Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

I would so love to get in on this somehow, but I don't have time right now as am working on another project and have to prepare to go back to college. Is there a set deadline for this?

BlueFireZ88 said:

I would so love to get in on this somehow, but I don't have time right now as am working on another project and have to prepare to go back to college. Is there a set deadline for this?

At the moment it's just the end of the year.

If it's ok, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at The Pit. I have an idea on what to do, but I would like some extra time through October (when hopefully I have some more spare time).

I wouldn't mind doing a second map for this as I'm pretty bored around now, but only if and when someone pulls out completely

EDIT: Map 7 V3.3.2

It's just the little details that count :)

- Aligned texture on subterranean (yellow) lift
- Smoother lighting in subterranean area.

I'm playing through the maps available to date while I have some time and I want to offer my thoughts and demos.

MAP01
I had a lot of fun with the chaingun on this level. Excellent Map 01. DEMO

MAP02
Looks promising, but I feel there's a little bit more to do on this. I'm just judging from the first version I downloaded a while back because when I try to get the latest one, Norton blocks me and tells me it's a malicious site... DEMO (I'm aware of the author placing extra keys for testing, so I purposely avoided those.)

MAP04
As I've said before, I love the starting canyon. I'm not terribly fond of running through the lava with lost souls though. Good level. DEMO

MAP05
Nice compact level with a good tough challenge. DEMO

MAP07
Wow Eris, this has level has come a long way from the last time I played it! Kudos for taking all of the feedback on board and improving the level into something pretty darn good! I think a little more has to be done with the exit and the arachnatrons... brutal map. DEMO

Map11 is mostly just architecture so it's hard to get an overall idea, but what I saw I liked.

Map13 is mine so I won't say anything, but here is a demo. This is an UVMax run (or would be if I hadn't missed a couple of armor bonuses!) so be warned that if you don't want to be spoiled, don't watch.

I started on Map15 and tried to demo, but I died 3 times and gave up. It is a great level so far though, very brutal at the start when you have no cover with all of the hitscanners and such. I will not be defeated however (now I know where all the weapons are at ;), and I will get back on the horse again soon...

Since the old link for Map02 "Underhalls" is broken(props to Glenzinho for notifying me) here's the new one.
http://speedy.sh/3jsHQ/uh22.rar

Glenzinho -the demo desyncs with the current version of the map. I have to check if I still have version 20 of the map lying around.

glenzinho said:

MAP07
Wow Eris, this has level has come a long way from the last time I played it! Kudos for taking all of the feedback on board and improving the level into something pretty darn good! I think a little more has to be done with the exit and the arachnatrons... brutal map. DEMO

Thanks a lot man, appreciated. I'll see what I can do with the exit, maybe give them an entrance of sorts. At least I don't have to worry about limits there.

glenzinho said:

This is an UVMax run (or would be if I hadn't missed a couple of armor bonuses!)

Actually UV-Max doesn't require 100% items, only secrets and kills. (plus if there are any resurrectred monsters, you have to kill them too)

Map 7 V3.3.3

Changes

Added a very taunting pyramid in the exit area

Things I wanted to change

Arachnotrons mounted on circular plinths (curse you drawsegs!)

Arachnotrons mounted on dodecagonal plinths (they got stuck)

I really need to get around to finishing up the balance of map29. I sent an alpha to ella guro and apparently she's absolutely speechless or something (doesn't reply) :D In any case i feel kinda bad for needlessly delaying the map so much.

Edit: so have a couple screenshots!
Mock City rooftops. Don't worry, it's impossible to actually fall down.

Mock Church or something. A few of these benches have grown wrong and are misshapen, but doesn anybody in hell actually care?

Remains of a real city, buried under rubble (and for some reason there are spontaneous metal bars everywhere, i guess just rising from the lava on their own to later form carcasses for the Mock City buildings?) (also no, this isn't an error of texturing on that building).

Memfis said:

Actually UV-Max doesn't require 100% items, only secrets and kills. (plus if there are any resurrectred monsters, you have to kill them too)

Cheers Memfis, good to know.. so it IS a UV-Max run!

@_bruce_: I'll check out your updated map a bit later on and record a new demo for it.

@Eris: I didn't check your new version yet, but in the exit hole watch out for the tiling of the sky texture.

@Antroid: Screens are looking ambitious, I like it!

glenzinho said:

@Eris: I didn't check your new version yet, but in the exit hole watch out for the tiling of the sky texture.

Ah yeah yeah yeah, if I find it's still really apparent, I might even extend/expand the pyramid, it could do with being taller perhaps but maybe instead I could shrink the hole (to 24x24 squares rather than 32x32) and get those spiders on the plinths

EDIT: 3.3.4 is finished, but I don't know about those spiders. They do attack eventually if you don't shoot them, but the time it takes, I'm not sure if I should upload it yet. The plinths are larger than the box shown for Arachnotrons in DB2, and they still seem to be stuck.
I'd also like to say that I had cracked 2000 sidedefs, but alas, the total count right now is 1978.

If "The Pit" is still available, I already have a rough design for it. That is, if you wish to assign it to me.

First the screenshots (remember, this is a very early and rough design):

The First Room (I might change this to match how MAP08 ends for consistency).
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/PIT1.png

Through the door to the cave opening.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/PIT2.png

The cliff from which you can see the whole area.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/PIT3.png

The entire area seen from the cliff.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/PIT4.png

The concept is that the UAC is studying a volcanic crater (nicknamed "The Pit") which was formed when a meteorite struck the Earth thousands of years ago. Ruins of a forgotten civilization stood where the crater struck, and the people made extinct because of the cataclysm. Miraculously, many of the temples and ruins survived, even when submerged by the lava which lines the crater floor. The UAC has set up a working research post on a crater cliff side to study the ruins in detail and hopefully learn much about this lost civilization. However, with the demon invasion of Earth, all of the personnel were slaughter, and now only the hellions remain.

Map07 V3.3.4

Changes

All have been on exit area:

All skill arachnotrons are moved to the back of courtyard, and are in cages (they're stuck but that isn't a major problem, see below.)

The front two arachnotrons (also stuck) only appear on UV, on HMP they are 2 Revenants, and on ITYTD they are 2 Hell Knights.

The exit diamond has been replaced by a pool of blood, with a hole in the middle, a bit like a moat for the pyramid. Killing all the arachnotrons will raise the hole (Entering the diamond is now NOT the exit).
Now with the pyramid complete, the BFG is supposedly accessible. Only when you go to try and take it, you trigger the exit linedef. Guess you're going to have to wait to get that gun.

EDIT: Comical Screenshot

ella guro said:

what kind of map would "The Crusher" be, or "'O' of Destruction!"? who knows?

Its pretty obvious that almost all the titles are perverted/sexual in nature.

All of these refer to the anus:
entryway, the waste tunnels, the pit, 'o' of destruction, downtown, the inmost dens, the chasm.
"the living end" obviously refers to the glans penis, and "the crusher" is a guy's pet name for his enormous dick. The icon of sin is obviously the penis.
Then there's the references to chicks with dicks: tricks and traps, and gotcha.
Nirvana refers to orgasm. Wolfenstein is wolf beastiality and monster condo is perverted monster cosplay.

yeah, thats exactly what ID were thinking? How old are you, and how do you explain: Tenements, Bloodfalls, The Focus...

Eris, it seems you are improving. That shot looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than your first attempt to MAP07.

Thanks Kata. Even I think that the original V3 of Map07 looked like shit (dont get me started on V1 and 2...), now I've done this.

gggmork said:

monster condo is perverted monster cosplay.

It's obviously a typo, the real title is "Monster Condom".

Eris Falling said:

Map07 V3.3.4

Changes

All have been on exit area:

All skill arachnotrons are moved to the back of courtyard, and are in cages (they're stuck but that isn't a major problem, see below.)

The front two arachnotrons (also stuck) only appear on UV, on HMP they are 2 Revenants, and on ITYTD they are 2 Hell Knights.

The exit diamond has been replaced by a pool of blood, with a hole in the middle, a bit like a moat for the pyramid. Killing all the arachnotrons will raise the hole (Entering the diamond is now NOT the exit).
Now with the pyramid complete, the BFG is supposedly accessible. Only when you go to try and take it, you trigger the exit linedef. Guess you're going to have to wait to get that gun.

EDIT: Comical Screenshot

Im so going to make the inaccesible BFG a running thing.

I had made it as a precursor to Tricks and Traps. I originally had some sort of hellish decoration on top of it, but thought...

"Wait, I'm not allowed to put a BFG in my map...how about a fake one to lead into map08..."

Offtopic somewhat, but in my wad-in-progress i have this in a secret, fake and inacessable! Great minds think alike :D (there's also a bit of a joke about it in map02 but that's spoiling too much)