Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Another TNT Community Project?

Which of the premade maps should be used?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the premade maps should be used?

• Acid Assault?
    • Temple?
    • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night?
    • None, learn to map scrub!

A couple things I noticed whilst playing it Doomtodeath:

- That zombieman secret is great.

- Too much enemies, too little ammo or health.

- I was extremely lost when I first tried

- I don't mind Nazi symbolism (Me being a descendant of some Nazi's that fled to England from Germany before WW2 makes me care even less) but Nazi swastikas outside of the playable area make no sense, please try and incorporate it into the map or just remove it because it is 100% pointless.

- No clipping revealed a skull on a stick that is somewhat out of the map.

- What on earth makes that lift sound in the inescapable lava pit?

- And some imps are stuck in that large open room.

I think it has potential, you could:

- broaden out the cliffs/dry land segments to give the player some more space.

- Less enemies OR More supplies for the player, I don't want to try punching an Archvile to death ever again because that took the piss.

- For a large open cave it seems a little bit cramped, perhaps you could broaden the edges a little.

- The design is VERY linear, adding extra cave systems attached to the main cave that contain (The much needed) supplies would encourage the player to explore the map more.

- Some of the obstacles placed are in the way of the main path (That one skull stick is a PAIN IN THE ASS!), you could move them or remove them.

- I like what you did with the pinkies funneling out the cracked wall, could you do more of that with different enemies in the cracks in certain places (Like an imp ambush as multiple targets craw out of different rock surfaces, that would be cool as fuck).

- a lot of the enemies appear to be able to hear the player throughout the entire map, this can be fixed by setting them to Deaf (Ambush mode) so they only respond upon seeing the player.

Like I said it has some very good potential, keep at it and I am sure you will make something great out of it.

mrthejoshmon said:

A couple things I noticed whilst playing it Doomtodeath:

- That zombieman secret is great.

- Too much enemies, too little ammo or health.

- I was extremely lost when I first tried

- I don't mind Nazi symbolism (Me being a descendant of some Nazi's that fled to England from Germany before WW2 makes me care even less) but Nazi swastikas outside of the playable area make no sense, please try and incorporate it into the map or just remove it because it is 100% pointless.

- No clipping revealed a skull on a stick that is somewhat out of the map.

- What on earth makes that lift sound in the inescapable lava pit?

- And some imps are stuck in that large open room.

I think it has potential, you could:

- broaden out the cliffs/dry land segments to give the player some more space.

- Less enemies OR More supplies for the player, I don't want to try punching an Archvile to death ever again because that took the piss.

- For a large open cave it seems a little bit cramped, perhaps you could broaden the edges a little.

- The design is VERY linear, adding extra cave systems attached to the main cave that contain (The much needed) supplies would encourage the player to explore the map more.

- Some of the obstacles placed are in the way of the main path (That one skull stick is a PAIN IN THE ASS!), you could move them or remove them.

- I like what you did with the pinkies funneling out the cracked wall, could you do more of that with different enemies in the cracks in certain places (Like an imp ambush as multiple targets craw out of different rock surfaces, that would be cool as fuck).

- a lot of the enemies appear to be able to hear the player throughout the entire map, this can be fixed by setting them to Deaf (Ambush mode) so they only respond upon seeing the player.

Like I said it has some very good potential, keep at it and I am sure you will make something great out of it.

Thank you for the feedback.
Also, you claim the level is linear but you still get lost, that's how good I am at making Doom maps lol.

Doomtodeath said:

Also, you claim the level is linear but you still get lost, that's how good I am at making Doom maps lol.

Lost in the start area because I didn't see the tiny entrance to the next area, you should make that bigger.

mrthejoshmon said:

Lost in the start area because I didn't see the tiny entrance to the next area, you should make that bigger.

One thing I did notice that was bad about my wad was how "back and forth with nothing to do" it is, Would a little more ambushes (and ammo) after you flip the switch make up for this?

Doomtodeath said:

One thing I did notice that was bad about my wad was how "back and forth with nothing to do" it is, Would a little more ambushes (and ammo) after you flip the switch make up for this?

Yes, have it open more walls (Doors) that reveal more hostiles and more supplies, that way you can have the best of both worlds.

So who's the lucky bastard who gets to do Map Map30? If its still available by the time i'm done with my current map, i will surely volunteer that slot.

He may be referencing this:

The title said:

Another TNT Community Project

But that does not matter if you read on:

The OP said
The style of the maps can be anything (serious that is), MAP04 could be a slaughter map whilst MAP07 could be a switch hunt... Anything goes really!

So the map is completely fine being in the project anyway so stop complaining :P

Does anyone want to collaborate on a map? PM me if you're interested. I'll only take quality mappers though.

Impboy4 said:

I'll only take quality mappers though.

I guess I'm out then...

Any takers on this offer? We could always do with more maps for the project.

mrthejoshmon said:

I guess I'm out then...

Any takers on this offer? We could always do with more maps for the project.

Maybe I was a bit too broad on that. Let me make that better:

I'll only take mappers who can make maps visually pleasing. I will not accept mappers that make messy maps (ex. Joe-liya).

Impboy4 said:

Maybe I was a bit too broad on that. Let me make that better:

I'll only take mappers who can make maps visually pleasing. I will not accept mappers that make messy maps (ex. Joe-liya).

I would love to do this... If I wasn't already working on my own map.

mrthejoshmon said:

(Sorry about the double post)

Here we are, I am gonna see if I can simply have the energy to upload a crappy little video of my playthroughs of your guys maps. Here is "Deep Water" by KevinHEZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcXtkBPWlyY

There is not any feedback for this map as I believe it is 100% fine as it is right now.

You missed 1 secret, and also, did you like the archvile? :)

My map... isn't coming. I know I need to work on it, i'm just not getting round to it... (this doesnt mean its dead, i will still finish it before the project is done)

Doomtodeath said:

My map... isn't coming. I know I need to work on it, i'm just not getting round to it... (this doesnt mean its dead, i will still finish it before the project is done)

Take your time, the project doens't have a release date yet.

I have played through some of the contributions and here is what I have to say about the ones I have played (that I have not already given my thoughts on) and I am going to be 100% honest with you:

TNT Fortress by sincity2100:

A solid run and gun level by sincity2100, the map has you invading some kind of fortress and then removing the inhabitants yourself. The map plays fairly well and is a hell of a lot of fun, the secrets are kind of easy to find but I don't care about that.

The only real issue I have with it that there is some questionable texture choices, but I can let those slide as they are nothing serious.

A Long Train Ride by KevinHEZ:

This one started off in a bit of a pickle due to incorrectly functioning doors, that was however fixed by both me and KevinHEZ (I missed one or two of them that he fixed up, thanks for that).

The map is actually really good looking, it plays very smoothly and is undoubtedly a very well thought out and solid singleplayer experience. The map flows rather well and has you on your toes as you have no idea what awaits you round the next bend, however the map is very linear.

One of the things I would do is make the map have more extra sections that the player can explore to his own leisure and be rewarded for doing so with some more good scenery and some extra items.

Brain Stew by joe-ilya:

Joe, what the fuck?

I have a lot of fucking issues with this map so let me just say a small amount of them, bluntly:

- The most detail in the map is that inaccessible room at the start, whilst it is a nice enough feature and all I feel as though that is the only room you actually tried to make interesting.

- The overall map design is absolutely spastic and almost unplayable, parts like the former human filled teleport trap are good as well as... That is about it really. There is so much shit going on that the player has to face that it becomes more of a tedious slog more than any other map I have ever played (deadly serious there). There is so much bullshit map designs going on that it is not even fun in the god damn slightest.

- The monster placement has some good parts to it actually, some enemies are strategically placed in places that are not actually retarded or unfair, on the other hand the majority of the monsters are placed in retarded positions that make the players like hell.

There is archviles in the most bullshit of locations, there is high level monsters pretty much up your ass on the second god damn shelf fucking you as hard as they can and not even giving you a reach around! The monster placement for the most part is just bullshit and unfair (Revenants up every fucking wall, hell knights up your ass, archviles in your face or across the map) and the most stupidest thing I have ever seen is an arachnotron so close to you in a cramped room that it can't even move!

- The texture usage is just fucking ugly as sin Joe, the map looks like an unfinished product from the 90's era of absolute shit!
You have 3 choices right now:

- Take this map and make it something tolerable, make it actually fun and playable.

- Scrap this map and make something better.

- If you fail to do either, I'm sorry but I am not having you in the project, Joe.

This map in its current stage has been rejected and will further be rejected unless it becomes something... I dunno, good?

-

Gonna get to the KevinHEZ and Impboy4 collaboration map soon, I am busy right now so it will happen either later today or sometime next week.

Doomtodeath said:

I was about to call you out for being a "little harsh" but then I gave Brain Stew (two.wad) a genuine try. Heres how it went:
I start off in a nicely lit room, blast the two imps with my shotgun, and head into the right teleporter. What the fuck am I looking at. Using Wolfenstein textures for a non-secret, Doom map is stupid. Also there are hell knights on the rail walks. I proceed, pick up a rocket launcher, until about 50 imps swarm me with nowhere to strafe. After a mindless shoot fest, i head down a dark hallway, with a revenant that has half of its body sunk into the ceiling. There was more but it was so boring I just called it quits.

I would go so far as to call it a "megawad killer", that one map that goes unchecked and then fucks the entire megawad (D2INO MAP27 comes to mind).

Joe, you need to seriously do something about this map.

mrthejoshmon said:

I would go so far as to call it a "megawad killer", that one map that goes unchecked and then fucks the entire megawad (D2INO MAP27 comes to mind).

Joe, you need to seriously do something about this map.

Double the defenses, don't let any mediocore wads through!

If your struggling with your wad, you can always resort to posting what is made of it so far and asking for advice and (constructive) criticism, like I did.