Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Blunderbust (Star Wars branch)

The Stars Wars hextrilogy has to be the most overrated films ever made in Filmmaking history.

Legacy of Kain (see my thread) had a better storyline than Star Wars.

Fredrik said:

My trolling is others' problem entirely.

Lots of people got their money's worth at the cinema. You didn't. That's your loss.

Arno said:

Lots of people got their money's worth at the cinema. You didn't. That's your loss.

True... but I don't see the relation to what you quoted.

Fredrik said:

True... but I don't see the relation to what you quoted.

I felt like responding to your trolling attempts with the classic anti-troll remark.

Edit: might as well insert my own opinion here, before the thread is derailed any further. I was a bit disappointed in the acting (especially Nathalie Portman's performance), but overall I enjoyed episode III a lot. The CGI looked superb and the connectivity with episode IV was really well done, IMO. One of my favorite scenes is when Palpatine spoke to the senate and announced the birth of the empire.

The more I think about it, the more the movie felt exacly like a game with state of the art graphics and effects, but very poor gameplay. Some stuff was well effected, but overall the film was stilted, pompous and unaesthetically eclectic. The originals did have a degree of this vapidness, but they made up with freshness; some practical originality, and a an overall (geeky) form which was unusual for its time. Plus of course back then I was an impressionable toddler, and the nostalgia counts.

I kind of agree with Fredrik being kind of surprised at people saying the movie was good... perhaps that they liked this or that sounds reasonable, but overall the failings of the film(s) are pretty strong.

I didn't mind much watching the movie, and fortunately saw it on the big screen; I still recall what happened when I saw Episode 1 again on TV, "uh, WTF is this, an endless toy commercial?" Actually, the first of the three gave me the best impression at the theatre... at least you saw Lucas use modern CGI for the first time. Plus it was curiously amusing that Jar Jar was so obviously a rip-off of Larry Elmore's Snarf, a character I was familiar with because I read Dragon magazine in the 80s. For the other two, the novelty was lost even for the CGI.

The acting did make one wonder if some of the actors were perhaps annoyed at the movie and worked only due to and existing contract and the load of money to come, or esle they just felt horrified at Lucas' acting demands. At least Ewan kept himself busied hopping about to and fro with light sabre in hand...

Ralphis said:

EDIT: Oh yea, there was also an episode 7-9 as part of the story as well but I believe it was less significant as it dealt more with eradicating the dark jedi from the galaxy. It involved clones of Luke and Anakin if I remember correctly.

Yeah i heard a while back that in one of the books set after the last movie, Luke got Incinerated by a Thermal Detonator or something.

myk said:

Plus it was curiously amusing that Jar Jar was so obviously a rip-off of Larry Elmore's Snarf, a character I was familiar with because I read Dragon magazine in the 80s.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who recognised that. Also, Larry Elmore is one of the best fantasy artists ever.

Anyway, I personaly thought Episode III was a bit of a drag. I mean, it didn't suck like I and II, but it was very lacking. For one thing, I thought it was horribly rushed, kinda like the HHGTTG movie, like he tried putting the entire plot for the prequels into one movie. He should have just done away with the first one and chopped the second one down considerably then extended the remaining plot out from that. Also, Darth Vader going "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" was one of the corniest moments in cinematic history. I couldn't hlp laughing at it.

Finaly, the end seemed to skip around the most. Like we were seeing events happening in the couple weeks or so following the creation of the Empire and then suddenly there's Darth Vader on a Super-Class Star Destroyer (the Executor I guess) overseeing the begining of the Death Star's construction, surrounded by officers in Imperial uniforms. First off, I don't think they could manufacture a Super-Class Star Destroyer in anything less than maybe a year and a half, if even that quick, and distributing uniforms would take a while as well I do believe. Then there's the Death Star. They built the Death Star II sometime in the 5 or so years between ANH and RotJ, and were about 3/4 done with it, plus it was a lot bigger and more complex than the first one IIRC. But here we see, what was supposed to be 19 years between ANH, the Death Star's skeleton almost complete. From my understanding, it was less than a year old in ANH. GAH! Then to make matters worse, IIRC, the movie ended with Luke still as an infant so either it's less than a year or so after the previous events or they went forward then back in time. *head explodes*

And I'm not even going to start on the inconsistancies between 4-6 and 1-3.

Eh, I like Episode 3, I don't mind any of these "flaws" people find (I never notice anything about acting because I don't look for it, and if you're thinking about it going backwards and forwards in time or whatever obviously you never thought about the idea that it was during the same time :(; also, they probably just hid the death star away for a while until they decided to use it, which is why it's supposedly just finished in Episode 4). Also, as for what happens after Episode 6, there's a whole plethora of fan books that are considered canon that cover stuff like the birth of the New Republic and New Jedi Order, growing distrust of Jedi, and then some invasion by aliens who are called the Yuuzhan Vong who are immune to the force and use biotechnology.

Anyway that was a whole load of nothing I just wrote. To sum it up, I like Episode 3, and Episode 7-9 would retcon loads of stuff if it came out.

Nightmare Doom said:

The Stars Wars hextrilogy has to be the most overrated films ever made in Filmmaking history.

Legacy of Kain (see my thread) had a better storyline than Star Wars.

Star Wars lives on special effects while LoK, being an RPG, lives on it story. :HotWax: