Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doctor_Spengler

Doom Slayer in Fortnite

Cool, I guess, though, I wish they went with the more classic looking Doomguy armor. Now they should add Duke Nukem, but NOT the DNF model. Then we’d have the perfect team up and also the perfect rivalry. 

And i get this feeling this thread is going to get closed off because some people here are trying to start a flame war with other people. Unless your Arch-Vile that can roast us like the doom guy, just stop.

Making smart ass comments isn't going to help the fact that we can voice our options on something, it's not like 1984 where if we speak out on something the though police are going to break our doors down, take away to the [can't remember the building] and throw us in room 101 and re program our minds.

This is why we can never have nice things.

I'm new to the Doom community as a whole. Doom 2016 brought me here cuz I wanted to know more about Doom. And now I cant stop playing or watching, haha. The Doom community is awesome. My point being, anything that can introduce Doom to future generations is always a good thing. IMHO. 

Edited by alopecia_assassin : dummy

I've never been into Fortnite, or battle royale games in general, but Fortnite is a pop culture icon whether we want to admit it or not. I'm very happy to see things like Doomguy or El Chapulin Colorado, or gyro aiming make an appearance. It's more exposure for those things, and I think that's a very good thing.

Just now, Agent Slacker said:

El Chapulin Colorado

Intenso pensar que Epic le dio mejor uso a los personajes de Chespirito que la propia familia.

Chapulin en Fornite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFT del Chavo.

On 12/4/2022 at 3:38 PM, Metal_Slayer said:

With Doom I think it would be a similar situation, their target audience wouldn't play an old game with no online multiplayer or a game that costs more than 10 dollars (Doom Eternal).

Fair point, but you’d never actually truly know. Maybe or maybe not there will be some cases where seeing the funny doomguy skin will pique the interest of some fortnite players and give Doom Eternal a shot. Sounds like wishful thinking on my part, but who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, alopecia_assassin said:

I'm new to the Doom community as a whole. Doom 2016 brought me here cuz I wanted to know more about Doom. And now I cant stop playing or watching, haha. The Doom community is awesome. My point being, anything that can introduce Doom to future generations is always a good thing. IMHO. 

Funny you said this, my little brother just sent me a screenshot of his little brother asking if he'd ever played Doom because the littler one never has. Fortnite is a huge marketing opportunity to get younger kids the chance to learn about franchises and Doom is no different. 

13 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Fortnite is a huge marketing opportunity to get younger kids the chance to learn about franchises and Doom is no different. 

NEWSFLASH: Epic getting sued for showing a ultra-violent weirdo and sex maniac albino to the kids.

genuienly feel like anyone upset by this is very very very terminally online, it's just a game at the end of the day

On 12/5/2022 at 7:58 PM, Herr Dethnout said:

Intenso pensar que Epic le dio mejor uso a los personajes de Chespirito que la propia familia.

Chapulin en Fornite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFT del Chavo.

I instantly copped Chapulin

I'm surprised they didn't go with BFG Division. I bet they would have used They Only Thing They Fear is You, but with that ongoing legal battle between Mick Gordon and id Software, that probably wasn't going to happen.

Personally I would have liked that 8bit E1M1 music that plays every time you bust out the little Doom Slayer figure, but oh well.

On 12/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

People like Quasar are just joking around my man, leave 'em be. No point getting more upset than the people you're criticizing for supposedly being upset. That out of left field SJW jab is honestly what I'd expect to find on reddit more than anything anyone here has posted. It's a post related to Fortnite, people are going to make fun of it. Such is modern life on the internet.

Personally, I think the whole Fortnite thing is an incomprehensible mess, with Doomslayers and unicorns dancing to Travis Scott and whatnot. But the game itself was fun enough when I played it. I think the random mashup of different franchises lacks any kind of cohesion whatsoever, and is slightly horrifying, but at least there's effort put into the individual assets that are added.

The game's been problematic in a lot of ways - kids bullying each other was just one I decided to pick on in particular because the idea is atrocious. There's the whole helping to further normalize microtransactions, FOMO-based season/battle pass limited-time shit, "login bonuses" pushing the "engagement metric", etc., which I cannot stand and absolutely will not buy into - I do not and will not own any games that contain microtransactions (so long as you don't count Doom Eternal; thanks, Bethesda, for adding that cosmetic pack bullshit post-launch when it was too late to refund).

Then there's "borrowing" cultural landmarks from starving artists and particularly PoC without so much as any credit given, leading its userbase to call things that existed before Fortnite was a malevolent twinkle in Tim Sweeny's left eye "Fortnite dances" and believe they were invented for the game. I think a whole lot of the players have no interests that go beyond "haha, thing in Fortnite!" and that any hopes that it will increase exposure for those other series in any significant way are false.

Then there's the whole lack of originality in the entire concept to begin with. Just another entry in the "battle royale" craze, riding on the coattails of PUBG, with the luck and the funding and the constant stream of vapid memes behind it needed to rise to the top like so much pond scum. That whole wave has contributed to the death of ordinary multiplayer; everything's gotta have the battle royale mode now. What I see here is Doomguy just being reduced to another of those memes to get more precious engagement, and I feel like it's just cheapening to the Doom franchise at best. What will Doomguy be put into? Clearly, anything that makes Bethesda some more cash. It's nothing that I as a Doom fan should get excited about; any special element of "Doomguy crossover" is gone now, going forward, because he's going to be in everything.

I have no doubt the game can be a fun diversion (they count on it being an addictive gameloop to make money) and I have little to say about its gameplay itself; I just choose not to ignore all these issues surrounding it.

You are right that I'm not upset, though - more like, scoffing from my high tower, I guess. Maybe that's still reprehensible and I should be ashamed for delighting in it instead of just ignoring the whole thing, but it's definitely not the same.

However, that somebody's best defense is to start hurling unfounded, bizarre, non-sequitur insults that couldn't be further off-target than if they shot for the moon and hit Venus is absolutely hilarious and definitely does nothing to dissuade my negative opinions.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:46 AM, Peter said:

🎶 Fortnite Battlepass! 🎶

🎶 I just shit, out my ass! 🎶

🎶 Booted up my PC! 🎶

🎶 'Cause I need need 🎶

🎶 To get that Fortnite Battlepass! 🎶

That's beautiful. Especially that 2nd line. Now I think it's good that 7 year olds are getting cultured. The only negative effect is "Hey, It's that guy from fortnite!"