Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
watstha

New Doom story mode

Xerge said:

Does anyone know who "Olivia" is supposed to be? I'm having the feeling that the lady who speaks in the teaser trailer is supposed to be her.

Olivia Pierce, the leading scientist for the hell exploration stuff. And if the story is completely foreseeable, she will turn into the newest incarnation of Lilith, the demon mother (or some other fancy female demon).

A story twist could be that, while she is hungry of power and everything, she does not partake in magick and also doesn't get possessed. But her ignorance makes her an involuntary ally to hell.

Tetzlaff said:

A story twist could be that, while she is hungry of power and everything, she does not partake in magick and also doesn't get possessed. But her ignorance makes her an involuntary ally to hell.

A Novel worthy concept, that.

Who knows maybe ms Olivia got cancer and she just have few months to live so she pact with hell for immortality.

I would love to see other cool characters, maybe echo logs from scientist guy who realize what will happen so he prepare few secret rooms like in Portal where he could live, You will never face him, but You will find clues what he have done.

Gzegzolka said:

Who knows maybe ms Olivia got cancer and she just have few months to live so she pact with hell for immortality.

Regarding inmortality and Hell: I don't think this hell is supposed to be the christian hell, like in a Platonic Hell with eternal entities (Christianity is Platonism for the masses), these entities are not inmortal, they die.

LANEGRACABRA said:

What we know so far is, there will be AN UNHOLY UNION OF FAT AND METAL

Ah the teaser trailer. Back when I was actually excited about the game.

Xerge said:

Regarding inmortality and Hell: I don't think this hell is supposed to be the christian hell, like in a Platonic Hell with eternal entities (Christianity is Platonism for the masses), these entities are not inmortal, they die.

I always took the fact that the demons can be killed as just a result of a little bit of our reality leaking into theirs, just like theirs is leaking into ours. Demons in completely isolated hell would be invincible.

I always thought that this Doom "Hell" from the human point of view is actually some sort of "unknown dimension" and that it's the humans that interpret it as being "Hell".

I'd also find it more interesting that it is unsure this is really hell and that that's just a UAC code name for this place, because the monsters reasemble what we would think are demons and there is a very high chance that we, as humans, aren't mistaken.

Xerge said:

I always thought that this Doom "Hell" from the human point of view is actually some sort of "unknown dimension" and that it's the humans that interpret it as being "Hell".

I'd also find it more interesting that it is unsure this is really hell and that that's just a UAC code name for this place, because the monsters reasemble what we would think are demons and there is a very high chance that we, as humans, aren't mistaken.

I´d like to keep interpretations aside, and that the game makes it clear that those are true demons, I really don´t want Freds from Fredworld =( (Doom novels)

I'm not saying "the game" doesn't make it clear nor that this isn't really Hell, I'm talking about it from the UAC (scientists) point of view.

You should check out Philosophy of science, poppers falsifiability, provisional theories, modern science is based on this.

watstha said:

So, what do you guys think will be the story of the game? What would you like to see?
Personally, I hope they go the Doom RPG rute, and name the Doomguy: Stan Blazkowicz, it would really add depth to the character without the need of introducing internal monologue or two hours of cutscenes.

It would also come into full circle with the new Wolfenstein series, in which the technology was already advanced by the 60´s, it would also explain the "Next step, mars" posters in The new order.

Maybe even add a small cutscene in which the Doomguy punches his CO in the face to avoid shooting at civilians.

What are your thoughts?

Invasion begins while Doomguy "Rip N Tear" Blazkowicz is playing Super Turkey Turbo Puncher 3, first wave of Demons kill his pet bunny, he vows revenge, game begins.

Xerge said:

Does anyone know who "Olivia" is supposed to be? I'm having the feeling that the lady who speaks in the teaser trailer is supposed to be her.

Chief scientist researcher at Alpha Labs and leader of the cult responsible for the demonic invasion.

victorboris1 said:

Chief scientist researcher at Alpha Labs and leader of the cult responsible for the demonic invasion.

Yeah, nasty things happen when scientists become metaphysicians.

Xerge said:

I'm not saying "the game" doesn't make it clear nor that this isn't really Hell, I'm talking about it from the UAC (scientists) point of view.

You should check out Philosophy of science, poppers falsifiability, provisional theories, modern science is based on this.

Kind of funny how a Doom game has deeper layers in its vague storyline than many other over-done "epic" stories (like Halo).

I´m just a little freaked out because of the novels, but I agree it would also be very interesting to see or listen how UAC workers react to Hell´s discovery, which I guess we´ll see in the game in the form of those codex.

Scientists "Oh shit!"

occultist scientists "Holy freaking shit!"

Of course, Doom involes not only science but also metaphysics, thay as deep as you can go.

I don't think most sci-fi shooters get into metaphysics like that.

I really like the idea that Doom is connected to Wolf TNO. I guess we'd technically be playing as a nazi though so I doubt Bethesda/ID would do that in fear of offending the tumblrites :/

Also I wonder if we'll be seeing Phobos in the new game? Every Doom re-imagining seems to forget nothing in the original 2 games was actually set on Mars.

AwesomeO-789 said:

Every Doom re-imagining seems to forget nothing in the original 2 games was actually set on Mars.

And that is a good thing because Phoboes and Deimos are boring settings: grey rock, no atmosphere. Mars is a much better setting, it's an actual planet with a strong color scheme (dusty red) and it has a rich mythology.

Tetzlaff said:

I would certainly prefer something like this than another "magic" wielding psycho scientist that "leads" the demons in their invasion like Doom 3's Betruger plot.

Though I would honestly prefer that Ms. Pierce basically ceases to be useful to the demons once she has let them through and they proceed to tear her to pieces right away, and then we spend the story seeing pre-recorded messages documenting her downfall and setting her up as a likely villain, only to finally learn that she's been dead since the invasion started.

It would be better if the actual story turns out to do better than this, but I'm not betting on it.

AwesomeO-789 said:

I really like the idea that Doom is connected to Wolf TNO. I guess we'd technically be playing as a nazi though so I doubt Bethesda/ID would do that in fear of offending the tumblrites :/

I don't think bethesda cares judging by how violent the game is. I think some have already ranted about how this game is way to violent

dsm said:

Though I would honestly prefer that Ms. Pierce basically ceases to be useful to the demons once she has let them through and they proceed to tear her to pieces right away, and then we spend the story seeing pre-recorded messages documenting her downfall and setting her up as a likely villain, only to finally learn that she's been dead since the invasion started.

That would be a nice turn as well. Hell would be more intimidating if there is no easy way to become an evil laughing hell lord like Betruger.