Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gardevoir

New Super Shitty Map Contest!

Hello there dear DoomWorld community, I am happy to announce once again that...

The Shitty Map Contest #4 is about to begin!

Starting from July 1st, a new Shitty Map Contest is going to begin! As some of you might remember from previous year, what this contest is about is making terrible Single Player/Multiplayer Coop Player vs Monsters maps. The idea started back in the day on Skulltag forums and in the previous year we managed to gather a nice (read it as very shitty) amount of 30 maps! This year we will try to accomplish the same thing.
So, here are the rules for anyone that is interested:

1) The contest begins on the 1st and ends on the 23rd of July. (Judging all maps might take another week.)
2) If you want to sign up for the contest, post in the thread.
3) You can sign up from 1st to the 21st of July. From that moment you can submit your maps to 23rd, however, if you won't manage to submit your maps before 23rd you will be disqualified.
4) You can submit a map by posting a link to it on forums or by PMing the organizers, if you want to keep them as a secret*.
5) You have to call your maps. While posting your maps, please include a name. You can do that by simply stating the name of the map in the post/PM, or by setting a name of your .wad file, or you can use MAPINFO in order to do that**.
6) Only 1 map per contestant. Once posted, you cannot do any changes to it.
7) Maps have to be made from scratch.
8) Maps must use DOOM2 as an IWAD.
9) All map formats will be welcome. (However, please, do not abuse 3d floors or dynamic lights)
10) Maps must be made for Single Player/Coop players vs monsters gamemode.
11) Maps must contain an exit.
12) Maps have to be doable without use of cheats. (Unless they piss us off enough to do that.)
13) No custom content allowed. (Unless you are using Doom2 resources as base, Decorate lumps are allowed.)
14) Before submitting a map, please tell in the thread that you want to sign up for the contest, it really makes managing the contestants list way easier for me.

*All maps sent to us will be revealed upon the end of the contest. We might also put them inside one wad and release them as a Megawad. (If we manage to get so many maps, of course.)
**MAPINFO is optional. You don't have to include it.

We welcome all mapping talents! We want the whole community to join this event! No matter if you just learned how to do a map, you already know how to do them, or you are a mapping god, we want everyone to try. So, when the sign ups start, do your best people (or worst) and remember, we do this for fun ;)

If you got any questions, feel free to ask.

Main topic at Zandronum forums : http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4931

What defines 'shitty'? Broken triggers? Bad monster placement? Unbeatable gameplay? Poor aesthetics? Best joke/troll map material?

Better question is, how does such a thing make for a contest? Unless the contest is 'best joke map', there's neither meaningful skill involved to intentionally produce such a thing, and judging it is beyond the normal subjectivity expected for any contest.

Maybe being a 'shitty' contest is meant to fit the theme...?

I don't get it. What is the point of trying the make the worst wad possible? Won't this just results in lots an lots of shitty box room wads filled with HOMS and cyberdemons?

I mean I guess it is technically possible to make something that is utterly horrible and yet still interesting like the infamous UACMN, but I bet that 99% of the wads that will come out of this project will just be the typical shitty first level ever style wads that people have seen a billion times before.

The point is to make something so uniquely shitty that it will make you not want to play this wad again, obviously. Maps have to be "bad", that means have either retarded or just plain bad gameplay, terrible or lazy design or just be awfully hard by including tons of traps that will make you throw your pc through your window. But yeah, I hope people will actually be creative, pretty much why this is a contest, not just some generic shitty mappack. Jokemaps are fine, HOMage abuse is alright, everything is alright as long as it is bad. But lemme once again say the word CREATIVE.

If anyone is interested, here's the wad from the previous year for some inspiration: http://static.best-ever.org/wads/smcpack.wad

The point is to have fun, as far as I'm concerned. Common sense and logic are not very welcome here I think. :)

If I wanted to play a mapset so shitty I couldn't lay hands on it again, I'd play KDIZD.

But I won't because I can't lay my hands on it again.

Gardevoir said:

The point is to make something so uniquely shitty that it will make you not want to play this wad again

But the thing is, even GOOD wads are almost never played again by most people. Besides the classics, most people will just play each wad once and then never touch it again, even if it is actually fine.

But whatever, I guess there is no harm in this project. I guess I can make something shitty in my spare-time before the end of the next month. Sign me up.

Marnetmar said:

If I wanted to play a mapset so shitty I couldn't lay hands on it again, I'd play KDIZD.

But I won't because I can't lay my hands on it again.

What was so horrible about KDIZD?

Oh, so you're talking about maps that succeed in legitimately offending players purely through design. Ideally through succeeding in building expectations, and then succeeding in destroying them in spectacular fashion, but preferably keeping the player able to remain engaged to be further subjected to such abuse.

Not so much a map with 'shitty' elements as a map that creates a 'shitty' experience, I guess would be my understanding.

Okay guys, the time has come! You can now start sending me your turdy maps. If you didn't sign up for the contest yet, do so now! Sign ups end on the 21st while last day for submitting your maps is 23rd. Remember about that as I am not going to accept any maps after the 23rd!

Why does it have to be "super" shitty? Is shitty not off-putting enough? Are you trying to make it even shittier than the previous incarnation of this project?

I'm pretty sure it's similar to when Nintendo released remakes of every popular NES game on the SNES, just with "Super" smushed on the front. It's kind of fun to watch this one, though.

Well guys, this summer is busy for me and I must leave for another 2 weeks and so, I give everyone two more weeks for their map submittions, that's 'till 4th of August. I hope everyone will submit their maps when I'm back!

Thanks for uh... submission. Time to submit your maps has ended. We're gonna try to judge all the maps as fast as we can!

Gardevoir said:

Thanks for uh... submission. Time to submit your maps has ended. We're gonna try to judge all the maps as fast as we can!

Yeah, really! What was the problem to waste 10 minutes on a map?