Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

NEW BETA: SF3_C

Slaughterfest 3
The saga continues. sf3 is a community project that anyone can join, the goal is a megawad of slaughter maps that will be compiled at the end of the year. Previous years have yielded some great maps and demos from some of the best doomers around, so hopefully the madness can keep rolling into 2013!

The Specifics:
- boom compatible (prb+ cl9)
- add difficulty settings
- add coop starts
- use sky transfers if you want a custom sky
- no nazis
- custom midi are allowed
- custom textures are allowed, below are some suggested resources:

The chainsaw will be replaced by the infinite ammo BFG, so only place the chainsaw if you want players to have the infinite BFG.

It's generally understood that these maps are intended to be played from pistol-start, but it's still encouraged to have a death-exit in your map if it includes the infinite BFG.

Old OP stuff:

Spoiler

Signing up:
You can feel free to join as a mapper, playtester, demo-recorder, layout-designer, or any combination of the above. It's required that mappers have playtested their submissions, and it's very likely that a submission will receive gameplay feedback or demos from others. At the end of the year the maps will probably be arranged roughly in order of difficulty, but please make a note ahead of time if you wish to claim a special mapslot (07, 15, 30+). In the event that we have a plethora of extra submissions (as was the case in sf12), we'll vote at the end of the year to put our favorite submissions into the main wad, and the others will be placed in a second wad.

///////////////////////////////////
// M A P   S U B M I S S I O N S //
///////////////////////////////////

2013/01/18 - Temple Arena - Ribbiks - v2 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/01/20 - Firestarter - Cannonball - v3 - post (sf11-tex)
2013/01/29 - Joyless - Dannebubinga - v2 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/02/13 - Butt - gggmork - v2 - post
2013/02/16 - Poop - gggmork - v1 - post
2013/03/02 - Castle of the Damned - TimeOfDeath - v1 - post
2013/03/04 - Gut Buster - Krispy - v4 - post - (cc4-tex)
2013/03/27 - Mult - gggmork - v1 - post
2013/04/08 - Daiyu's Chamber - Daiyu_Xiaoxiang - v5 - post
2013/05/13 - Pathogen - Darkreaver - v3 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/05/14 - Desecration - Rayzik - v4 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/05/14 - Wavebreaker - Cannonball - v3 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/05/20 - Red Recluse - ArmouredBlood - v4 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/05/21 - Metastasizing Slaughterfest - Daiyu_Xiaoxiang - v4 - post
2013/05/25 - Trick or Cheat - __Lagger__ - v1 - post (-file SF2012b.wad toc_v1.wad)
2013/05/27 - The Farthest Reach - Rayzik - v2.1 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/06/03 - Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth - TimeOfDeath - v2 - post
2013/06/23 - Three Lines - Phml - v2 - post
2013/06/25 - Shanghai Massacre 1927 - Daiyu_Xiaoxiang - v2 - post
2013/06/26 - Exodus Remix - Grain of Salt - v1 - post (sf12 textures included in wad)
2013/07/15 - dholes - TimeOfDeath - v2 - post
2013/07/24 - Aquafresh Crescents - Hurricyclone - v2 - post (nb_recol)
2013/08/25 - Pacman - __Lagger__ - v3 - post (pm-tex.wad included)
2013/09/06 - Insane Trip Part I - darkdave1985 - v5 - post
2013/09/07 - Broken Mind - Archi - v3 - post (SF2011-tex)
2013/09/12 - Assault on UAC Base 13 - Phendrena - v2 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/09/23 - Untitled - Phml - v2 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/10/12 - Fierce Attack - tatsurd-cacocaco - v2 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/10/26 - Evil Battlefield of Demons - tatsurd-cacocaco - v1 - post (cc4-tex)
2013/12/17 - Meet A Bear - Dannebubinga - v1 - post (sf11-tex)
2013/12/17 - Rayzik's Slaughterday - Cannonball - v1 - post
2013/12/21 - Chaos Slaughter - Solarn - v1 - post (sf2013pr-tex_v2)
2013/12/25 - Yonahe - Phml - v2 - post
2014/06/15 - Blagggmf - Phml - v5 - post
2014/08/04 - Chronoblast - Archi - v4 - post (tentative map30)
2014/08/15 - Via Tortuosa - Demonologist - v1 - post (q1tex)
2014/08/26 - With Fist In Hand - kraflab - v2 - post (q1tex)

Tentative addition:
2014/06/15 - Iron Fortress - Omnistar - v1 - post (sf2013pr-tex_v2, currently this map is for zdoom only)

CREDITS:

• Mapping:
    - Archi
    - ArmouredBlood
    - Cannonball
    - Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
    - Dannebubinga
    - darkdave1985
    - Darkreaver
    - Grain of Salt
    - gggmork
    - Hurricyclone
    - kraflab
    - Krispy
    - __Lagger__
    - Omnistar
    - Phendrena
    - Phml
    - Rayzik
    - Ribbiks
    - Solarn
    - tatsurd-cacocaco
    - TimeOfDeath

• Playtesting:
    - ArmouredBlood
    - Dannebubinga
    - Demonologist
    - gggmork
    - __Lagger__
    - j4rio
    - jongo
    - Memfis
    - Nevan
    - Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 2012 thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/58354-slaughterfest-2012-almost-there/

Slaughterfest 2011 thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/56335-slaughterfest-2011/

LATEST BETA: sf3_b5b.wad

Edited by Ribbiks

I'd be interested in having a go. Just working my way through 2011 at the moment.

I also have a map that I started for SF2012 but never finished, I'll try to finish it for this one if my mapper's block ever goes away.

I have only been WADding(is that a word?Eh, I don't give a fuck.)for a few months, so this may be fun to try. Might push back my other wad but whatever.

Hmm, I meant to get a beta of Slaughterguns out before this year's fest began, but year-end craziness (and the 'Wards) took up a lot more time than I thought. Still too early to ask "is it too late?" though, since it's not too useful without a beta release. ;P

Xaser said:

Hmm, I meant to get a beta of Slaughterguns out before this year's fest began, but year-end craziness (and the 'Wards) took up a lot more time than I thought. Still too early to ask "is it too late?" though, since it's not too useful without a beta release. ;P

I'm open to incorporating the mod if the mappers like it. Though I'd definitely be interested in seeing a beta of some sort before casting my vote either way. I like that you intend to keep the core weapons as is, so as long as the new ones aren't grossly imbalanced I think it could make an interesting addition.

Complications may of course arise if maps are designed without the mod in mind (including those which may be already in progress), seeing as it replaces/re-orders weapons. So I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.

Just one question: Custom midis? Are they allowed? Cause I have a map called Crazy Train......

Ribbiks said:

I'm open to incorporating the mod if the mappers like it. Though I'd definitely be interested in seeing a beta of some sort before casting my vote either way. I like that you intend to keep the core weapons as is, so as long as the new ones aren't grossly imbalanced I think it could make an interesting addition.

Complications may of course arise if maps are designed without the mod in mind (including those which may be already in progress), seeing as it replaces/re-orders weapons. So I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.

They would simply be included after the normal ones. The bigger issue is having some maps using the infinite bfg and others using the new weapons. Unless, xaser, you want to leave the chainsaw alone.

I would be down to make a map with these new weapons, definitely need a beta to decide how to map it though.

If we decide to go with it, I'll make an alternate BEX that has the infinite BFG in the chainsaw slot so same rules can apply ;)

Thanks for the consideration! I'll put up a beta soonish, so hopefully we can bring it up to snuff.

I got bored this morning so I made a map. It's a small arena inspired by GoS and ggg's sf11 submissions:

Temple Arena v1 (requires cc4-tex)

It's pretty tough on UV so try out HMP if it gives you trouble.

edit: here's a uv-max for the map

The one thing I thought about this map was that it was a little on the bumpy side which I know gets on some peoples nerves, otherwise a short but sweet level.
Oh yeah I am making a short map at the moment. Every slaughterfest will have a short map with severe abuse of qmetal textures haha

Ribbiks you definitely should use some transfer heights on that first room. I can't run it too well right now because of a big download, but those 'icy' bumps definitely affect dodging. More when I get done with it ...

is that a port or complevel thing? I don't seem to have too many problems in prb, but of course I'm willing to flatten it out if others find it annoying. I've never used transfer heights before so I'll look into that

edit: ok nvm I see what you mean, I'll smooth it out.

ArmouredBlood said:

Ribbiks you definitely should use some transfer heights on that first room. I can't run it too well right now because of a big download, but those 'icy' bumps definitely affect dodging. More when I get done with it ...

wow, wish I'd known about this trick before.

Hello

Try this. It's not finished, so some feedback would be nice. I tried to rip off HR24, it turned out uglier and easier.

use cc4-tex

edit: dunno why the hell I get slimetrails in the main room. All sectors are closed etc. Updated the link

dannebubinga said:

Hello

Try this. It's not finished, so some feedback would be nice. I tried to rip off HR24, it turned out uglier and easier.

Well I duno about easier, that took me about 2 hours to get through! The one bit that really made me struggle was the pain elementals and cacos. I squandered my bfg ammo too early, so was trying to kill them all with rockets, painful...

I liked the chill-out room with the medkits, I do like a map that lets me hide now and then to catch my breath.

I had a go at Ribbiks map but it kicked my arse too hard. You guys will probably find anything that I make childishly easy by comparison.

FDA for temple.

It was a bit bumpy like the others said. You really captured a true Grain of Salt feeling there. A pretty fun map, but I didn't really feel any need to replay it heh. I don't think you need to fix anything more than the bumpieness. Maybe put some pistol ammo here and there in case you run out of ammo before the exit is opened.

dannebubinga said:

FDA for temple.

It was a bit bumpy like the others said. You really captured a true Grain of Salt feeling there. A pretty fun map, but I didn't really feel any need to replay it heh.

nice demo! I'm not too disappointed if the re-playability isn't very high, it was just a one-off map that I made in a couple hours. I do think it's possible to max extremely quickly though (2:xx) if you get risky with the switches. I'll probably just smooth it out, add a smidge more ammo and call it a day.

dannebubinga said:

uglier than HR? that's an accomplishment in itself :p

Anyways yeah, map seems really difficult at first, but there are an abundance of safe-spots where you can pick off all the enemies perched all over the place, and you can avoid several encounters by just jumping down and tele'ing back to the center. Here's a somewhat interesting route idea I came up with, I do think the map would be pretty fun to max (I had no idea what to do after hitting the 3 key switches in that demo so I just kinda wandered and died).

Temple Arena v2 (probably final)

- made everything smooth
- added coop starts
- added ITYTD/HNTR difficulties

hot damn transfer heights is amazing, can incessantly detail things without compromising gameplay. Can't believe I didn't know about this before.

mouldy said:

I had a go at Ribbiks map but it kicked my arse too hard. You guys will probably find anything that I make childishly easy by comparison.

Don't feel obligated to make a super-hard map, I'm sure we'll be needing plenty of submissions for early spots in the wad :)

dannebubinga said:

Hello

use cc4-tex

edit: dunno why the hell I get slimetrails in the main room. All sectors are closed etc. Updated the link

Yeah this brings back memories, having to jump in the blood for cover before being completely slaughtered. It looks ok, so did post mortem in my opinion, not much could be done with the textures used. Look forward to seeing this completed

Thanks for the demo Ribbiks. The way you played it was sort of what I had in mind while testing it. I think I have to make it harder to increase the rape-factor that made HR24 so great. I'm also thinking about adding a final fight to end the map to tone down the total rip-off factor.

How you didn't understand where to go after pushing the RK switch is beyond me. But I guess I have to consider it a mapping flaw :P

Cannonball: Thanks

Yeah, short and easy maps are definitely welcome. I'd personally prefer short ones because they take less time to make, playtest, tweak and are more fun to speedrun.