Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I haven't seen any signs of slowdown yet on my pc. I'm keeping the scenes fairly small, at least so far. I'm sure before I'm done I'll have to build at least one huge area, but thats most likely going to take place outdoors where I wont need many lights.

If a dynamic light cannot be seen, does it still light? Not trying to be funny with that, just curious of the engines efficiency. I know it doesn't draw 3d sectors that are not in view, but haven't seen anything about lights. 

I think I have a good base set of textures now, kind of a black and blue look. Opinions? BTW, every time I take a screenie, GZDOOM crashes, btu still writes the screenie...odd.

Edited by kdoom : Clear space

I think it looks great. There's a definite clean Kesler feel to it and it sure looks exactly like I would expect from you. But imho it's also almost too clean, almost sterile. The scene's missing some "life". Or maybe you just haven't put it in yet. It's a subjective matter ofc, so I won't tell you it's wrong :)

Thank you Chris, but it's far from done. This is just bare rooms, I'll add my usual scenery stuff. Computer consoles, machines making noise, etc. Every time I fire up the engine to do a walk through, I see a new spot to add details. Thats how I've always done mapping. I never plan a map, it's all spontaneous. The freedom of the 3d stuff really adds to my layout, because I can twist the map progression around and overlap easily with 3d floors...I'm enjoying this more than I expected to!

I've given it the title "The Slime Factory" although this screenie doesn't show any signs of the green slime, it'll be there soon enough. Also, my texture directory is already 11mb, so I'll probably hold off release to add at least one more map...maybe more if time allows it. If anyone ends up downloading this, they deserve a few maps at least, for the file size.

Sounds good! Once you get all that extra stuff in there, it's going to look awesome! I'm very much looking forward to the release.

I never plan a map either. I also just keep adding stuff, going back to delete, change or correct stuff. Continously expanding the map. That was a lot harder - if not impossible - with the old editors. DB makes working like this a lot easier.

I chose zdoom acs for scripting, because thats what I know how to use.

I have a script:

script 1 (void)

{

// 3d lift controller after yellow door

Floor_RaiseByValue( 25, 16, 128);

Ceiling_RaiseByValue( 25, 16, 128);

Delay ( 20);

Floor_LowerByValue ( 25, 16, 128);

Ceiling_LowerByValue( 25, 16, 128);

}

but when I hit the switch ( with type 80 ) in-game, I get an "unknown script 1" message.

Edited by kdoom

Ok, I have the scripts working now, but now I cannot get that delay to work. The sector floor and ceiling moves up 128 and the script stops there. I've searched through the acs help on the zdoom wiki, but I dont see what I'm doing wrong.

The delay appears a bit short so the script probably continues before the movement has stopped. In that case the lowering movement will fail.

It's best to first use 'tagwait' to wait until the movement stops and then 'delay' if you want it to wait longer.

I ended up switching mine to something that goes to nearest...I found if I spammed the script trigger in game, the lift would vanish into the ceiling lol. I should have known better anyway, but thanks for the help everyone!

Still plugging away. Typical to my "style" of unplanned mapping, I've started over 3 times so far.

Edited by kdoom : Clear space

1 hour ago, kdoom said:

map01ss.jpg

Great to see one of my favorite mappers from the late 1990s still kicking!

Nice screenshot there, great use of the sky.

Added rusty variants of my textures for the outdoor scenes, and did a little more work on the area surrounding the building. Fun stuff.

Edited by kdoom

a glimpse at indoors. Work is going slow lately, not much free time.

Edited by kdoom : Old versions

On 6/24/2018 at 9:58 AM, kdoom said:

Added rusty variants of my textures for the outdoor scenes, and did a little more work on the area surrounding the building. Fun stuff.

map01ss2.jpg

In my opinion there's something about the rusty metal textures that makes the stairs look unappealing. I sill like the theme though.

1 hour ago, mun said:

In my opinion there's something about the rusty metal textures that makes the stairs look unappealing. I sill like the theme though.

I didn't want to use the same metals indoors and out...thats just not right, imho. Also, some of the texture details are lost in my jpg conversion of the screenies. Theres more detail to them when playing the game in gzdoom. Still I'll keep your comment in mind. I appreciate the opinion.

A little more progress. I really enjoy how I can make a map twist over/under itself with the 3d floors.

Edited by kdoom

24mb's of textures so far. Nothing shader related, just high res stuff. I started out just tweaking some of Dooms textures, but I've slowly just made everything over from scratch. Some of these will look familiar, as I thought it would be cool if they resembled original Doom stuff. I want to make at least 2 maps before I release this mess. Once I do, I'll give open permissions on the texture set. These are not doom color friendly though they are 24bit color .png.

The periodic updates on your work are fun to read! That base facade looks like trademark Kesler under the hi-res textures. Looking forward to reviewing your new progeny

Edited by kmxexii

3 hours ago, kdoom said:

A little more progress. I really enjoy how I can make a map twist over/under itself with the 3d floors.

Just keep in mind that - depending on what you are doing - portals can be a better solution.

I enjoy letting the player see an area above/below them, then later they find themselves there. I know this can be done without 3d shit, but the 3d shit looks better! This also helps give a non-linear feel to a map, imho.

Haha, there’s something special about watching what I consider a mapping legend learn new mapping tools.

I appreciate that thought, but I'm an old mapper, not a legend. Iv'e seen many mappers from way back that are better than my work.