Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iddq_tea

DoomGPT: An AI-directed Doom II mapping project (v1.2)

1 hour ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

Wouldn't be viable as the AI continuation of the song would be a regular music file, requiring manual sequencing to MIDI, and this sounds like a hell of a lot of work. If someone is dedicated enough to be willing to undertake that, then I can generate the music for them, otherwise I'm not going to.

You're thinking of Jukebox, there's an earlier AI model that was basically the same thing but for MIDIs. Jukebox was the evolution of that.

ChatGPT has generated a decent layout and told me what weapons the player gathers so far, but I need to ask: should the visuals of the map stay consistent with the original map's (essentially, vanilla Doom II but with the layout described), or do we ask the bot to describe the visuals for us?

I've been using this a bit lately lol, this community project is right up my alley!

I'll take MAP07 please, I might gaslight the AI sometimes when it gets important details right(or like, are actually good choices) and say it isn't correct or something lol

Edited by LOD42

@spineapple tea Ask the bot, but if it doesn't clarify, you can improvise :)

@Engired @PRO-RC @Spectere @noisebloom @LOD42 You've all been added!

@LOD42 Don't do that, the entire point of the project is to do exactly as the AI says, regardless of how accurate or inaccurate it is. Don't try to manipulate the outcome unless you absolutely have to (like if the AI isn't cooperating).

10 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

@LOD42 Don't do that, the entire point of the project is to do exactly as the AI says, regardless of how accurate or inaccurate it is. Don't try to manipulate the outcome unless you absolutely have to (like if the AI isn't cooperating).

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Alright, I'll keep this in mind when doing the prompts.
Man, I already made most of the map I've been working on, but I indeed manipulate the AI heavily while making it, so I'll probably reuse it somewhere else.
I apologize for the misunderstanding lol

Edited by LOD42

@LOD42 You made one in 3 hours? Damn.. that's speed! You can post it anyway, it might make it to a rejects wad if we have enough maps left over when the project is done, but that's up to you!

@iddq_tea That reminds me actually, how do I handle gimmicky maps with the AI? Do I just do whatever the AI says and forget about the gimmick, or?

Edited by LOD42

@LOD42 The AI will add its own gimmics. The end result might not even resemble the original map anymore, but that's kinda the whole point, see how the AI describes Doom II.

I really regret not signing up when I made it to the login screen the other day... It's been at capacity all morning.

EDIT: Scratch that - finally got in!

Edited by noisebloom

I "chatted" a bit before seeing your prompt ideas and had a really tough time getting anything usable. It wanted to make stealth missions and dart traps. Also, it kinda dumped wiki entries at me.

I will try again with your tips.

I won't be able to access the chatbot, unfortunately.

If someone could generate a MAP04 description for me that would be swell.

This is pretty hilarious so far:

Spoiler

ChatGPT:

Green Key Room: Located to the east, this room contains the green keycard needed to access the next section of the map. There are several monsters to defeat and a door to the secret area.

Yellow Key Room: Located to the west, this room contains the yellow keycard needed to access the final section of the map. There are several monsters to defeat and a lift that leads to a secret area.

Me: I think there's an issue with your response. There is no "green key" in Doom 2.

ChatGPT: I apologize for the mistake. There is no green key in Doom 2, Map 11: "Circle of Death". Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Me: What color key is it instead?

ChatGPT: In Doom 2, Map 11: "Circle of Death", the key required to access the next section of the map is the blue keycard.

Asking the bot if there's any secrets in the map is pretty funny. If you ask where they are, the bot will refuse to tell you because they're secret. Asking where the bot would hide secrets if they made the map (funny because, well it did) gives you a list with the first one being behind fake walls, meaning the bot is a big fan of TNT.

I do not mean to derail this thread, but... how the hell is that possible? How is a bot able to do that? :o

Who is teaching it to know how to describe freaking Doom levels?!?

45 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I do not mean to derail this thread, but... how the hell is that possible? How is a bot able to do that? :o

Who is teaching it to know how to describe freaking Doom levels?!?

Its study material was the entire internet in 2021, which included doomwiki entries and a whole lot of walkthrough, game tips, and level description websites.