Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nathanB404

Best years of your life?

Only things that are going downhill are: Media (don't care that much)
The internet (care a little bit, but not limitless)

English language (at least from the USA)

First two are utterly nonessential and the more they push people away, the kind of better, and the third is extremely easy to fix on a personal level.

I shun most media and I have more offline hobbies and connections now than online ones, and my English is pretty decent and virtually cancer free, and those things are the biggest sources of grief for the majority of first world people.

I am nostalgic for some things, but I think I appreciate my growth more than any of that nostalgia stuff, since I can preserve it, since it was so media based, and now I don't feel like I need much of that at all. No problems.

18 hours ago, nathanB404 said:

Can you still have nostalgia as an adult? Or is this strictly only a childhood thing? 

Nostalgia isn't limited to any age, not sure why you'd think it might be?

I have often said the past should be remembered and treasured but never mourned. Forward's the only way. Nostalgia can be a double-edged sword. If you obsess about it too much, then you tend to spend too much time living in the past and not giving enough attention to the here and now, potentially squandering opportunities to find happiness. As you get older, there's a natural tendency to miss the golden days of your childhood where you had less things to be worried about. But for most of us, our parents shielded us from reality. The problems of life were always there, you simply didn't see them.

Honestly probably the last 5 or so, yeah there were painful moments the pandemic yadda yadda, but I think honestly I have evolved quite over that time and found more a sense of what I am doing with my life in terms of career and other interests. I feel more of a shift coming on again but that's probably inevitable.

This year has easily been the best for me, as of now. College and secondary school are like night and day, where having the privilege to hone in on music feels infinitely more gratifying than preparing for exams. The only thing I'd say I'm missing from having an ideal life is finding a partner - maybe in '24? :^)

Definitely 2010-2013. Where I experienced many amazing TV shows on Disney Channel and Cartoon Network like Regular Show, Phineas and Ferb, Mr. Bean, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Adventure Time, discovered the internet, its wonderful culture, and tons of fun Flash games and videos on YouTube.

Edited by Panzermann11

Just as a quick and admittedly vague way of answering the question: I strongly believe my best years are ahead of me. Without going into specific details, the mentality and outlook on life I had in my teens and 20's was counterproductive and led to a lot of unnecessary misery. After I started to make steps to change my thinking in my early 30's, my life started to improve. And since then, it's only gotten better. By no means am I saying the pain I went through was entirely self-inflicted; that's FAR from true. But the way I dealt with it certainly prolonged it and made it worse. And I'm never going back to that way of thinking and dealing with the world. 

6 hours ago, Synami said:

This year has easily been the best for me, as of now. College and secondary school are like night and day, where having the privilege to hone in on music feels infinitely more gratifying than preparing for exams. The only thing I'd say I'm missing from having an ideal life is finding a partner - maybe in '24? :^)

Sounds like a good time 

With the way I lived in the past, what I've put myself through and the choices I made leading up to get to where I am now, every day is a blessing.  Things aren't always rosy peachy but anything beats joining the worm team prematurely.

13 hours ago, Panzermann11 said:

Definitely 2010-2012. Where I experienced many amazing TV shows on Disney Channel and Cartoon Network like Regular Show, Phineas and Ferb, Mr. Bean, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Adventure Time, discovered the internet, its wonderful culture, and tons of fun Flash games and videos on YouTube.

Hell yah. 2010s FTW!!

I mean, I'm only 18, but jesus christ have I lived a life. When I was 16 17 I was like the "Judge Holden" of my school. The past year I mostly spent doing shit that I can't mention here, but believe me, if it's not perturbing to you then it's impressive. I'm at 32 and maybe I'll get up to 33 by the end of the year, if you're wondering.

I might be a few cards short of a full deck, but I feel like every "era" has been "best". Like most people, I've had ups and downs, but on balance I'd say things have worked out well throughout. (I attribute this to a lot of luck, and, in some small measure, making the correct choices.)