Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

ComicMischief said:

-- Gula (gluttony) // A low-key run through an area with multiple paths; all of which have a power-up in them. ALWAYS go for the power-up of minimum gain (for example, if a berserk/soulsphere/megasphere choice is offered, go for the berserk) or it's death.

I don't like this idea in that it makes 100% items impossible. (Unless you fake the death items with a texture.)

Joseph Lord said:

i would like to contribute with map30, the idea to finish it in grup is great, but my first work is map23 so here it is, the first version of the map. i wish that it not have problems
i hope u like guys, have fun

http://www.speedyshare.com/JKjvY/map23.wad

I wish you had read the OP before claiming the map, now you gotta do loads of work to make it vanilla compatible. I also think the difficulty is a bit over-the-top, and think it would be fine with about half the current amount.
Some textures need some work too, and the barrel area after the Masterminds fight is too clustered. Had I not been using God Mode, I would've undoubtedly died there, and I couldn't see how to get out.

That is all for now. The map overall is very good. Since Antroid doesn't want to, I'll mark you down for a part of MAP30 if you want me to?

cannonball: Thanks man, any opinion is welcome, i really want to contribuit from this proyect and this map was the only open, the truth is, when i took this map, was really hard have an idea to make this map fun, so i took the risk to use the move floor action to do this more fun, with the consequence, in mind, to change it.
Eris Falling: Thanks!, to be honest i dont know what is the OP, because i have little time here, but im willing to make any necessary changes to do this map good, just tell me what it needs. And please mark me down :)!
Thanks for ur opinions guys!

Joseph Lord said:

Eris Falling: Thanks!, to be honest i dont know what is the OP, because i have little time here, but im willing to make any necessary changes to do this map good, just tell me what it needs. And please mark me down :)!
Thanks for ur opinions guys!

OP is the original post

I said:

Development

Submitted maps should satisfy the following criteria:

• Vanilla Compatibility

Well, basically to format what I think you need to do as a list..

• Reduced monster count/difficulty
  • Removal of Boom Features for vanilla compatibility
  • Simplify design a bit, I took a look at your map in DB2, and found that you've exceeded MAXVISPLANES (215/128) and MAXDRAWSEGS (508+/256)

Is it possible that map 05 can end with the player dying? Reason I ask is that starting The Crusher with a fully-loaded BFG will take the shock out of things, and I was hoping to give the player some inappropriate weapons to force them to think on their feet.

I can't use the extended features of Doom Builder since for some shitty reason, you need a computer with some technology I've never heard of to run the new version. My PC is a gaming rig that cost nearly £1,000 and I can't run the new Doom Builder - although I can run The Witcher 2 on max everything. That's some good programming there :\

TL;DR - someone else will need to check the stats of the map as I won't be able to.

MajorRawne said:

Is it possible that map 05 can end with the player dying? Reason I ask is that starting The Crusher with a fully-loaded BFG will take the shock out of things, and I was hoping to give the player some inappropriate weapons to force them to think on their feet.

This won't be necessary, MAP05 has no BFG.

It shouldn't do, at least.
As for your stats, I'll check them when you want me to.

I believe the biggest weapon when you reach map06 is the plasma gun so no worries about needing a death exit on the previous level.
In the end you really cannot prevent the situation of people carrying weapons and ammo from previous levels due to people saving bigger weapons and of course hitscan pickups so you can just use shotgun/chaingun instead of rockets and plasma. It's best not worry about it, it's from pistol start that we all care about to be honest these days.

MajorRawne said:

No worries, good to see this won't be a BFG and Cyber spamfest from the start :)

FTFY

Eris Falling said:

FTFY

Er... I was actually planning on having boss monsters in this map, but they are all standing under the crusher :P

MajorRawne said:

Er... I was actually planning on having boss monsters in this map, but they are all standing under the crusher :P

We never reached a decision on Spiderdemons, but it would be best to keep the difficulty relatively low, given that it's still quite early in the game. Cyberdemons are a definite no no though, if you use one Egregor will kill you. If you use an Arachnotron or a Mancubus, I'll kill you ^_^

@Joe-ilya: I'm not entirely sure what you mean..

It doesn't really make sense for a boss monster to go stand under a crusher. It can be done once as a gimmick, but this once was done by Id themselves.

Also remember that a difficulties below ultra-violence, it's a pack of hell knights under that crusher in the original Id level.

I much prefer tactical crushers, where you can lure enemies if you take care not to get crushed yourself.

joe-ilya said:

i think that "id" meant by the name "gotcha!" is to get them all to
be able go on

ha, sounds like an adult version of Pokemon :P
@MajorRawne, yeah the crushing boss monster gimmick has already been done in the original map, not to say you could use it in a secret for the lolfactor

since the world gonna end at 21st at december this wont be complete :I

(joking)

@eris falling: when do you plan to publish the complete sticky version of all maps in one wad?

31st?

joe-ilya said:

since the world gonna end at 21st at december this wont be complete :I

(joking)

@eris falling: when do you plan to publish the complete sticky version of all maps in one wad?

31st?

When all maps are done. However I WILL be opening up map slots on the 31st if there's no evidence they're being worked on.

GreyGhost, ShadesMaster and Hellbent ignoring my PMs -_-

ComicMischief said:

-- Acedia (sloth) // I took 'sloth' to mean 'going slow'. This would be a time-limited run through an enemy-filled winding corridor with a slow crushing ceiling. A high one, though. Obviously there is limited time to get to the teleporter at the end of the section.

That's awesome. I was thinking something that encouraged you to move quickly but didn't think of the crushing ceiling. I would ask though that you make some way access the other side after its closed off so its playable in multiplayer. Maybe expose a teleporter after you get to a certain point.

I play coop almost exclusively and hate maps that allow you to get "stuck."

qoncept said:

That's awesome. I was thinking something that encouraged you to move quickly but didn't think of the crushing ceiling. I would ask though that you make some way access the other side after its closed off so its playable in multiplayer. Maybe expose a teleporter after you get to a certain point.

I play coop almost exclusively and hate maps that allow you to get "stuck."

Slow crushers kinda come back up again.

Well, now the centrepiece of MAP22 is finished, I decided to release a second DEMO version.

Notes

• The blue key path is not finished, it will be much longer in the final thing.

• I am well aware of a tutti at the start of the level, but not sure how to fix it. I've tried lower-unpegging, different textures, but no success.

• Ammo is tight, for this version, I give you permission to IDFA.

• I also deleted the plasma + revenant secret at the start of the tunnels, because it was shit.
DOWNLOAD V1.DEMO2

EDIT: And I forgot to place an eerie-looking blur sphere standing out against the dark of the centrepiece. Oh well.

It turns out it was tonight :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?f6krgmut5u6mrwa

It's almost entirely unplaytested, so feel free to let me know of bugs or gameplay issues. I will be looking at it myself, but it's getting late here, so that won't be for another 20+ hours.

I've drawn on the map name in two ways; first in the common English usage of the word 'gross', with lots of blood and gore around the place, and second in the original German meaning of 'Grosse', which is 'big'. Since it's map32, I didn't map the level big in the sense of being a very large level, but I did use only big guns, and big monsters, and built most of the gameplay around big rooms.

Played map32,
liked it a lot, very keep it simple strategy sticking on one idea and keeping it through to the end. Only medium and high tier monsters are used along with appropriate weaponry. There are not real irritations (demons/spectres/lost souls/pain elementals) which was nice so you get a little more breathing space to use rockets which is the main source of fighting in this map. The map itself is relatively straightforward and difficulty if harder than the original isn't too taxing and painful (unlike a lot of map32s :P).
Overall a really good map

Eris Falling said:
You placed a middle texture where I'm standing of bars, but didn't flag it as impassable. Although the torch blocks you from going right through, you can still stand IN the bars. Same on the other side of this room.

I think I can manage to fix that :)

I'll possibly also make the BFG column a lift, rather than a one-time floor drop.

cannonball said:

There are not real irritations (demons/spectres/lost souls/pain elementals) which was nice so you get a little more breathing space to use rockets which is the main source of fighting in this map.
Overall a really good map

This is a good point actually, I hardly ever use the RL because it's just too dangerous half the time. Although even here when fighting the cyber's a ran behind a pillar, not noticing it, and holding down fire.

Well, it was my own fault. When you said it was a small map I was slightly...disturbed (completely the wrong word), and this is definitely how I wouldn't have done it myself (I briefly thought of something along the lines of RCTW's X-Labs, with demons as the Lopers).

This is a pretty cool map :)

Double post.

MAP07 has been updated to V3.3.7
Get it here

Change: You can no longer get stuck in the cracks.

I'm also adding a mini to-do list to the OP for maps that are already available, if necessary.

Eris Falling said:
This is a pretty cool map :)

Well I'd like to think that after 18 years of mucking about with this game, I could put together a decent level :)

Capellan said:

Well I'd like to think that after 18 years of mucking about with this game, I could put together a decent level :)

I think you can ;)

I was pretty happy with that one, yes. Not bad for an old guy who still uses DETH for editing :)

I did really miss the massive CC4 texture wad when doing Grosse, I have to say.

Capellan said:

I was pretty happy with that one, yes. Not bad for an old guy who still uses DETH for editing :)

I did really miss the massive CC4 texture wad when doing Grosse, I have to say.

DETH!?
I'll have to remember that when I write the TXT on release day...
Wow..I thought everyone used DB2 nowadays :o