Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Freedoom Map Submission (Part of Aquatex mapping project)

Download.

Currently Map08
Aquatex textures (Tell me if there's any issues / if I was using the wrong version)
Vanilla Compatible
Freedoom Compatible

Consider this map a submission to Freedoom, if the team wishes it to be part of the project.

I only ask for credit in return, if you decide to include the map.

I so badly want to take this map and put it in slot 13. Because the current map13 is messed up.

But this would first have to be retexturised to not include the Aquatex textures :(

Voros said:

But this would first have to be retexturised to not include the Aquatex textures :(

Textures which were donated to the Freedoom project to allow it to develop its own identity instead of just having IWAD clones...

Sigh.

^
This.

I would at least like to see a test of FreeDoom with original textures.
Being honest. Why not just have the iwad compatible textures in a separate wad to load for mapsets that require them or something?

Gez said:

Textures which were donated to the Freedoom project to allow it to develop its own identity instead of just having IWAD clones...

Sigh.

That's what the Aquatex Mapping Experiment is for dum-dum!

I'm just worried whether the maintainers are on my, our side. They don't seem to be.

Voros said:

That's what the Aquatex Mapping Experiment is for dum-dum!

I don't understand this response to Gez at all. Can you explain more clearly why a map made using an original texture set that's been submitted to Freedoom would need to be retextured with IWAD clones?

The textures complemented the level so well too. It's a damn good level.

And they mean. Retexture the map using the textures that are already in FreeDoom, few textures of which are loosely somewhat similar to the commercial iwads of Doom.

esselfortium said:

I don't understand this response to Gez at all. Can you explain more clearly why a map made using an original texture set that's been submitted to Freedoom would need to be retextured with IWAD clones?

The Aquatex textures have been given permission to be included in Freedoom. BUT that doesn't mean it is in Freedoom.

And will it ACTUALLY be included in Freedoom? Who knows? The maintainers are skeptical about adding so many new textures to Freedoom, due to questions like "will mappers make good use of these?"

If they've already been approved for inclusion, who is skeptical about what? If the question is "will mappers use those textures?" and you're having to turn away maps because they used those textures, then I don't even know what to say about that circular logic. The way this project is run is incomprehensible.

It was approved by the AUTHOR, jmickle.

Jmickle is not the project maintainer.

Fraggle/chungy have literally said nothing on this matter. And THEY are the maintainers. They handle what gets in, gets out, etc. Chungy did say that he prefers Freedoom to not have new textures.

Right now, the project seems to be on a turning point with this big decision. Confusion happens during major changes.

Voros said:

Chungy did say that he prefers Freedoom to not have new textures.

when did chungy say he was against new textures?

@dragonfly

great map :)
i was under the impression that we can include new textures. i have PM'd chungy about this to clear things up, so let's wait and see what he says

Chungy said it before more than once. Trust me.

I don't think he'll say yes to your PM though.

can you show me where he said it?

and why are you making assumptions about chungy? youre the one who went around misrepresenting the project and pissing off possible contributors, you caused confusion. honestly i see you the same way i see zerthex, but at least that guy was trying to do something.

Voros said:

Chungy said it before more than once. Trust me.

I just asked him on IRC and he said he has no objections...

raymoohawk said:

and why are you making assumptions about chungy? youre the one who went around misrepresenting the project and pissing off possible contributors, you caused confusion. honestly i see you the same way i see zerthex, but at least that guy was trying to do something.

Just my thoughts based on what chungy said in the past.

Unfortunately I can't look for that exact post, because it's lost somewhere in these forums.

Now about that second paragraph, I have no objections on what you think of me.

Anyways, if he did change his mind, then I better get to work.

It's worth noting that you'll have to replace the animated flats with the IWAD clone ones, due to the vanilla target. The walls will also be static, no animations there.

I say the animated flats will be removed, as they use the ANIMATED lump, a Boom feature.

And fortunately, there are no wall animations in Aquatex.

Blastfrog said:

It's worth noting that you'll have to replace the animated flats with the IWAD clone ones, due to the vanilla target. The walls will also be static, no animations there.

The vanilla target should be taken behind a shed, and shot.

^That might be possible IF Freedoom came packaged with a Boom-based port, ready-to-go. Like the Starter Pack

Gez said:

The vanilla target should be taken behind a shed, and shot.

Nah.

Voros said:

^That might be possible IF Freedoom came packaged with a Boom-based port, ready-to-go. Like the Starter Pack

That has nothing to do with it.

In other words, new textures are a go, but no new switches or animations?

Whoa, if it's not the "unique identity vs. IWAD clone" dilemma again.

Da Werecat said:

Whoa, if it's not the "unique identity vs. IWAD clone" dilemma again.

make freedoom phase 1 & 2 boom compatible, we have freedm, compatible whit any pwad of tnt, plutonia, and 100% vannila.

for other side having a animadef inside the iwad is not going to hurt any pwad of it load we may say the game is not 100% vannila working (by its owns).

i still choose unique indentity.

Da Werecat said:

Animated textures aren't a big deal, and switches can be set into the wall to hide the surrounding part of the texture.

Voros said:

Q: Should this pack also be present in FreeDM? Need to know.

I don't see why not.

Blastfrog said:

That has nothing to do with it.

Nevermind.

Anyways, Aquatex doesn't have new switches, so that takes care of that. Nor does it have wall animations such as falls.

But it does have animated flats. And these flats are controlled by the ANIMATED lump, a feature not used in vanilla. So simply, the flats aren't going to be added. Everything else will though (not sure about SUPP02 and SUPP09 though)

Protox said:

for other side having a animadef inside the iwad is not going to hurt any pwad of it load we may say the game is not 100% vannila working (by its owns).

No it won't ruin PWAD compatibility. But think: there is a map, and it uses AQLAVA as one of the flats. Now in vanilla, it won't animate at all, because it doesn't read the ANIMATED lump. Don't you think this would ruin the experience?

Voros said:

No it won't ruin PWAD compatibility. But think: there is a map, and it uses AQLAVA as one of the flats. Now in vanilla, it won't animate at all, because it doesn't read the ANIMATED lump. Don't you think this would ruin the experience?

Why would anyone play a map using a Boom feature in vanilla?

Da Werecat said:

Why would anyone play a map using a Boom feature in vanilla?

That's what im saying! Which is why the animated flats have to be removed entirely.

raymoohawk said:

Found it: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1530667

Dragonfly, I hope your reading this, but upload a version of your map that doesn't use the Aquatex liquids.

And tell me a good slot to put it in. I know C3M5 is empty, but I'm not sure if its appropiate atm. So will map13 suffice?