Advanced engine needed : Strong limit-removing (>32k seg limit)
Primary purpose : Single player
Title : Breach
Filename : breach.wad
Release date : 2017-12-29
Author : Viggles
Email Address : [redacted]
Other Files By Author : Brigandine (2017 Cacoward winner) and a handful
of enthusiastically bad deathmatch wads from the
Misc. Author Info : Iâ€™m an iOS developer for a living and make
Boxer (http://boxerapp.com), a DOSBox emulator
port for OS X. This was my first Doom map in
about 20 years.
Description : Sprawling techbase medley with surreal interludes
in hell. Assume the usual twaddle about
teleportation research gone awry.
This was an exercise in using the original Doom 2
textures and specials to build something very
modern: with intricate spaces, long vistas and a
bunch of half-assed environmental storytelling.
Inspired by No Rest for the Living, Visions of
Eternity, Vaporware Demo and Metroid Prime.
(This represents about half of the map I had
planned before I hit the seg limit; I may finish
the second half at some point before the Earth
finally plunges into the Sun.)
Additional Credits : Music by Conelrad: http://conelrad.co.uk
Jani SaarijÃ¤rvi for playtesting and invaluable
The Doomworld forums for playtesting and vital
My wife, for her unending patience.
* What is included *
New levels : 1
Sounds : No
Music : Yes (OGG format)
Graphics : 99% vanilla plus a couple of all-black textures
Dehacked/BEX Patch : No
Demos : No
Other : No
Other files required : None
* Play Information *
Game : DOOM2
Map # : MAP01
Single Player : Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player : Player starts only
Deathmatch 2-4 Player : No
Other game styles : No
Difficulty Settings : Yes
Play Notes : Moderate difficulty and designed for rambo-style
play, so don't be shy. Mouselook not required.
Jumping disabled in ZDoom ports to prevent some
100% completionists: there are several areas
you cannot return to after leaving them. These
areas contain no items however, and any monsters
you encounter within them will always get killed
or follow you out.
* Construction *
Base : New from scratch
Build Time : About 5 months spread over 1.5 years.
Editor(s) used : Doombuilder 2, GZDoomBuilder 2.3, Slade 3
Known Bugs : Slow loading and poor performance in Doomsday.
A few slime trails here and there.
May Not Run With : Vanilla/Chocolate Doom, insufficiently
Tested With : ZDoom 2.7.1, GZDoom 1.9.1, Zandronum 3.0alpha,
Doom Retro 2.5, PrBoom+ 18.104.22.168,
Eternity 3.34.37, Doomsday 1.15.0
* Copyright / Permissions *
Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse. Permissions have been obtained from original
authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.
You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with
no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic
format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file
intact. I have received permission from the original authors of any
modified or included content in this file to allow further distribution.
* Where to get the file that this text file describes *
* Version History *
idgames release (2017-12-29):
- Music by Conelrad: http://conelrad.co.uk
- New titlepic.
- Obsessive-compulsive texture realignment.
- Tidied up fussy architecture.
- Made automap more readable.
- Tweaked some encounters to increase challenge.
- Reduced health, armor and ammo on UV.
- Tore out some geometry for better mobility.
- Reworked an annoying do-or-die jump in Hell.
- Made elevators less glitchable.
- Fixed overloud moving sectors.
- Switched around a couple of secrets.
- Sundry fit-and-finish improvements.
- Redesigned many encounters to make them more interesting and challenging.
- Added more ammo back in to compensate for higher UV/HMP difficulty.
- Revised central chamber to improve mobility and guide the player better.
- Made rocket launcher pickup more obvious.
- Switched from ZDBSP to ZenNode to fix egregious slime trails in PrBoom+.
- Reduced bumpiness of piston room floor.
- Cosmetic fixes and detailing improvements.
- Fixed broken elevators, exit door and berserk trap in PrBoom+.
- Fixed floating things and misaligned textures in PrBoom+.
- Fixed soul sphere secret in PrBoom+ and Eternity.
- Fixed pickups and decorations that had incorrect difficulty levels.
- Fixed a few slime trails.
- Prevented lost souls from triggering player teleport trap.
- Corrected music and level name in PrBoom+.
- Reduced health and ammo on UV.
- Tweaked encounter balance a little.
- First release