Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Claw Van Helsing

DoomPDA Codes

I assume you are talking about the PDA in Doom 3, right? No, I don't think there's a lot of people (in this forum or elsewhere) using their cellphones or tablets to open doors.

Zed said:

I assume you are talking about the PDA in Doom 3, right? No, I don't think there's a lot of people (in this forum or elsewhere) using their cellphones or tablets to open doors.

I meant use them to keep records of the door codes.

In real life, I've never yet seen a door that required you to type a numeric code (on a pad) in order to be opened.

scifista42 said:

In real life, I've never yet seen a door that required you to type a numeric code (on a pad) in order to be opened.

Well, I've seen them in banks. But no, I still haven't see anybody checking his cellphone to see the code (I think it's not even allowed to use cellphones on banks).

scifista42 said:

When I used to work in a shop we had one to get into the back. Becomes muscle memory after a while

Heh, that's actually a sort of clever idea, adding to the immersion. Would probably be too much work to get a list together of all the access codes and whatnot, though. Though I do suppose that would make an interesting kind of a "cheat code" app... One that lists all the PDA codes with an interface made up to look like the interface in Doom 3.

Actually, it's kinda funny - the PDA in Doom 3 seemed perfectly reasonable to me when I played the game, now it's like, "Wow, that thing is so big and bulky, who would carry that around? Why is this tech supposedly in the future so unwieldy? Though actually I could come up with an in-universe explanation - say the PDAs were made like that so they could take more punishment in a potentially rough environment (built to survive drops and the like). Though even then, it only really needs to be the size of a cell phone, doesn't need to be this huge thing that you can't just put in your pocket.

IRL, though, no, because I've never had to remember that many codes. I've only ever needed like, one or two for work, and I have personal codes I use for ATMs that are easy for me to remember but hard to figure out.

Doom 3's PDA may be bulky, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't fucking bend!

I always found it annoying, that the Doom3 PDA was read only.
It would have been much help to be able to write down own notes or comments.

BTW: Could somebody please move this thread to the D3 Forum?

VGA said:

but I'm pretty sure it doesn't fucking bend!

Ya if the doomguy put it in his pants before crouching into a air duct, I'm pretty sure it would snap!

geekmarine said:

Heh, that's actually a sort of clever idea, adding to the immersion.

The only time I've ever used the use of a notepad for a game is a journal for Ultima 7 because you have to record all the important things that are said due to the lack of an in game journal.

Where I work, all the doors are opened by the swipe of an RFID card. It would be mega-cool if we had red, blue, and yellow keys to get into various areas. I think I'll run it by corporate.

geekmarine said:

Actually, it's kinda funny - the PDA in Doom 3 seemed perfectly reasonable to me when I played the game, now it's like, "Wow, that thing is so big and bulky, who would carry that around? Why is this tech supposedly in the future so unwieldy? Though actually I could come up with an in-universe explanation - say the PDAs were made like that so they could take more punishment in a potentially rough environment (built to survive drops and the like). Though even then, it only really needs to be the size of a cell phone, doesn't need to be this huge thing that you can't just put in your pocket.

Okay, I promise I won't go into a singularity rant here, but I think that goes to show how frighteningly fast technology accelerates. Back in the early 2000s, it probably seemed logical that we'd use devices like that over a century from now; but now that neural interfaces are in development, Doom 3's tech suddenly seems very crude and bulky. It's funny, then, that some on here have been so dismissive of my predictions of radically new and bizarre tech within the next few decades. Doom 4 is at least trying to modernize things with what appears to be a 2.0 of the exoskeletal suits that military is working on.