Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pieruskwurje

Insanity Edged

9 hours ago, Pieruskwurje said:

I threw this together in a couple minutes. It should probably work???

This has been fixed. Ironic that this softlock was caused not by a tree, but the lack thereof.

Codicil.

Thanks for putting this together, it works mostly fine unless I pick up a chainsaw - it breaks the game. I checked the weapons with idkfa and the chainsaw is not there by default it seems.

2 hours ago, Doman said:

Thanks for putting this together, it works mostly fine unless I pick up a chainsaw - it breaks the game. I checked the weapons with idkfa and the chainsaw is not there by default it seems.

Fixed. It should now just add the normal Doom chainsaw with the rest of the arsenal.

9 hours ago, Pieruskwurje said:

Fixed. It should now just add the normal Doom chainsaw with the rest of the arsenal.

Nice, thank you for this !

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention since I'm done with the mod now: I found another softlock in MAP07. It's right after the intro section, you step through the first big gate and enter the "open world area". If you immediately go to the right and jump up the few trees / hills, you can climb so high that you can get past the invisible walls and fall all the way down into the water, with no way of coming back. At first I thought it was intentional and there might be something hidden down there but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's probably not the only place where you can do it but I didn't mess around too much.

First off, just wanna say I was ecstatic to hear that a continuation to Winter's Fury was made from Icarus and after giving it a play myself, it was spectacular. Everything from map design, encounters, story, and the hidden logs/lore has been fantastic.

Secondly, I have a question about map 08...

Spoiler

I've been searching high and low for the last log, even began spawning power-ups in the transition corridors to mark which ones I've already traveled to, and I can't seem to figure out how to get the last log. The last log in question sits on the "C"/"E" spot in the central terminal area. Am I just missing something obvious or is there a secret switch I need to hit? Or is the switch where one of the skull keys can spawn not supposed to be touched to access the log I'm looking for?

17 hours ago, bowserknight said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention since I'm done with the mod now: I found another softlock in MAP07. It's right after the intro section, you step through the first big gate and enter the "open world area". If you immediately go to the right and jump up the few trees / hills, you can climb so high that you can get past the invisible walls and fall all the way down into the water, with no way of coming back. At first I thought it was intentional and there might be something hidden down there but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's probably not the only place where you can do it but I didn't mess around too much.

Yet another one...

I'll make an update soon that fixes the rest of these softlocks.

4 hours ago, SportsterV90 said:

Sadly softlock there is at the very end of the first map. Jumping down of the final elevator w/o activating it leads to noexit area.

Could you give me a bit more information about this? A screenshot maybe? I can't seem to reproduce this on the latest version.

4 hours ago, Commander204 said:

Secondly, I have a question about map 08...

Reveal hidden contents

I've been searching high and low for the last log, even began spawning power-ups in the transition corridors to mark which ones I've already traveled to, and I can't seem to figure out how to get the last log. The last log in question sits on the "C"/"E" spot in the central terminal area. Am I just missing something obvious or is there a secret switch I need to hit? Or is the switch where one of the skull keys can spawn not supposed to be touched to access the log I'm looking for?

Thanks for playing. I'm really glad you thoroughly enjoyed it!

Spoiler

So the letters that appear in the centre are DYKLCR, so I'm assuming it's the C section we're talking about. The letters in order correspond to the order they're found in, so C refers to MAP05. Search the area that resembles parts of MAP05. Most of the logs are fairly obvious, and don't require any secret switches or anything like that, so you may just be overlooking something! If you're still not sure, read the next spoiler.

Spoiler

There's a pool of blood that you can swim down into between the MAP05 and MAP04 connections, I believe the log you are missing is at the bottom of that pool.

1 hour ago, Pieruskwurje said:

Thanks for playing. I'm really glad you thoroughly enjoyed it!

Reveal hidden contents

There's a pool of blood that you can swim down into between the MAP05 and MAP04 connections, I believe the log you are missing is at the bottom of that pool.

I'm not gonna lie, the thought never crossed my mind as I have a terrible distrust and dislike for games with an already dark lighting putting me in those kinds of situations. xD
Even Dusk had be dreading going through such parts but I knew they were necessary for game progression. Masterfully done all the same. Next time I'll try to get it without loading into a game and getting an "unknown texture: IE_Part2_Played" prompt. xD

Thank you for the hint, my guy. :)

I've uploaded a new version that fixes the previously mentioned possible softlocks, and also made some additional improvements to the menu for ease of access. Details below:

Spoiler
  • Added a "Controls" section to the Mod Setup menu, which includes all the controls you need to play the mod. Just means you don't have to dig into the gigantic GZDoom controls section to set them up in case you normally don't play with jumping or crouching, for example.
  • Impassable walls added in MAP07 to prevent you from falling into an inescapable pit.
  • A tree has been added in MAP05 to allow you to escape the softlock on the side of the road.
  • Other minor improvements; I honestly can't remember anything else! I guess that's a good thing.

Thank you again everyone for providing feedback and reporting bugs. With your help, I've been able to get the mod to be an enjoyable and clean experience for players yet to give it a shot. I'm hoping this is the last time I need to update it for the foreseeable future, but rest assured, more will be coming in the future, even if they're just quiet updates.

I'm sure fixing these stray softlocks has been frustrating, but I was actually super impressed by how many you already prevented before the public release. I spent a ton of time parkouring all over everything in my playthroughs and it felt like you'd foreseen every dumb thing I tried to do -- there was always some little tree to get me out of low spots or something blocking where you didn't want me to go.

@Pieruskwurje

Could you answer a few questions:

1) What's the reason behind options for parts 2 and 3 in the "New game" menu warping you to different maps depending on whether or not you completed certain parts? It really confused me because I haven't (sadly) finished the entire mod yet, and part 3 option warped me to MAP03 while part 2 option warped me to MAP00, which is AFTER MAP03 (I wanted to divide levels in DoomWiki article by parts as in the WF page but scrapped that idea for now).

2) MAPINFO refers to levels that don't exist: MAP32 and MAYBE. Are these leftovers from the development stage?

3) What's the MAP06 for?

Spoiler

4) Do you prefer the nickname Pieruskwurje or Pyroscourge to be used on your DoomWiki page?

5) Have you created MAP36 of 32in24-6? (always wanted to ask about this, it is attributed to StarScream)

7 hours ago, Nockson said:

Could you answer a few questions:

Spoiler
  • The part selection initially treats parts 2 and 3 as maps 02 and 03 to hide the fact that there's more than just 3 maps, as per the opening post. The reasoning is just thematic. As you get further in the mod, these parts will 'unlock' and will warp to their appropriate levels instead. Once you reach MAP00, part 2 updates, and once you reach MAP07, part 3 updates. The menu itself still says they warp to MAP02 and 03 unfortunately as the menu isn't very dynamic through MENUDEF modifications. You can still separate them by part, just consider the parts as what they become after completion; there's not much use in separating them into parts if it's just 1 map per part.
  • MAP32 is defined only so it shows up for people who use the "listmaps" command in gzdoom at the bottom of the list. It's inclusion is intentional despite not being a real map. Make what you will from that information!
  • MAYBE was originally a devmap, but I also made the intentional choice to leave the definition in for similar reasons as above.
  • MAP06 is for people curious enough to warp to it. The real MAP06 is in MAP05. If that's considered real either.
  • Probably better to use Pieruskwurje now.
  • ...I definitely remember contributing to a 32-in-24 years and years ago, but I can't remember! I'll check this and get back to you. EDIT: Yes, unfortunately, I did make MAP36 of 32-in-24 6 in 2008.

Edited by Pieruskwurje

On 9/30/2023 at 12:26 PM, Not Jabba said:

I'm sure fixing these stray softlocks has been frustrating, but I was actually super impressed by how many you already prevented before the public release. I spent a ton of time parkouring all over everything in my playthroughs and it felt like you'd foreseen every dumb thing I tried to do -- there was always some little tree to get me out of low spots or something blocking where you didn't want me to go.

I may have beta tested, but no single person is going to nail them all. Just have to hope for the best to break the mod as much as possible in the hopes you can catch them.

Spoiler

i've reached map07 so far, gotta say that this has been an absolutely fantastic experience, i cant quite believe what i've seen and i am not sure of what i've seen to be honest

Is it just me or is the wad the most demanding GZDOOM wad? 

Having a lot of fun with it, but even on my i7 13700 and 4090 it’s dipping into the low hundreds on my fps counter. 

Any suggestions for boosting performance?

6 hours ago, nobleflame said:

Is it just me or is the wad the most demanding GZDOOM wad? 

Having a lot of fun with it, but even on my i7 13700 and 4090 it’s dipping into the low hundreds on my fps counter. 

Any suggestions for boosting performance?

Potential simple solutions is to reduce the resolution you play on, or turn off extras like ambient occlusion or FFXA or even bloom (even if the mod recommends to turn it on). Changing Rendering Quality to speed instead of quality helps a lot too, as does using Vulkan as the Preferred Rending API.

Generally the areas that get slow are less to do with your computer not keeping up and more that GZDoom simply isn't designed to render such large areas. I've done a lot to combat this by either making the areas out of less physical geometry (3d model conversion) or at the minimum making sure there's little to no gameplay in the worst offending spots, but feedback like this can help narrow down more places I can improve.

That said, I'm assuming that this isn't happening 24/7 and there is particular areas that are tanking the most? If you can help narrow down which areas these are, it's potentially possible for me to improve the performance in those areas (largely by changing as much geometry as possible into 3D models). Hope it hasn't been too much trouble for you.

From my own testing (AMD Ryzen 7, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080) these are the places I know still suffer (often less than 60fps):

Spoiler

MAP03, approaching the giant elevator shaft.

MAP03, if one of the boss attacks aligns with the point that the elevator moves.

MAP00, any outdoor part.

MAP07, the whole thing.

MAP08, later half of the boss fight.

Thanks, man. I appreciate your work. And also I completely understand the limits of GZDOOM when it comes to running these complex mapsets. 

I've only played the first level, but the area that tanked fps for me was actually one of the first areas - when you press the first switch and head through the door to the outside area, the fps went from 141 (-3 under my monitor's refresh rate) to around 115 when moving around that area.

To be honest, it's not a problem as G-Sync tends to take care of a lot of fps fluctuations these days.  

...Ah. Back in the day of Winter's Fury, when people complained about FPS drops, they were talking about getting around ~30-40fps, so I immediately assumed it was on the far worse end. For reference, I get ~70 fps in the same area you mentioned (I aimed to try to get 60fps as much as possible as a minimum, the areas I mentioned in my previous post were all below 60 for me).

20 hours ago, Pieruskwurje said:

...Ah. Back in the day of Winter's Fury, when people complained about FPS drops, they were talking about getting around ~30-40fps, so I immediately assumed it was on the far worse end. For reference, I get ~70 fps in the same area you mentioned (I aimed to try to get 60fps as much as possible as a minimum, the areas I mentioned in my previous post were all below 60 for me).

Lol totally understandable! Thanks for your time - this wad is epic!

13 hours ago, nobleflame said:

Lol totally understandable! Thanks for your time - this wad is epic!

Glad you're having a good time!

On 11/2/2023 at 6:22 AM, Devalaous said:

Can always trust a Pieruskwurje wad to push PCs :D

While this is factually correct, I am glad to see that modern systems handle it twice as well as my current machine does! Makes me feel like getting a computer upgrade.

I've uploaded an update (2023-11-03) which is largely just for some small improvements/quality of life changes based on things I saw crop up from footage of people playing. Many of these changes were ported to Winter's Fury as well. If you haven't given either a shot yet, I hope you'll give them a chance!

Spoiler
  • Made it so the HUD is hidden during cinematics; this shouldn't have been a problem, unless you use the maximum HUD scale setting with the fullscreen status bar.
  • Following from that, I added an alternate look for the fullscreen HUD that makes it stylistically in line with the centred status bar.
  • I also added the ability to swap between this new style, the old style, no HUD, and the centred HUD in the Mod Options menu.
  • Similarly, I've made the log text appear in line lengths that should not cause wrapping when on max HUD scaling, so the text lines aren't broken up weirdly.
  • Improved visibility of the switch in MAP04 to open the central area on the red key path.
  • Changed the music in MAP03 to not get viciously copyright striked on youtube. Thanks to Deffers for pointing this out for me.
  • Fixed a bug in MAP08 that prevented the doors from opening when approached if you entered the MAP07 log area through the vent.
  • Prevented the player from falling to the bottom floor of the central area in MAP08; now must be accessed through the vent or one of the shortcuts.
  • Made the vent to access the lower area vastly more straightforward to navigate; the maze is still there if you want to get lost though.
  • Added improved gore effects; a big thanks to Gifty for letting me borrow some of the effects from Dead Marine. After seeing the opaque blood decals in Godless Night I absolutely had to track down where they came from! I mashed them together with Nash Gore and got some nice results.
  • Renamed every texture for organisational purposes; shouldn't affect the game at all, but if some kind of texture bug shows up this is probably why.

Alright, I played this and LOVED it. I doubt the thoughts in the hyperlink really would mean much to you, Pieruskwurje, but let it be known that if you're hesitant on playing UDMF PWADs, this is the one that'll sell you. In the past, it was Winter's Fury (funny how that works out, doesn't it?), but this just takes it to a whole 'nother level, man.

I did find a small area where I assume I got stuck in MAP07, among the landscape whilst trying to find my way around. I didn't play with mouselook on, and that led to me missing some things that I probably should've picked up on earlier, but that's about all the bad I can say about it. Wish I had screenshotted the softlock, but I'm sure if it could be found before, someone else'll pick up on it eventually. Or maybe there was a way out, and I just didn't notice.

Casual difficulty for me was plenty hard, thank god for the autosaves or a couple of deaths would've made me very, very upset. Overall, yeah, this is fantastic. Give the Tumblr post in the hyperlink a read if you want, but I'm happy with just telling you that this (although I played it way later than I should've) is fantastic. 

To answer the question in your Tumblr post, this mod is set in the same universe of Winter's Fury (it says so in the notes in the opening post). I made a big update to Winter's Fury for the 10th anniversary of it, so hopefully it would feel like a fresh experience if you did decide to play it again.

Regardless, thanks for playing! I'm glad you had a great time, and impressed that you completed it without giving in to mouselook!

I actually released around 3 small updates over the past month which I was content to just upload and forget, but now I feel obliged to mention all of the small bugs I have fixed:

Spoiler
  • Updated the GLDEFS to include glows for the custom enemy projectiles, as well as updated some of the default doom glows to be attenuated where appropriate and match the colour palette of the mod.
    • Note that I haven't included glows for the bosses or player weapons due to untested concerns about further framerate loss and also being able to light up areas that shouldn't be lit.
    • The glows have been updated in Winter's Fury as well, where none of the snowy enemies had them at all!
  • Extended the Azmodual fight in MAP05? MAP06??? to include some extra sequences that should help illustrate the boss mechanics.
    • Now has it's own music track too!
  • Also changed the behaviour of the Azmodual swap mechanic slightly, where they can now no longer swap modes immediately after they've just swapped. Intent is to make it clearer that that the pain state does indeed trigger this effect, which if they trigger twice in a row it can be misleading.
  • Added some extra features to MAP06(??????) to better guide the player to the switch locations.
  • Updated the Cyberdemon fight in MAP04 to:
    • Stop him from getting caught underneath some of the detail when the bridge raises,
    • Stop him from running off to the sides and creating an awkward fight,
    • Locks the player in for a period of time, but they can still escape through the front if they're daring enough.
    • Give a Soulsphere to the player.
  • Updated the visual fidelity of the power coupling explosion slightly; this thing had been this way since 2009!
  • Added modern MAPINFO compat settings that stop players from rocket jumping and pushing living monsters off edges. I have designed the mod so you shouldn't be able to break it even if you do rocket jump, but I don't really want to encourage it. Archvile jumping is still valid however!
  • Fixed a bug in the Archfault code that made it so that resurrections could still occur even after the Archfault is long dead.
  • Fixed a visual glitch in MAP07 where the ceiling portal model bleeds into the orange key button area.
  • Fixed an elevator on MAP07 that can become detached from it's neighbouring sectors.
  • Changed the time it takes for the wall blocking the exit corridor in MAP07 to fade away to hopefully stop players from flipping the switch and immediately walking away without looking first.
  • Updated a few of the triggers for some of the messages in maps 04 and 05, as there's many which you just would never have the chance to see unless you're specifically looking for them.
  • Added a few more areas where you can see somebody.
  • Added a cleaner animation for the monitor at the start of MAP05.
  • Changed the balance of the fight at the end of MAP02 on easier difficulties.
  • Probably some other stuff I didn't write down related to organisation that is only on the backend anyway!

Thanks again to everyone who played. I will definitely try to meet your expectations again.

Congratulations on the well-deserved Cacoward! I just finished playing this (and Winter's Fury before that) and was blown away. It feels "modern" in all the right ways while retaining what makes Doom fun, and following Jacob's journey was surprisingly compelling (though I'm sure I missed a lot, I barely found any secrets). About my only complaint is that in MAP04 I had a hard time figuring out where to go and spent a good while wandering around aimlessly (to be fair that is consistent with the plot at that point in the game).

A quick note about compatibility with Nash Gore in case anyone runs into the same problem I did: In MAP05, Nash Gore can break certain doors. There are some door sequences (the first being shortly after getting the blue key) where a door closes behind you and then a door opens in front of you. With Nash Gore, there's a possibility that the door doesn't close and nothing happens after that. You can tell when this happens because there will be an invisible barrier in the place of the door preventing you from getting in the way of the door or running out as it's closing, so you'll just be stuck. If this happens, clear the gore and the door will close (use the button in the Nash Gore menu or bind the action to a key). My guess as to what's happening is that the door waits for its path to be clear before closing, but the gore causes it to think there's something in the way. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this they see this post and don't waste a bunch of time on it like I did trying to figure it out.

In map 07 I got

Spoiler

a hidden yellow-orange? key, and I activated this switch, but not sure what it did

image.png.f14841c8f1b3e612b520cccf65c84e3c.png

I'm curious, because I have read there is a secret exit or something like that.

34 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

I'm curious, because I have read there is a secret exit or something like that.

Spoiler

There is no secret exit in MAP07, but your actions have indeed opened something that's better left to the unknown.

If you want more in-depth spoilers, read the next hidden section.

Spoiler

No secret exits per se, but there is two different endings; one can only be achieved by finding hidden logs in each major level and then finding all the same logs in MAP08. It's absolutely not mandatory, so feel free to just enjoy the playthrough and only dig deep if you want to know more.

In map 01 the room to the log book is nearly closed and I can't enter in. If I detroy the generator the door completely closes. How can I reach the book? 

1 hour ago, Lord Pavis said:

In map 01 the room to the log book is nearly closed and I can't enter in. If I detroy the generator the door completely closes. How can I reach the book? 

There's a few generators that are optional, you have to try and destroy as few of them as possible. Some of them only unlock shortcuts but are not required to finish the level.

For each generator you destroy, the door closes a bit more. I think you're only allowed to destroy 2 of them if I remember correctly.