Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kdoom

First map released in 18 years! KGZDoom1.

So awesome you finished this! I will get to as soon as I'm finished with my upcoming map. I'm hoping to

do release on Wednesday this week. Thanks for all the updates in the other thread about this; the

pictures have been just sick! Congrats!!!

Get it! It's good fun and those screenshots don't do it justice. Mr Kesler is back, kicking ass and taking names!

With permission from Kesler, I wanted to share a few screenshots from KGZDoom1 with you.

KGZdoom1.png

KGZdoom2.png

KGZdoom3.png

KGZdoom4.png

KGZdoom5.png

KGZdoom6.png

KGZdoom7.png

Welcome back Kurt!! I am a big fan of your old KZDoom WADs, formative stuff for me, really happy to see you back in action! Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to play this soon!

Found a bug...I'll be updating shortly. I'll remove the current file URL. Sorry for the error.

KZDoom is still a favorite series of mine, and I return to it every so often for inspiration when I need a refresher on what folks were doing with basic ZDoom functionality back in the '00s. Excited to see what you've got to offer us now, Kurt!

12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

KZDoom is still a favorite series of mine, and I return to it every so often for inspiration when I need a refresher on what folks were doing with basic ZDoom functionality back in the '00s. Excited to see what you've got to offer us now, Kurt!

Well, first version bug was because I changed a few things after I had people test for me....thats a no-no. Anyway, great to hear stuff like your comment. I hope this 2 maps lives up to what people expect from me. I'll stick around and make a few more maps! 

New version in OP. I hope this is final.

Dude thanks so much for making this. I had a blast playing it.  I got all the secrets in the first map but am missing 1 in the second.  Visually, stunning.  I can see you are an experienced mapper.  The flow of the maps were just amazing.  The valley in the first map gave me halo 1 vibes as soon as the door opened from the castle part. its so cool.  your outside areas are phenomenal.  I aspire to create maps like this. so great!

1 minute ago, shroomzy5000 said:

Dude thanks so much for making this. I had a blast playing it.  I got all the secrets in the first map but am missing 1 in the second.  Visually, stunning.  I can see you are an experienced mapper.  The flow of the maps were just amazing.  The valley in the first map gave me halo 1 vibes as soon as the door opened from the castle part. its so cool.  your outside areas are phenomenal.  I aspire to create maps like this. so great!

also as a follow up to this - i also just want to say your use of Poly objects is masterful.  As a new mapper and new to classic doom I played through on hmp but will 100% sit down to UV this

8 hours ago, shroomzy5000 said:

also as a follow up to this - i also just want to say your use of Poly objects is masterful.  As a new mapper and new to classic doom I played through on hmp but will 100% sit down to UV this

Thanks for the kind words, I'm happy you enjoyed it. My focus is always HMP, but uv does have a few surprises.

Very disappointed, really very disappointed...that we had to wait 18 years for this excellent map! ;)

The fights are intense, the atmosphere and level design impeccable and your mapping method is not a problem for me which alternates old/new Doom maps.

Hoping that you don't have to wait another 18 years for your next project!

4 minutes ago, Zoti said:

Very disappointed, really very disappointed...that we had to wait 18 years for this excellent map! ;)

The fights are intense, the atmosphere and level design impeccable and your mapping method is not a problem for me which alternates old/new Doom maps.

Hoping that you don't have to wait another 18 years for your next project!

Thank you, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. I'm already working on the next one, and I too hope it doesn't take 18 years!

22 hours ago, hatehatehatehate said:

A legend returns. Looking forward to diving into this.

Well, not sure if I agree about the legend part, but I would like to hear your thoughts on the maps!

19 minutes ago, kdoom said:

Well, not sure if I agree about the legend part, but I would like to hear your thoughts on the maps!

What is the lowest version of GzDoom that will load these maps?

I just get normal Entryway each time I attempt to run this.

http://chapsoftware.com/gzDoomInXP.htm

4 minutes ago, prfunky said:

What is the lowest version of GzDoom that will load these maps?

I just get normal Entryway each time I attempt to run this.

http://chapsoftware.com/gzDoomInXP.htm

Built and tested with 4.11.1. I'm not sure about older version compatibility.

I think the 4th secret in map02 should not exist. I must have added it by mistake....not sure how I did that, but it seems that way. Is there a method to find these? I tried the find/replace function, looking for sector flag 1024, but that doesn't seem to work.

9 hours ago, kdoom said:

I tried the find/replace function, looking for sector flag 1024, but that doesn't seem to work.

You have to search for secter effect 1024. Secret is not a flag for sectors.

2 hours ago, boris said:

You have to search for secter effect 1024. Secret is not a flag for sectors.

Thank you! Sadly, I found the missing secret. I put it there early in construction of the map. It's a bit embarrassing, but oh well!! No changes to the map. RC2  version is still the latest, unless I hear of another change and/or bug.

I know the ending to map02 is really unfair. I recommend a save at the door, and explore the rooms mechanics, then load that savegame and end it. 

The finale being really hard, especially on UV, but I think this version is ready to be called final. 

I'll wait a couple days, and upload if I don't hear of any bugs.

Here's a playthrough of both maps (will still take some time to be processed for HD):

It's pretty cool overall, but really hard. Mostly because of the amount of hitscanners and little health. Especially in MAP02, there are like 10 medikits and 4 stimpacks, but a fuckton of hitscanners all over the place.

Is there a reason the liquid flats are not scaled? It looks pretty weird.

Thanks for the playthrough Boris! It does seem a bit unfair at certain points. The finale of map02, there is a switch under the slime, that gives you a shot at the boss. I won't say anymore, but that's the only thing that seemed to stop you.

I'm going to adjust the health distribution a little bit, and consider this final.

I have to admit, I do not like the finale in map02. I'm revisiting these maps, adjusting a bit here and there, and will add a few special things for coop support.

I had to look for this map for a week I couldn't remember the damn name, it was beautiful and fun when I played it last time, saving it and keeping it.

6 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

I had to look for this map for a week I couldn't remember the damn name, it was beautiful and fun when I played it last time, saving it and keeping it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. After seeing a few people play through it, I'm fairly certain that map02 is just too unfair at the finale. I've already swapped that battle out with a better but still tough battle in the same area. I've done some small tweaks here and there, all over both maps. Also adding coop support. Hard telling how long it'll be until I'm happy with it. I suppose there's no harm in leaving this WIP version here until I release the final version.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've had some real life issues to deal with lately. My parents are both passed away now, and it's been tough to find motivation. Despite that, I'm still working on this monster, and I will finish it soon. 

1 hour ago, kdoom said:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've had some real life issues to deal with lately. My parents are both passed away now, and it's been tough to find motivation. Despite that, I'm still working on this monster, and I will finish it soon. 

My deepest condolences.