Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonikkumania

Why is Sir Robin's Castle on Doomworld?

I'm pretty sure Doomworld used to host the pages of individuals in that fashion.  I'm unsure if that service has actually been discontinued for new users or if it's just that there are better options these days so nobody bothers.

So the answer, if I'm right, would be yes in a sense.  He has it because he was an "OG Doomer", but not because of some special honor, rather just because he was around during the era in question.

8 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

I'm pretty sure Doomworld used to host the pages of individuals in that fashion.  I'm unsure if that service has actually been discontinued for new users or if it's just that there are better options these days so nobody bothers.

So the answer, if I'm right, would be yes in a sense.  He has it because he was an "OG Doomer", but not because of some special honor, rather just because he was around during the era in question.

Well the layout definately looks like it was made by him. And based on his "CV" he was part of TeamTNT, so...

6 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

I'm pretty sure Doomworld used to host the pages of individuals in that fashion.

Correct. Several others still exist in some fashion I believe, they are just not linked directly from anywhere obvious.

Many of us had websites that were hosted by one of the big sites because they offered a good amount of webspace for free and gave us more exposure. There were sites like Doomnation, Newdoom and Doomcenter. Webhotels weren’t exactly cheap back then as I remember. There were also free sites like Geocities. But then you had to put up with adds and very limited space.

Doomworld used to host peep's personal pages. When Doomworld moved away from Telefragged the new setup didn't allow for this unless given access to the whole of Doomworld itself - obviously a no-go. These sites, including mine, remain mostly for 'historic purposes' or pure laziness.

Sir Robin's Doom Castle and Bob Larkin's Doom Wad Station are so nostalgic for me, played so many levels and discovered so many TCs thanks to these two. I actually sent Sir Robin an email back in the day in 2001 just to compliment the webpage and we had a brief exchange, he was; adlibing here, "happy to see that there's still young Doomers, as the scene mostly comprises of old farts ;)"

Well it's come full circle cause now I'm becoming one of them! half-life scientist scream

13 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Sir Robin's Doom Castle and Bob Larkin's Doom Wad Station are so nostalgic for me, played so many levels and discovered so many TCs thanks to these two. I actually sent Sir Robin an email back in the day in 2001 just to compliment the webpage and we had a brief exchange, he was; adlibing here, "happy to see that there's still young Doomers, as the scene mostly comprises of old farts ;)"

Well it's come full circle cause now I'm becoming one of them! half-life scientist scream

Uhuuh. Given that Robin was born in 1979, he was already like 22 years old at them time you mailed him.

Shame that his enthusiasm towards Doom and Quake ended up in the early 2000's but life throws us around.

I remember also being in touch with him in late 90's to early 00's, during the development of Doom Millennium and before that. We both being finnish. I think I asked him to review some of my maps back in the day.

36 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

I remember also being in touch with him in late 90's to early 00's, during the development of Doom Millennium and before that. We both being finnish. I think I asked him to review some of my maps back in the day.

Where are you from?

Mistä kaupungista olet kotoisin?

On 11/24/2023 at 5:22 AM, Sonikkumania said:

Shame that his enthusiasm towards Doom and Quake ended up in the early 2000's but life throws us around.

I was kinda mislead that the Doom and Quake scenes were drying up by the turn of the millenium and stuff because the TEAMShambler reviews page for Quake stopped being updated in I think 2003, and Sir Robin's site wasn't being updated anymore, and my interests were shifting to other games at the time too so. Glad this was never actually the case.

I've probably said this too many times but I'm immensely glad the naysayers were wrong. I was so worried when I started mapping and DMing in 2001, hearing people occasionally lament Doom being "on death's door".. Then it just kept not dying year after year, to the point where I found it hilarious when people would say it. I am sad the DM scene reduced to a shell of its former self, but classic Doom by and large has only gotten bigger over the last 20ish years!