Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

How Do I Contact The Moderator?

A data breach happened, and I need to delete my account with my email and password.There's no moderator option in the settings. Quick! How do I contact the moderator?

Deleting your account isn't going to make leaked info disappear, if it even exists on doomworld.

20 minutes ago, Rykz said:

Search the Community
Searched for 'l' in Members
Groups: Administrators, Super Moderators

Actually, if it already leaked, there's no way to delete the leaked info.

I wish I never made an account here. And no, this is not s***posting. I'm scared. This is my info that's on the line, and the mods don't understand that. They think I'm trolling when I'm not. It really isn't fair. Instead of talking this out in private messages, they give me warnings for nothing. I apologize for what I've done, but it has to stop.

Edited by A Nobody

5 minutes ago, A Nobody said:

I wish I never made an account here. And no, this is not s***posting. I'm scared. This is my info that's on the line, and the mods don't understand that.

Don't blame the mods with not understanding especially when you make little effort to establish your issue beyond ''plz help me quick''

You say a data breach happened. So i reckon you looked that up here.

For an up to date directory, here is the staff: Staff Directory.

Other than that, chill.

5 minutes ago, A Nobody said:

They think I'm trolling when I'm not. It really isn't fair.

If that's the case its going on for years, so..

55 minutes ago, A Nobody said:

They think I'm trolling when I'm not.

I know the feeling. Some people around here really act like they own the place, even though they are not mods themselves. When I see someone make a post or a thread that strikes me as pointless but is not offensive, I usually ignore it, which is made incredibly easy thanks to the Ignore function. I wish everyone would do just that rather than getting all worked up over it and inferring nasty things about complete strangers.

However, the data breach is most likely completely unrelated and it does not look like you need to worry about it. As the others have pointed out, you can always change your password just to be on the safe side, but it is not like your Doomworld account contains any sensitive information.

Edited by Rudolph

17 hours ago, A Nobody said:

No, it is a big deal. A data breach that leaks emails, ips, info...

1.-) Just change your email password.
2.-) Are you really worried because they know your IP? seriously, this is not 2009...
3.-) Did you put some personal info besides your birth name o something? Again, not a big deal if you don't put something really important (Like your credit card or social security number idk).

15 hours ago, A Nobody said:

I wish I never made an account here. And no, this is not s***posting. I'm scared. This is my info that's on the line, and the mods don't understand that. They think I'm trolling when I'm not. It really isn't fair. Instead of talking this out in private messages, they give me warnings for nothing. I apologize for what I've done, but it has to stop.

Man, this is not like the first time this happens on a website, let's remember what happened with Facebook and Cambridge Analytica (far worse than Doomworld because it was big Social Media with a lot of personal info and even than this forum). And if your are worried about that, keep in mind that big internet companys (cof cof Google cof cof) have and can use your personal info as they want (as stated on the terms and conditions who nobody sees). Some even can sell your data to the best buyer. So yeah, Doomworld is minor of your problems.

I don't wan't to scare you, but thats the reality of the situation. :/

Oh gee, someone might find out that this IP/e-mail address is used for posting on a videogame forum, whatever will I do?

Reiterating what Psych said, assuming they got any details, unless you've intentionally shared some incredibly sensitive info on your own for some reason, like confessing to a serious crime or inexplicably sharing credit card information, I'm uncertain of what someone is supposed to actually do with it.

Assuming all they have is the IPs you've posted from on DoomWorld, and maybe an e-mail address, that isn't actually much to use against you, assuming you're even someone's target. I get being concerned about private and identifying information, but DoomWorld isn't a bank.

3 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

Your password is encrypted so they have no access to that information no matter what.

TO be entirely fair, "no matter what" is a bit of an exaggeration. Salted and hashed passwords are still vulnerable to many sorts of attacks, such as brute force attacks, and other methods of attacking encryption mechanisms.

That said, yes, this leak is most likely inconsequential and we don't need to worry.

The concern only exists for those who use shared passwords. Like myself...

57 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Oh gee, someone might find out that this IP/e-mail address is used for posting on a videogame forum, whatever will I do?

Don't forget, this is the EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS assigned to the WAN side of your router by your ISP. Unless you have explicitly paid for a static IP, or indeed OWN an IP address range, it will be DHCP anyway - probably remain the same for several days/weeks, but will certainly rotate over time.

If you are worried about geolocation, don't be - it's unreliable at best. My AV software keeps trying to get me to buy VPN by saying my location is exposed - to a city several hundred miles away from where I actually live... And of course it is getting this from the external IP address currently assigned to my router.

4 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Don't forget, this is the EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS assigned to the WAN side of your router by your ISP. Unless you have explicitly paid for a static IP, or indeed OWN an IP address range, it will be DHCP anyway - probably remain the same for several days/weeks, but will certainly rotate over time.

DHCP applies to local addresses, not external addresses, you goof.

That said, IP addresses by themselves are harmless information, assuming one uses firewalls and does not have any servers with exploitable vulnerabilities (such as 0-days) exposed to the network (which includes port forwards so even if you're not firewalled those exploits might be inaccessible).

So just keep your software up to date, and keep your firewall and port-forward rules clean.

Its really not.

https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb/isa500_emulator/help/guide/ad1992792.html

https://superuser.com/questions/1015549/how-to-get-my-router-ip-address-assigned-by-isp-via-dhcp

An IP address is dynamically assigned to the WAN side of the router. There are just not enough IP addresses for all to be static. 

As I said, you can buy a static external IP address, but usually your router gets whatever is assigned by your ISP, and that is not static.

Indeed you can of course (and is usually the case) use DHCP internally as well.

The address assigned to the WAN side of the router is not the external IP address. Not in IPv4 — ISPs have to use something known as a CGNAT. So a lot of customers are umbrella'd within the same external IP. That said, not all IPv4 ISPs are CGNAT-ted. Mine is, I'm an unlucky bastard. I can't port forward!

I think you're just misinterpreting what I wrote @smeghammer. Unless what you mean is that the outer NAT / CGNAT also uses DHCP internally? And, I guess they do?

Yes I was aware of the CGNAT thing (though was not aware of what it was called - thank you) to help mitigate the lack of sufficient IPv4 addresses - and surely, that will make it harder to geolocate anyway?

As an aside, 'whats my IP' showed a v6 address for the first time ever!