:

Granted, that's the lower quality version which misses such things as floor and ceiling textures, animated wall textures, and digital sound effects.

Well now I wish you wouldn't have told me that!  Now I'll have to fuss around and try to find the better ones!!

Muy buen port la verdad que juegazo, nos gustaria a todos los usuarios si cabe la posibilidad de poder tener mas port de Doom RPG 2, Orcs & Elves 1 y 2, tambien una pregunta el Doom Rpg tiene traduccion al español yo recuerdo de que si pero no se donde lo descargue ?