Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

On 7/4/2018 at 7:29 PM, Grain of Salt said:

Not hexen, though?

Yes, I have fixed Hexen so it compiles and runs fine just as Heretic.

When I try to load the Minor Sprite Fixing Project before Struggle in this port, it refuses to launch because of some conflicts with Spider Mastermind and Arachnotron sprites. Despite this, both PrBoom+ and Eternity can load both files and work out what to do with them, so I was wondering if you could maybe incorporate whatever they use to handle issues like this (man is it embarassing when my language suddenly begins to reflect my ignorance)

How are you trying to load them? with -file or -merge?

With -file, but trying -merge got me more or less the same results. When I tried loading the sprite fixes with -file and Struggle with -merge, it took issue with WolfSS frames rather than Spider Mastermind frames, but swapping the commands around and using -merge for all of it still gave me the first error I got both times.

Crispy-doom sometimes crashes and throws me back to windows without any error message after I pick up a berserk pack, this happents completly random but dident happen in version 5.1.

And also for example in plutonia2 map20 a mancubi gets to walk in the floor and in map 25 a revenant, wich make them hard to kill or suicide with rocket launcher. or was this a classic vanilla bug? this happents both in version 5.1 and 5.2..

Just wanted to report them..

Overal crispy-doom is my favorite source port wich I use the most, so a big thumps up! =)

On 7/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, SiFi270 said:

When I try to load the Minor Sprite Fixing Project before Struggle in this port, it refuses to launch because of some conflicts with Spider Mastermind and Arachnotron sprites.

I'll try to find some time and look into this, thanks!

1 hour ago, doomaddict82 said:

Crispy-doom sometimes crashes and throws me back to windows without any error message after I pick up a berserk pack, this happents completly random but dident happen in version 5.1.

Are you playing with the Crispy HUD or with the regular status bar? Do you have a PWAD loaded that changes the Berserk Pack's sprite?

And also for example in plutonia2 map20 a mancubi gets to walk in the floor and in map 25 a revenant, wich make them hard to kill or suicide with rocket launcher. or was this a classic vanilla bug? this happents both in version 5.1 and 5.2..

This may be an emulated INTERCEPTS overflow, indeed.

Just wanted to report them..

Overal crispy-doom is my favorite source port wich I use the most, so a big thumps up! =)

Thank you very much!

@fabian

Are you playing with the Crispy HUD or with the regular status bar? Do you have a PWAD loaded that changes the Berserk Pack's sprite?

I play with the Crispy HUD on, other than that I play pure vanilla, without any mods.. (come to think of it, I used the regular hud back in Crispy 5.1 so I cannot verify if this bug was present in 5.1 )

About the monsters walking in the floor, i ment map 22 (not 20) and 25 of plutonia 2, when I play with complevel 4 on prboom+ this doesent happen, isent complevel 4 supposed to emulated the same vanilla bugs?

On 7/9/2018 at 8:53 PM, Paar said:

Regarding the sound issue setting the variable to "directsound" solved the problem.

How to do this? Detailed instruction please.

The map Hypostyle (visit12) in Hexen seems to crash every version of Crispy I've tried it in (5.x and 1.x, basically), with a message saying "R_Subsector: solidsegs overflow", and similar things. The error isn't immediate, it seems to happen a few seconds into the level, or when the player faces in a certain direction possibly?

I can't claim to fully understand this issue, but this map never crashed for me in the DOS days, so on the face of it seems like the engine should be able to handle it. And FWIW I've never had Crispy crash on a vanilla hexen map like this before, so I guess this level is unusually dense in polyobjs or something.

Also, thanks for supporting hexen in this mostly hexenless world :)

@Grain of Salt That level would interestingly enough cause Hexen95 to crash when viewing certain directions as well, I remember having to face away from all the pillars towards the walls in the hopes of not crashing the game.

The solidsegs[] overflow in Hexen is now disabled, thanks for pointing this out!

On 7/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, doomaddict82 said:

I play with the Crispy HUD on, other than that I play pure vanilla, without any mods.. (come to think of it, I used the regular hud back in Crispy 5.1 so I cannot verify if this bug was present in 5.1 )

Have you been able to find a reproduction rule for this bug?

On 7/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, doomaddict82 said:

About the monsters walking in the floor, i ment map 22 (not 20) and 25 of plutonia 2, when I play with complevel 4 on prboom+ this doesent happen, isent complevel 4 supposed to emulated the same vanilla bugs?

Sure, PrBoom+ with complevel 4 is also supposed to emulate this, but an INTERCEPTS overflow isn't *that* easy to reproduce (you need a certain number of things and lines to align in your shooting direction).

@fabian

said : Have you been able to find a reproduction rule for this bug?

uhm, maybe this is a stupid question but Were should I look for that? :/

I know about this ghost or no clipping bug, mayb I dident explain well, I ment for example in map 22 of plutonia2,  one mancubi is walking in the floor, and in map25 there is one revenant also walking in the floor, it seems to happen if there is a lot of difference in height in the map, and i know there  realy is no height difference in doom, but uknow what i meen :S 

but its not realy that big of a deal, it happents v sporadic in maps, only those 2 maps seem to have this occur , and not always and I have only seen it in plutonia2 wad, and I play alot of megawads, so..

3 hours ago, doomaddict82 said:

@fabian

said : Have you been able to find a reproduction rule for this bug?

Maybe you could record a demo while the problem is occurring? Then, if the problem occurs during playback, you can reproduce the problem at will.

10 hours ago, doomaddict82 said:

With my question I was refering to the crash when picking up a berserk pack.

If you are looking for ways to reproduce INTERCEPT overflows, there are several demos available here. Look for "Player and all monsters become ghosts" in the Master Levels section:

http://classicdoom.com/odddemos.htm

@fabian

thanks, but I know about intercept overflows,  I have become a ghost and everything else a couple of times, this is reffered to no clipping bug in online games,

I know how its emulated becuz hitscan goes over to many things, or bfg traces, but in this instant, in the map22 of plutonia2 only ONE mancubi has this problem of walking in the floor, play the map or  of plutonia2 on UV difficulty, or map25  which has the same problem but with ONE revenant, it happents quite often, I dont think that a intercep overflow effects only one monster at a time..

Its not a biggie tho, its just something I noticed..

@kbl

Okay, thanks for your reply I can try 2 record it.

Edited by doomaddict82

If only one monster is affected, it has probably been crushed to a pool of gore and then resurrected by an Arch-Vile.

If you turn on translucency, will the monster render translucently? Also, yes, it would help vastly if you could record this happening in a demo. Thanks!

@fabian

There is no arch ville in that paticular section, I know about ghost resurrections, thats not it, I have no idea to explain it why it only seems to happen on the maps i have pointed out, on the pl2 map25 theres also fake bridge architecture mayb that is what triggers it..

and on the map22 theres 2 mancubi walking on a narrow path wich is surounded by hurt floors and sometimes one of them walks in the floor..

Sure I can record it, I will do in the coming weekend..

I try 5.3 version dev build and seems there is all ok with sound at last (correct balance), so I want to ask: is it possible to add a choice between dev and release sdl libraries in 5.3 version? Cuz I have big problems with release libraries - sound is very quiet and very unbalance + cartoon style if more than 2 audio channels.

P.S. Any chances to see vanilla mode - high resolution rendering + uncapped framerate only? :)

Edited by MAJ

@doomaddict82 Maybe even a savegame would suffice.

@MAJ The Crispy dev builds are built in the same environment as the Choco releases, i.e. the SDL libraries are several releases behind, they are built without MP3 support and they won't work with the fluidsynth library and the soundfont bundled in the "Crispy music pack". :(

Regarding "vanilla mode", what prevets you from enabing only the features you consider "vanilla" in the Crispness menu?

On 8/6/2018 at 9:09 AM, fabian said:

@MAJ The Crispy dev builds are built in the same environment as the Choco releases, i.e. the SDL libraries are several releases behind, they are built without MP3 support and they won't work with the fluidsynth library and the soundfont bundled in the "Crispy music pack". :(

So there is no solution? :(

On 8/6/2018 at 9:09 AM, fabian said:

Regarding "vanilla mode", what prevets you from enabing only the features you consider "vanilla" in the Crispness menu?

Of course I can, but there is no option to turn on vanilla menu with exit sounds (without ENDOOM screen) to get full vanilla game look. May be just add a parameter in the config? It would be best to add the vanilla menu option (turn off by default of course) in the Crispness section in the settings app, so that you can first customize the game, and then turn on the vanilla menu (with exit sounds) at will.

Edited by MAJ

@fabian

@fabian I have tried 20+ recordings and it dident have the mancubi walking in the floor, also on longtics normal play it dident happen, it must have been the 5.1 version, this time there is some kind of map design bug were the walking in the floor happent, I took a screen but its not v clear, there is a visual line present there that is not supposed to be there : its left next to the gun.. thats the spot were the bug occurred and I have never noticed the line before, its in the plutonia2 map22.. linebug.jpg.6550d110b712253994d0ac88450b8d1c.jpg

I have personally experienced the cartoonish sound effects with Crispy Doom, none of the suggestions here seemed to work. Since Chocolate Doom worked perfectly i compared the cfg files the difference that fixed Crispy Doom seemed to be (for me at least) "use_libsamplerate             1" In my experience when the CFG file is first created this option number defaults to 1. Not so on Chocolate Doom. Chocolate Doom defaults to 0. After changing the 1 to a 0. Night and day.. (no ammount of sound card sample rate changes would effect this issue, and i will admit i have no idea what this setting is other than switching the game from broke to fixed.) I apologize if this fix has been offered in these forums already, as i could not locate anything that worked for me. I hope this helps even one person...

ckjb1969, thanks! It completely solved all problems with sound ("cartoons" and balance) but in dev builds. In release version sounds become... "truncated" I guess and still has balance problem, 100% it's because of SDL libraries. I hope fabian will disable this bug option by default in 5.3 version and find way to replace SDL libraries.

Edited by MAJ

3 hours ago, ckjb1969 said:

"use_libsamplerate             1"

Thank you very much for finding this out!

Could you please perform two more test for me? The reverse change should be reproducible on Chocolate Doom, so could you please change this setting to "1" in Choco and see if this introduces distorted sounds there? And second, could you please replace all of Crispy's *.DLL files with the ones from Choco (and vice versa) and check if this makes a difference for any of both?

2 hours ago, MAJ said:

I hope fabian will disable this bug option by default in 5.3 version and find way to replace SDL libraries.

The option isn't buggy per se. It leads to all sound effects getting resampled to the system's native sample rate and works on the majority of systems. However, there seems to be a bug in either the library itself or the Choco/Crispy sound code that leads to the distortion that you experience. I am still not sure, though, if disabling this option will do more benefit to the majority of users than leaving it as is. Of course, I would rather like to fix this bug, but since I am not even able to reproduce it here, this will be tricky...

Ok Reguarding the sound effect discrepency in Crispy Doom... My initial findings were that  "use_libsamplerate             1 or 0" made no diffrence in Chocolate Doom, both played the sound effects normally.
My next text was to add the SDL2,SDL2_MIXER, sDL2_net dlls ONLY, from Chocolate doom to Crispy doom. I made sure the offending  "use_libsamplerate             1" was in place in the cfg file also. The results were a success.. IMO the culprit lies in the crispy SDL2 dll files, either one or all.

I hope this helps Fabian... and if there is further tests you need done just ask.

one last thing this issue with the SDL2.DLL files was repeated with the Heretic installation. replacing crispy doom dlls with chocolate fixed its issue.

Edited by ckjb1969

Update August 12, 2018: Crispy Doom 5.3 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatibile with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.3 has been released on August 12, 2018. This version brings several fixes to deeper-lurking bugs and some improvements.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Crispy_Doom#History_of_changes

The Crispy Doom source code is available at GitHub:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_5.3.zip
http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom-music-pack_5.1.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian