Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Anyone else feels the VX is worse?

Perhaps it's just me but after watching the gameplay footage I can't help but find the VX (the explosions, the gore/gibbing) somewhat lackluster compared to Doom 2016. I know the game isn't out yet so perhaps it will improve, but I can't be the only one who has noticed this? Enemies just sort of pop into a bunch of giblets in a rather boring way which wasn't the case in Doom 2016, and the barrel explosions don't look as cool.

Remember the Doom 2016 reveal? The visuals there were much worse than the final product. The only thing that irks me is that some of the enemies look a bit cartoonish (the comically glowing eyes on the zombiemen, for example) and some of the colors seem slightly too vibrant, if that makes any sense. Maybe I'm just too used to dull, grey first person shooters.

The plasma rifle sure looks a hell of a ton more satisfying than it was in Doom '16, especially the effect when an enemy is killed by it.

The chunks of flesh falling off enemies also looks great.

1 minute ago, wheresthebeef said:

The plasma rifle sure looks a hell of a ton more satisfying than it was in Doom '16, especially the effect when an enemy is killed by it.

The chunks of flesh falling off enemies also looks great.

Maybe it's the effects, but it feels like the plasma rifle is also just more powerful than the last game. In 2016 it turned every enemy into a bullet sponge.

34 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Perhaps it's just me but after watching the gameplay footage I can't help but find the VX (the explosions, the gore/gibbing) somewhat lackluster compared to Doom 2016. I know the game isn't out yet so perhaps it will improve, but I can't be the only one who has noticed this? Enemies just sort of pop into a bunch of giblets in a rather boring way which wasn't the case in Doom 2016, and the barrel explosions don't look as cool.

16 minutes ago, Gothic Box said:

Remember the Doom 2016 reveal? The visuals there were much worse than the final product.

This is probably due to the fact that blood splattering decals haven't quite been implemented yet, making it look like the enemies are made of plasticine. The exact same thing happened with the E3 2015 reveal of D2016, and that was pretty much all fixed up by the time the final game came out.

It's interesting how in 2016 everyone complained it wasn't colorful enough and now it's "too colorful."  Looks fine to me both the gore system and the art style.  The plasma rifle in particular is several leagues ahead of the one from 2016.

20 hours ago, STILES said:

It's interesting how in 2016 everyone complained it wasn't colorful enough and now it's "too colorful."  Looks fine to me both the gore system and the art style.  The plasma rifle in particular is several leagues ahead of the one from 2016.

There was the whole yellow filter controversy. 

On 8/11/2018 at 8:51 AM, Gothic Box said:

Maybe it's the effects, but it feels like the plasma rifle is also just more powerful than the last game. In 2016 it turned every enemy into a bullet sponge.

Well the 2016 PR was weapon slot 3, this will probably be back in the later half, life the PR from 93. Hopefully, it won't use the same ammo as the gauss-replacing ballista.

4 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

Well the 2016 PR was weapon slot 3, this will probably be back in the later half, life the PR from 93. Hopefully, it won't use the same ammo as the gauss-replacing ballista.

The Eternal Plasma gun is in the same slot as the one in 2016 one.

The gore fx remind me a little of what they looked like in the E3 2015 demo of Doom 4 - it ended up much better in the release version, so I'm not worried.

I remember the effects in the 2014 Quakecon reveal of Doom, and how some of them looked noticeably unfinished---particularly stuff like flames and embers. Then they looked significantly better in 2015, and polished and refined by the time the game came out in 2016.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the past is any indication, they'll take their time to make sure they polish everything up.